How long will it take for religion to die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: How long will it take for religion to die out?
Let's see, the current teen generation has access to all kinds of info, many teens are finding their way here, atheism is making headlines, people are coming out of the closet.

Back in the early 70s, gender equality, homosexuality, racism and smoking Marihuana were at the same stage.

Do the math. It takes a couple generations.

No, religion won't disappear, just like we still have discrimination against gays, women, races and weed. But things have improved immensely.

That's what I predict. The young among you will see it when they are my age, just like I got to see the results of the groundwork we laid in the 70s.

The groundwork for atheism is being laid now. I won't see it come to fruition anymore, but most of you will.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-10-2014, 07:55 AM
(10-10-2014 03:23 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think it will become the minority eventually but never die out. I don't forsee this happening in my lifetime.

This would be my guess, too.

I'll honestly be happy if we can get to a point where all the grown ups in a room can simply regard fundamentalism and YECism as a lunatic fringe and not give it any time or consideration during grown up conversations.
13-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Re: How long will it take for religion to die out?
You have to wonder how long christians will continue waiting for 'the return'? Surely in another 1000 years or so most people will have given up on their chance of rapture or will there still be a group of 'em convinced they are in the end times I wonder.

I would hope that a discovery of extra-terrestial life somewhere would be the final nail in gods coffin but I suspect there will always be a bunch of loons that could somehow work that into their myth anyway.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 08:18 AM
(13-10-2014 08:06 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  You have to wonder how long christians will continue waiting for 'the return'?

If they're sufficiently dependent on the belief, it will last quite a while. If you want a good example of this, talk to a literalist fundie about failed prophesies in the Bible. In one, God threatens Egypt saying that he'll send an army to wipe them out and will dry up the Nile. Now, that army mentioned was contemporary, but the Nile never dried up.

Fundies solve this by saying it hasn't been fulfilled yet. So, their stated position is that God told Egypt "I'm super pissed at you! I'm going to send an army to fuck you up right now, and then dry up your river at an undisclosed point in time in the future, once every one of you who has pissed me off has been dead and forgotten.".
13-10-2014, 10:56 AM
How long will it take for religion to die out?

Sooner than many on this board think actually. I would say within the next 80 years. We will someday look back on these times as the beginning of a period of time when we started to rid ourselves of accepting ignorant claims as a replacement for ignorance. And there's no doubt evolution will lead us to a more logical/skeptical mind from that point forward. Sure there are minority examples to the contrary but for the most part natural changes tend to lean towards efficiency and logic. We simply digest information and look for more in an ongoing effort to know ourselves and the cosmos. We are data consuming constructs and as more information becomes available we will consume it as well and the news keeps getting better. Within the next 20 years the idea of believing in a mythical unproven god will become more absurd as the older believers die out. 20 years after that I think the percentage of believers will be down under 20% worldwide. 40 years from that point the only remaining believers left on this planet will be small pockets of fanatics that are not consuming information, unwilling to face reality, and most likely being prayed upon by religious leaders looking to benefit from them. A lot like you see today but just a very small percentage.
13-10-2014, 11:00 AM
(13-10-2014 08:06 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  You have to wonder how long christians will continue waiting for 'the return'? Surely in another 1000 years or so most people will have given up on their chance of rapture or will there still be a group of 'em convinced they are in the end times I wonder.

Jesus and St. Paul both believed that the "end times" would come within their own generation. That was 2000 years ago. If people haven't stopped waiting after 2000 years, why would another 1000 faze 'em?
13-10-2014, 11:28 AM
It boils down to education. If Texas gets their way with science textbooks, it will be a while in the US if kids are learning intelligent design in public school. Fortunately, the influence Texas has on American education should fade with the increasing use of tablets instead of books in the classroom. I think the US will be where the UK is in about thirty years - we've got a lot of fundie baby boomers. I think in fifty years most of the developed world will be agnostic or atheist, and only the very old will continue to identify with organized religion.

The war in the Middle East needs to focus on providing education to the masses. If children are provided a proper education, instead of learning allah wants you to marry little girls and hide them away at home, it will be the death nail for extremism. I firmly believe a little girl with a book is the biggest threat to Islam. I don't think I will see religion die out in the Middle East in my lifetime. If I had it my way, instead of bombs I'd be dropping hooked on phonics, science journals, and iPads.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
13-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I see a huge change happening in the next 50 years. I'm in my 20s. I Expect my generation's grandchildren to be more likely to be a-religious than not. I see agnostic deism and agnostic atheism becoming the norm.

Religion die out? No. That's not gunna happen. Religion becoming an activity of the minority? now that is something we can look forward to. Religion thrives in a closed off environment, cut off from information and outside influence. The world is gradually becoming more and more connected. Information is becoming more and more available. And atheism is becoming less and less taboo.

What do I see stopping religion from fading out? War, widespread poverty, major natural disasters, home-schooling, and religious private schools.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
13-10-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm sure even 500 years from now there will still be people who hold to religion.
If anything new religions might form.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
15-10-2014, 01:22 PM
OP Here, thanks for all the great replies. I agree with those who feel that religion will die out (but not entirally). Just like how discrimination has become illegal, yet racism still exist.

Personally, I have a very hopeful outlook. I feel that we could be looking at religion and faith as absurd within 100 years from now. Of course, this isn't within any of our lifetimes but I think it will get better.

I saw a comic once (would love to source it if someone knows) but it shows a mom telling her son about noah's ark in which he googles it and yells "bullshit" back at her.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the replies, I've never started a conversation that went this long!