How long does it take for a dying star to go nova?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 11:28 PM
How long does it take for a dying star to go nova?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR42N_9L2...y_received

Watch this old clip of Smallville and towards the end of it Kara says, that Clark better hurry to get his younger self into the escape pod because the sun is about to go supernova.

I would argue that even though Krypton was very advance there would be no way Kal-Els ship would survive a Supernova, no matter how advanced it may or may not be.

Though i may have to retract that statement because i don´t know how long it takes for a star to go nova once it has reached the stage of collapse.

So how long does it take from the final stages of its life till at least it explodes?
Is it something that happens in the blink of an eye one minuet your staring at a red giant and the next moment kabom?
Or will the sun give of several "warning signs" before it finally explodes, if so how long do they take and hwo long between the final warning till the sun explodes?

If the latter then i would have to agree that there would have been enough of a window of opportunity for young Supermans ship to escape kryptons solar system, before the Sun went supernova.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
RE: How long does it take for a dying star to go nova?
(10-09-2013 11:28 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR42N_9L2...y_received

Watch this old clip of Smallville and towards the end of it Kara says, that Clark better hurry to get his younger self into the escape pod because the sun is about to go supernova.

I would argue that even though Krypton was very advance there would be no way Kal-Els ship would survive a Supernova, no matter how advanced it may or may not be.

Though i may have to retract that statement because i don´t know how long it takes for a star to go nova once it has reached the stage of collapse.

So how long does it take from the final stages of its life till at least it explodes?
Is it something that happens in the blink of an eye one minuet your staring at a red giant and the next moment kabom?
Or will the sun give of several "warning signs" before it finally explodes, if so how long do they take and hwo long between the final warning till the sun explodes?

If the latter then i would have to agree that there would have been enough of a window of opportunity for young Supermans ship to escape kryptons solar system, before the Sun went supernova.

Approx 1 Billion years between the start of the Red Supergiant phase and the Supernova.

Also, comic books are not reality and should not be confused with the latter.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I like explaining physics as much as the next guy, but, in this case?

Maybe try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

... this is my signature!
11-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Betelgeuse, a red supergiant star located a little over 600 light years away in the Orion constellation, has dimmed slightly over the past 10 years indicated that it may go supernova any moment. Astronomically any moment could be within the next 10,000 years, or it could be later today. (I hope it happens today…that would be awesome)

Assuming the Kryptonians had better technology and scientific knowledge to determine the imminence of it’s collapse and explosion, from the actual start of the final core collapse to it’s outward explosion would last well under one minute.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
11-09-2013, 11:54 AM
By the way, I think if Betelgeuse did go supernova within our lives all the religious end-of-the-world nuts would lose their shit. For a while it would glow as bright, even in the fully lit day time sky, as the moon. They wouldn't understand that that is a thing that is bound to happen, but think that it's some sort of sign of the end.

12-09-2013, 04:58 AM
(10-09-2013 11:28 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  Though i may have to retract that statement because i don´t know how long it takes for a star to go nova once it has reached the stage of collapse.

If you define "stage of collapse" as the moment when the star ceases to produce enough energy to balance its own gravity, then the super nova explosion happens almost instantaneously.
12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
(10-09-2013 11:28 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  I would argue that even though Krypton was very advance there would be no way Kal-Els ship would survive a Supernova, no matter how advanced it may or may not be.

If he happened to be around at that moment, he would need to escape at light speed. No ship of any kind would be able to survive if engulfed. A supernova generates more energy in a few seconds than our sun will in its entire 10,000,000,000 year lifespan.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]