How little you need for happiness.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2011, 07:28 PM

How little you need for happiness.
We are retired and live under the official poverty line. We live on our modest Canadian pension and a small income from our online book business.

Yet, we are very happy with our lives.

Our lives are full with creative work and pleasant relaxation: reading, music, science, art, animals, nature, sharing and communicating.

None of that costs much money.

It wasn’t always like that. I used to believe in the “American Dream” – the worst wasted periods of my life.

Now, sometime I think far too late, I realize how easy happiness is to achieve – don’t listen to the advertisers, listen to what your heart tells you: happiness is all around you, just let it embrace you….what you thought you wanted is not really what you want.

If you have an insight on how to easily achieve true happiness, please share it with us.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
20-09-2011, 09:24 PM
RE: How little you need for happiness.
I have a good story about this if I can get to a keyboard soon.

A minimalist life is definitely a means to happiness. I'm glad you have found that, that is my dream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2011, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2011 10:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
I'm thinking an inverse correlation. And I got this here Bible passage I've been saving in my pocket to back me up for just such an occasion.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." - Mark 10:25, KJB.

The more you have, the more you want, the less happy you will be. (If you can't appreciate this truth intuitively, just look to the addicts (of whatever) closest to you. If you still can't grasp this truth then dare to walk its path yourself. I guarantee you will find it.) Eliminate wants and minimize needs and you won't be capable of not being happy. ... or at least that's what I've read, for whatever that's worth..

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-09-2011, 02:15 AM
It's very true. I recently spent a great deal of time sailing around on a very small little sailboat with some friends. We had food, books, and that was it. Over a month with no phone, no tv, no internet. The only electronic device we had was that two of us brought Amazon Kindles to save space so we didn't have dozens of books.

It was quite remarkable, one of the happiest times of my life.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
21-09-2011, 06:46 AM
All my heart seems to tell me is that I need more blu-rays and a bigger TV. I'm only 19 though, maybe I'll grow out of materialism.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-09-2011, 05:34 PM

(21-09-2011 06:46 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  All my heart seems to tell me is that I need more blu-rays and a bigger TV. I'm only 19 though, maybe I'll grow out of materialism.

Take a look at the 'Needs and Wants' thread.

I think your heart tells you that you want those things, but don't really need them.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2011 08:40 PM by bemore.)
I used to think money would buy me happiness........trouble was I never really had the opportunity to show my skills academically, so getting a good job was hard. So I eventually got a job in sales and worked my way up the ranks with lots of hard work till I was on pretty good money for my age (minimum £500 a week....7-8 years ago)
Pretty soon I realised that the money that I had......I just spent on materialistic "tat" and that the stress I had at work was not really worth it.....sometimes I used to get home and mentally I just couldnt unwind.

Now I work for my local council (which for people outside of the UK is like your local goverment authority) as a refuse collector......I chase a bin lorry round all day emptying "wheelie" bins with recyclables in them.....and I do it for pittance (£830 a month)

I get lots of exercise as I jog around 11 miles per day and I dont have any stress....no responsibiltys other than smiling at the clients and being polite, which is easy for me to do anyway as it is in my nature.......and ive never been happier Big Grin

Ive pretty much got used to the idea that I will never own a brand new car....my own house......be able to go on expensive holidays abroad......or be able to just buy stuff on a whim like I used to and honestly it doesnt bother me.

Im luckier than most people, I have my health, I have my family and friends and I have enough money to pay my bills, buy food and occasionaly treat myself to something nice........I dont really need anything other than that.

EDIT: Oh yes and I have my mind......which i rate as one of my most valued possesions.......if I lost my ability to think in my own terms or had to endure stuff being forced upon me mentally I dont think I would want to live. I dont want to be a zombie like 98% of the population.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.