How literate was the area Jesus supposedly preached in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 02:21 AM
RE: How literate was the area Jesus supposedly preached in?
(27-07-2016 05:40 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 07:34 PM)seoq Wrote:  I was thinking today about some of the questions I asked in the Contemporary Accounts of Jesus thread and realized there are a few others I should probably be asking (or asking again). One of the things bugging me when I started that thread was that there weren't any letters or correspondence between people in the areas Jesus was supposedly preaching and performing miracles in mentioning the incredible things he was supposedly doing. Only material that originated in the faith and was spread in order to proselytize. I mean it would only follow that people witnessing such amazing things would write to each other and spread news of it.

So just how literate were those areas? Does correspondence or other such material from that area and time period exist in such a way where we can observe a lack of material pertaining to Jesus' ministry?

Gamaliel; who was a leader in the Sanhedrin, would have mentioned something. In fact, he probably would/should have been there when Jesus was on trial, and he would have argued against putting Jesus to death, just as he did with Peter years later.

Another notable no-mention during the times of Jesus. Consider

just as he did with Peter years later.

Yabut... so it says in the book of Acts... bear in mind Acts is one massive work of fiction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
28-07-2016, 05:13 AM
(27-07-2016 05:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  They could have come in a Hummer. Consider

Having sex in a gas guzzler doesn't mean they owned it. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2016, 05:16 AM
(28-07-2016 02:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 05:40 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Gamaliel; who was a leader in the Sanhedrin, would have mentioned something. In fact, he probably would/should have been there when Jesus was on trial, and he would have argued against putting Jesus to death, just as he did with Peter years later.

Another notable no-mention during the times of Jesus. Consider

just as he did with Peter years later.

Yabut... so it says in the book of Acts... bear in mind Acts is one massive work of fiction.

That darn book keeps fooling me. Facepalm

Though Gamaliel was around during the supposed trial of Jesus, why wouldn't he mention anything about an event that convened the Sanhedrin during the Passover?

Why wouldn't any member of the Sanhedrin mention it?

Not a single mention from any of it's members.....Consider

A conspiracy of silence from a council that had 71 members in it, a significant portion of which were scribes?

A council which had opposing groups in it, yet they all agreed, let's not mention the "J-word".

Kind of makes you wonder if there's a single thing in the gospel accounts that isn't made up.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-07-2016, 05:40 AM
(28-07-2016 05:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 02:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:   just as he did with Peter years later.

That darn book keeps fooling me. Facepalm

Though Gamaliel was around during the supposed trial of Jesus, why wouldn't he mention anything about an event that convened the Sanhedrin during the Passover?

A conspiracy of silence from a council that had 71 members in it, a significant portion of which were scribes?

A council which had opposing groups in it, yet they all agreed, let's not mention the "J-word".

Kind of makes you wonder if there's a single thing in the gospel accounts that isn't made up.

And why wouldn't even one of Gamaliel's famous students mention that one of their select number (Paul) was :
a. persecuting Jews (members of the "Way" sect)
b. stopped doing that, and started preaching it himself ?

I smell a rat.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2016, 05:50 PM
(28-07-2016 05:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 05:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  That darn book keeps fooling me. Facepalm

And why wouldn't even one of Gamaliel's famous students mention that one of their select number (Paul) was :
a. persecuting Jews (members of the "Way" sect)
b. stopped doing that, and started preaching it himself ?

I smell a rat.

Paul being a student of Gamaliel is another of the lies in Acts. Paul himself writes nothing about growing up in Jerusalem, or Gamaliel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post