How long will it take for religion to die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 05:45 PM
RE: How long will it take for religion to die out?
(10-10-2014 03:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It will always exist. The only way it could die out is if a computer chip was implanted in everyones brain that deleted our fear of death.

Cool! So it will die in about 50-100 years when we are able to implant our consciousness into computers.

Which is 100% the reason I refuse to die before the age of 150 so I can do it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 11:27 PM
seriously humans are hardwired to make shti up to explain shit they don't understand and sometimes that made up shit is too addictive

when critical thinking and education work their "magic" and bring out the true potential of the indoctrinated minds and puts it to proper use only then will religion face death
10-10-2014, 11:48 PM
(10-10-2014 03:25 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Somewhere around 400,000 - 5 1/2 million years.

Bah. If we survive even 40k years as a species, we're totally going interstellar, even if it's STL. That means a thousand different offshoot colonies and cultures. If religion isn't dead by then, it's getting seeded throughout various star systems and NEVER dying. Like a virus that escapes containment.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-10-2014, 12:22 AM
According to this dude, the swing from theism to atheism as a majority will be 2038.

Total eradication will obviously take longer.

From a social perspective, the 'tradition' factor could mean that it will take maybe 2 or 3 generations.

By this I mean that our youth is the most irreligious they have been ... evah! They will want to raise their children as skeptics / critical thinkers too.

But many will 'go along with' their parents wishes to follow the family traditions / cultures (grandparent pressure) but when they become grandparents they will be less likely to do the same.

Consider

It's a shame I won't be around to see that but if the swing happens by 2038 and I'm still breathing, I'm going to have a big party and go out with a bang.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
11-10-2014, 06:45 AM
2038?! Is he crazy? Sounds like wishful thinking myself. We are but a mere 4-5% or so. That is like, 24 years away?! Not even enough for a single generation to go by.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-10-2014, 06:56 AM
(11-10-2014 06:45 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  2038?! Is he crazy? Sounds like wishful thinking myself. We are but a mere 4-5% or so. That is like, 24 years away?! Not even enough for a single generation to go by.

Polls show that the numbers are higher than that, and the trend is upward and increasing at an accelerating rate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Religion will never completely die out on a planet of 7 billion, it is absurd to think that will happen.

In a very scientific evolutionary sense, our species has always been flawed in our perceptions, that will not change. I do think it possible however, to put more of a secular leash on government law to prevent any rise of fascism or theocracy.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2014, 07:23 AM
(11-10-2014 06:45 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  2038?! Is he crazy? Sounds like wishful thinking myself. We are but a mere 4-5% or so. That is like, 24 years away?! Not even enough for a single generation to go by.

Who is the 'we' of which you speak?

China?

Consider

(11-10-2014 06:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  ... fascism or theocracy.

Or?

I didn't realise there was a dividing line.

Huh

11-10-2014, 08:11 AM
The way I see it it's more likely that religion will never die out; however as people start getting more and more atheistic and scientifically literate I can see a big revival of naturalistic religions. I see it already where I live actually; a lot of people adopting very old pagan traditions such as the the wassail with the blessing of apple trees, and hanging up little ogham and futhark charms on trees in the winter. A couple of christmases too around here I spent the good part of a week naked and drunk around a bonfire eating stew and drinking obscene amounts of cider with a bunch of people wearing animal skulls and singing folk songs.

Personally I could very readily live in a world where everyone said "I hope the earth gives you a good harvest" instead of "God bless you", and funnily enough that looks like where it's going.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
11-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Religion seems to grow weaker with each generation. I think this has much to do with the amount of information available. Young people don't seem satisfied with the old and overly simple answers so they search.
Spirituality and faith I think are here to stay but I think we are witnessing the beginning of the end for religion. But that might just be my experience. I know a lot of people with faith but very few are religious.
All that said I'm not sure religion will die out compleatly but I do think it will come to the point where it will be so small that no one will notice it. And I think that will happen much sooner than most people think.