How long will it take for religion to die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 03:02 PM
How long will it take for religion to die out?
This is sort of just a "have fun" type conversation but I often envision myself asking a prolific atheist (maybe Seth perhaps) about his opinion on the matter.

My actual question stems from this: Every few days I see new polls indicating that the religious side is slowly dying out. Nothing major, but fewer people are clinging to a god concept.

So, how long do you think it will be until we are free from religion? When will "still believing in a god" be taboo and looked at as silly (by the populace, not just us)?

I often think about where we will be as a society in 100 years on this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 03:06 PM
RE: How long will it take for religion to die out?
Apparently humans are hard-wired to make shit up when they don't understand the world around them so I don't see religion ever disappearing but with the availability of information through technology maybe organized religion will be but a ghost of it's former self someday soon.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I think it will become the minority eventually but never die out. I don't forsee this happening in my lifetime.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
10-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Somewhere around 400,000 - 5 1/2 million years.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
As a cooperative species we are also hard-wired for obedience to authority, often blind, unquestioning obedience (Which would be useful in cooperative hunts). In the Stanley Milgram experiment, most subjects were willing to shock a stranger to death just because the experiment's director told them to. Look up the strip-search phone call scam (the basis of the movie "Compliance"). It is not an incident that happened in one store- the man pretending to be a police officer did it over 70 times and the store managers ALWAYS obeyed.

If you compare the brain to a computer, this is a vulnerability in our operating system. Some people, namely bullies and con artists, have learned to exploit this.

When the stories, lies, myths and commands take on a life of their own, it becomes a religion. It is no longer spread by the original liar, but by its well-meaning victims. The original exploit ends up replicating itself, mutating and changing as it needs to.

In our computer analogy religion is a virus.
[+] 4 users Like FlyingPizzaMonster's post
10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
It will always exist. The only way it could die out is if a computer chip was implanted in everyones brain that deleted our fear of death.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I live in california, so I have come across a lot of people with wishy washy faith. I think, rather soon actually, most people will have less than definite feelings about god, the bible, whatever. I don't know how long it will be before most people identify as atheist or agnostic. Probably a long time.
10-10-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it'll happen faster then people expect.
Here 50% of people my age group (18-25) identify as non-religious compared to something like 10% for people 65+.
It's even higher among teenagers.

So maybe in 200 years or so when a couple generations have been and gone the world will be a very different place, religiously.

This is of course for western countries. Backwards countries like middle eastern countries and USA will obviously take longer.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I think we'll see the larger orthodox religions decline to the point of irrelevance within a few decades, however; I'm afraid that we'll replace it with a lot of BS woo. So we'll have the rational disconnect as always and it will get even dumber and more individualized.

Sham Wow religion for the masses from the likes of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, etc. As long as a buck can be made off of the gullible, the industry will continue until our monkey brains can stop being fooled by it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I don't think it will ever die out for a couple of reasons.
  • Most people simply cannot think critically. They lack the capacity. They cannot be taught to think critically. They cannot be persuaded to think critically. They fear those who do think critically. I know this is a very negative view of humanity but that's what I see.
  • Clarke's Third Law: A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Most people have no idea how things about them work. Computers, cell phones, GPS, even their cars, they are clueless. A small cadre of experts runs everything. As science provides them with more and more they will understand it less and less. They will begin to worship the computers and revere those who run the computers, a new power structure of priests and acolytes. Blessed are the geek for they shall inherit the earth.

A possible alternative to the above might be brought about by the discovery for a cure for aging. I believe that within the next 100 years we will be able to cure any disease (including aging) and repair any trauma. The only way anyone will die will be if someone kills them or they have an accident and do not get medical help in time or they starve to death. Otherwise their life span will be indeterminate. They won't live forever, but without the constant daily reminders of funerals, wars, murders and epidemics they won't think about death so much and will cease to fear it.

Sapere aude