When it can no longer fit.

....oh is that not what we were talking about? My bad. Angel

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
28-11-2014, 11:17 AM
RE: How long is too long?
(28-11-2014 10:15 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  When it can no longer fit.

....oh is that not what we were talking about? My bad. Angel

Actually, that does fit in with what we were talking about. Wink

Slowly but surely, religion will no longer fit the needs of survival for the species to thrive. It has already proved itself to be a deterrent to survival for some. A culture can keep itself together and progress in fairly secular ways. It is no wonder that today many Jews consider themselves atheist; they've certainly had enough time to see the old dogma just doesn't work.

It takes education. This is why fanatics shun education outside of faith. The fundamentalist christee is no different than the fundamental islamist - both are restrictive, repressive, and oppressive of their own following. Fundamental religion is a continuing cycle of abuse and because it is accepted as "a cultural thing", it is consistently given a pass.

How long is too long? I dont know.

I do know that I'm living right now and I try my damnedest to live the change I want to see for our species. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
28-11-2014, 11:21 AM
(28-11-2014 10:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "How long is too long?"

Oh. I thought ...
never mind. Angel
Get your mind out of the gutter, young man. Laugh out load

I see the cops are on duty. Glad I didn't type in that response I had on the "Jesus should have come by now?" thread.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
28-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Religion already doesn't do anything to help us survive. Everything it does to is replaceable with a kinder easier solution.

It's true that religions of the past were defeated by usually other religions and that was the main cause of religious death, but there was also lack of popularity that helped things along. Since people had such a hard time getting information certain ideas would linger and become a part of the culture.

Things don't necessarily work that way anymore with information being so easily obtained for things to work into the culture it just takes popularity, not even how honest it is. This is why I can't envision how things will end for most popular religions still around today. Maybe a new one that is just too cool will sweep the world like angry cat and convert the people who have already altered their religion to meet societies ever changing moral structure.

Then Christianity can be practiced by smaller fringe groups like the way witch covens are today. As time goes on it can convert more and more followers to the old way until one day they strap bombs onto their chests and kill for their god. History does have a way of repeating itself.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2014, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 07:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
If you consider how long humans have been around, how long religions have been around, (Anthropology knows approximately when symbolic burials began ... I think it was two separate waves, one very old, (300,000 years ago) and one 40,000 years ago) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_religion
I think that since the scientific revolution could be said to be in it's relative infancy, we're doing pretty well.

What I think would be interesting to see, would be, no doubt, in the far future, there are bound to be nut-cases who will, now and then, come along and try to revive long dead religions, and get a certain number of followers, then they will die out again, and get revived again, probably for a long long time. On the other hand, if (as Kurzweil thinks) humanity is about to undergo a "singularity" and experience a vast explosion in human knowledge and capacity, then maybe I'm all wrong....which reminds me....there was this thing on the BBC last night about Acquired Savant Syndrome, (there are only a few known cases .. which you can Google). But in light of those, would it not be reasonable to think there are VAST untapped brain resources in everyone, going unused that we have yet to learn to tap ? http://www.medicaldaily.com/rain-mans-co...ses-287426

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-11-2014, 07:10 PM
(28-11-2014 05:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But in light of those, would it not be reasonable to think there are VAST untapped brain resources in everyone, going unused that we have yet to learn to tap?

I know someone that hasn’t even begun to tap Dodgy
(Fundamentalist Mom at a Natural History Museum)
so I’d rephrase it as “...brain resources in almost everyone...”

Thanks for the links.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-11-2014, 06:50 AM
(28-11-2014 05:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If you consider how long humans have been around, how long religions have been around, (Anthropology knows approximately when symbolic burials began ... I think it was two separate waves, one very old, (300,000 years ago) and one 40,000 years ago) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_religion
I think that since the scientific revolution could be said to be in it's relative infancy, we're doing pretty well.

What I think would be interesting to see, would be, no doubt, in the far future, there are bound to be nut-cases who will, now and then, come along and try to revive long dead religions, and get a certain number of followers, then they will die out again, and get revived again, probably for a long long time. On the other hand, if (as Kurzweil thinks) humanity is about to undergo a "singularity" and experience a vast explosion in human knowledge and capacity, then maybe I'm all wrong....which reminds me....there was this thing on the BBC last night about Acquired Savant Syndrome, (there are only a few known cases .. which you can Google). But in light of those, would it not be reasonable to think there are VAST untapped brain resources in everyone, going unused that we have yet to learn to tap ? http://www.medicaldaily.com/rain-mans-co...ses-287426

Yabbut, the disregard for gays, the subjugation of women, the fear of the different (like racism) and such have been around forever too. They still exist, but they are waning. They will never be all gone, but they won't dominate. I see nothing different for religion. None of these things will ever be wiped out, they just won't be the norm.

Unless, like I said, world war 3 gets started over it and the religious win, society shall evolve on that matter, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-11-2014, 04:25 PM
That's always a worry too. Suddenly the growth of a religion is too fast and violent for our PC culture to stop. People are afraid to offend to the point of dangerous. They won't say something is wrong if someone else believes it often until its too late.

I can see religions like Islam running far out of control and dominating the world or forcing people to choose another religion like Christianity just to have a majority vote. Its not like its currently one of the friendliest of the world's religions. But it is the fastest growing.

Maybe instead of our great grandchildren seeing an end to majority religions they will see the rise of the burka. I have a daughter so such things terrify me. They don't exactly see females as equal. No matter what they say on TV.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-11-2014, 06:24 PM
The parts of religion that can be replaced by other secular means have already been replaced or duplicated.
The emotional need for religion is something that can never be replaced because of fear.
Fear is the powerful engine that drives religion.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post