How literate was the area Jesus supposedly preached in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2016, 09:07 AM
RE: How literate was the area Jesus supposedly preached in?
(27-07-2016 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 08:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I already linked you in the other thread to what Catholics believe. The fact there are a few recent people who *dare* go against their tradition, is meaningless.
Josephus repeated the entire "schtick" (now debunked) of the OT Jewish history. The fact there is a "hole" without him is just too damn bad. You don't get to keep "sources" you like just to fill up your holes. Yes, I think his "work" is totally biased. And it's not "our source". You are not a scholar of anything.

I want to hear in your own words. What do Catholics believes in regards to James being the brother of the lord. What do they see "brother" to mean here?

Earlier I suggested they saw him as a step brother, a son of Joseph through a previous marriage, as suggested in the 2nd Century. Protoevangelium of James,, but there's another interpretation as well, they see the term brother as indicating a close relative, like a cousin.

Why does the Catholic Church hold such a view, rendered as ridiculous by many Catholic scholars themselves? To preserve the perpetual virginity of Mary, why else.

I could care less what you want, Tomato.
A few are not "many''. BILLIONS of Catholics, including ALMOST ALL their theologians and scholars don't buy your bullshit.
Look it up yourself.
You refused to discuss Tillich or any other theologian when I challenged your garbage about no one here understanding the "nuances".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2016, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 09:17 AM by Tomasia.)
(27-07-2016 09:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I could care less what you want, Tomato.
A few are not "many''. BILLIONS of Catholics, including ALMOST ALL their theologians and scholars don't buy your bullshit.
Look it up yourself.
You refused to discuss Tillich or any other theologian when I challenged your garbage about no one here understanding the "nuances".

I told you I haven't read much of Tillich to discuss his views with you. We didn't get around to reading him, in my advanced degree program at the prestigious Patriot University of Del Norte. We spent much of our accelerated Doctorate program studying the theologian Jack T. Chick instead.

I do like how you hop from one question to the next. In the previous post I highlighted the Catholic views, and why the Catholics are inclined to believe this, did I answer your question sufficiently here?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-07-2016, 09:42 AM
(27-07-2016 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  We spent much of our accelerated Doctorate program studying the theologian Jack T. Chick instead.

The same guy responsible for the "Chick Tracts"?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
27-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Quote:So just how literate were those areas?

The answer to your question is "not very." But it is even more nuanced than that. The Romans attained a literacy rate of about 10% but that is because the army taught basic literacy to the legionaries. It is a far cry from being able to read your name on the duty roster in basic Latin for cleaning the latrines and being able to read complex philosophical treatises in Greek. For that you are probably looking at the top 1% of the elite and professional scribes.

Dismiss all this jesus-freak horseshit that they devised in the 4th century to give themselves a pedigree. Realistically we are looking at oral tales which spread and changed until someone wrote them down centuries later.

Remember that later xtian authors, such as Irenaeus and Tertullian tell us themselves that the FIRST xtian canon was produced by the alleged heretic Marcion in the mid 2d century. Kick that around inside your head for a while.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-07-2016, 10:05 AM
(27-07-2016 09:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  We spent much of our accelerated Doctorate program studying the theologian Jack T. Chick instead.

The same guy responsible for the "Chick Tracts"?

Yes, he did publish numerous abbreviated scholarly pamphlets for lay masses, informing them of the history of the Catholic Church, Islam, and the data indicating the dangers of alcohol consumption and rock music.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:and the data indicating the dangers of alcohol consumption and rock music.

What about jerking off? Jesus hates jerking off!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
27-07-2016, 10:16 AM
(27-07-2016 10:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 09:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The same guy responsible for the "Chick Tracts"?

Yes, he did publish numerous abbreviated scholarly pamphlets for lay masses, informing them of the history of the Catholic Church, Islam, and the data indicating the dangers of alcohol consumption and rock music.

Yeah, that's him.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
27-07-2016, 10:17 AM
(27-07-2016 09:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  3 % literacy.
.... which is one of the reasons SO much bullshit could have been made up, and foisted on the populace. They would have no way of knowing what was really going on, or how to verify anything.
http://blogforthelordjesuscurrentevents....t-century/

So with only a 3% literacy rate who were the members of the upper class (and apparent heretics) who were willing to write, publish, and disperse the material pertaining to Jesus' supposed ministry? The doing of such sounds like a dance with death to me considering how society was back then and also sounds like a huge risk to take if you're simply trying to manipulate what would have been, I assume, (at the very start at least) poor, illiterate, and small groups of people. What's the pay off for such a conspiracy? I mean some pretty big risks are being taken and it would seem only luck would have it that the faith spread the way it did (assuming it was a pre-contrived conspiracy) and furthermore did not initially produce anything other than violent persecution. Were such enterprises common back then? (And if so, did the participants take out life insurance beforehand?)
27-07-2016, 10:22 AM
(27-07-2016 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 09:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I told you I haven't read much of Tillich to discuss his views with you. We didn't get around to reading him, in my advanced degree program at the prestigious Patriot University of Del Norte. We spent much of our accelerated Doctorate program studying the theologian Jack T. Chick instead.

I do like how you hop from one question to the next. In the previous post I highlighted the Catholic views, and why the Catholics are inclined to believe this, did I answer your question sufficiently here?

It's not "prestigious". Stop lying to yourself and others. It's unaccredited, and one of the biggest jokes around. "Accelerated" my ass.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-07-2016, 10:25 AM
(27-07-2016 10:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 09:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I told you I haven't read much of Tillich to discuss his views with you. We didn't get around to reading him, in my advanced degree program at the prestigious Patriot University of Del Norte. We spent much of our accelerated Doctorate program studying the theologian Jack T. Chick instead.

It's not "prestigious". Stop lying to yourself and others. It's unaccredited, and one of the biggest jokes around. "Accelerated" my ass.
Facepalm

"Prestigious" = Infamous
"Accelerated" = bullshit of the highest order that is so easy and condensed, that it won't take you long to finish

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post