How long is a day?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
RE: How long is a day?
(08-03-2016 10:12 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Also, each day is clearly a period of time when the earth rotates once on its axis but that doesn't necessarily mean the days were 24 hours long.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/0...-the-days/

Except that the earth hasn't sped up its rotation, it has been slowing very gradually. Days would have been shorter the further back you go, not longer. It also would never explain a day being billions of years long or the order of events described being wrong. YEC is simply nonsensical from every standpoint.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
08-03-2016, 10:59 AM
(08-03-2016 10:19 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 10:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I find your definition of the Jewish understanding of the word "yom" to be very good. The only tiny tweak I'd make is that instead of saying that yom means a period of light, it's better to define it as a period of darkness to light, or a period of chaos to order. IIRC, I've even heard it described as just being a period of time with a clearly defined beginning and ending which reflects some kind of change.

N-n-n-n-n-necropost!

Shhhhh! No one else noticed. And besides, I was directed to this post in another thread.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
08-03-2016, 11:02 AM
(08-03-2016 10:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 10:19 AM)cjlr Wrote:  N-n-n-n-n-necropost!

Shhhhh! No one else noticed. And besides, I was directed to this post in another thread.

As can be seen from all the responses it's not like people don't have things to say on the matter.

So my comment was really just tongue in cheek, given the 2.5 year gap...
Tongue

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-03-2016, 11:03 AM
(08-03-2016 10:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 10:12 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Also, each day is clearly a period of time when the earth rotates once on its axis but that doesn't necessarily mean the days were 24 hours long.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/0...-the-days/

Except that the earth hasn't sped up its rotation, it has been slowing very gradually. Days would have been shorter the further back you go, not longer. It also would never explain a day being billions of years long or the order of events described being wrong. YEC is simply nonsensical from every standpoint.

Well; "hours" are arbitrary, but, yeah. Objects don't gain angular momentum over time for no reason.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-03-2016, 11:04 AM
(08-03-2016 10:12 AM)theophilus Wrote:  However not all YECs believe the sun was created on the fourth day. The Bible says God placed lights in the sky on that day but it doesn't say he created the bodies that produced the lights then.

I don't think arguing for light without light sources is exactly helping you here.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
08-03-2016, 07:10 PM
(07-03-2016 10:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 08:25 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It is recognized, of course, that the word "day" can be used with a number of variations. It can have any of five meanings: 1) a period of light; 2) a period of 24 hours; 3) a general, vague time; 4) a point of time; 5) a year.

I find your definition of the Jewish understanding of the word "yom" to be very good. The only tiny tweak I'd make is that instead of saying that yom means a period of light, it's better to define it as a period of darkness to light, or a period of chaos to order. IIRC, I've even heard it described as just being a period of time with a clearly defined beginning and ending which reflects some kind of change.

Thumbsup

I take that as a compliment as I view you as our resident expert in Judaism, an area I could use some schooling on. I lean knowledge wise mostly on the americanized version of christian delusion..with a decent ability to completely eviscerate Mormonism and Scientology, but that isnt much to brag about...ripping apart something that is absolutely bonafide pure 100% made up BS with not a scrap of truth in it... even by accident.....doesnt take much talent. but I do enjoy running them through the blender. Evil_monster

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
08-03-2016, 07:20 PM
(08-03-2016 10:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 10:19 AM)cjlr Wrote:  N-n-n-n-n-necropost!

That was me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Long enough for my agenda, too short for yours. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-03-2016, 08:55 AM
A day is as long as the day is long.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-03-2016, 09:35 AM
(08-03-2016 10:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Except that the earth hasn't sped up its rotation, it has been slowing very gradually. Days would have been shorter the further back you go, not longer. It also would never explain a day being billions of years long or the order of events described being wrong. YEC is simply nonsensical from every standpoint.

The earth's rotational speed is slowing now, but the flood was the result of a catastrophe that upset the normal order of events.

(08-03-2016 11:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't think arguing for light without light sources is exactly helping you here.

The sources of light existed. They just couldn't be seen until the fourth day.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.