How long will it take for religion to die out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Re: RE: How long will it take for religion to die out?
(13-10-2014 01:29 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  I'm sure even 500 years from now there will still be people who hold to religion.
If anything new religions might form.

With current estimates of over 4000 religions/cults actively followed today and goodness knows how many religions that have been invented and now extinct I think it would be safe to say we will see plenty more being invented.

Makes you wonder, for any living christian say, how many different gods have been worshipped by their descendants if you trace their family history back 1000 years? Or maybe 10,000 years? I will place a £1 bet that it's more than 1.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: How long will it take for religion to die out?
(10-10-2014 03:02 PM)zellerscrossing Wrote:  This is sort of just a "have fun" type conversation but I often envision myself asking a prolific atheist (maybe Seth perhaps) about his opinion on the matter.

My actual question stems from this: Every few days I see new polls indicating that the religious side is slowly dying out. Nothing major, but fewer people are clinging to a god concept.

So, how long do you think it will be until we are free from religion? When will "still believing in a god" be taboo and looked at as silly (by the populace, not just us)?

I often think about where we will be as a society in 100 years on this subject.

It ain't gonna happen in our lifetime, that's for sure.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 02:37 PM
40 years, then the religious will be in the minority in the US.

Unless war or some huge disaster hit the homeland. Then all bets are off.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-10-2014, 02:50 PM
(15-10-2014 02:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  40 years, then the religious will be in the minority in the US.

Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike the current use of the word 'homeland'?

I feel it smacks of ultra-nationalism and xenophobia.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 02:54 PM
(15-10-2014 02:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  40 years, then the religious will be in the minority in the US.

Glad you agree with me Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Until ignorance is replaced by education and a higher quality of life replaces poverty religion will remain. The poorest countries are the most religious so that needs to change.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-10-2014, 05:34 AM
(11-10-2014 06:45 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  2038?! Is he crazy? Sounds like wishful thinking myself. We are but a mere 4-5% or so. That is like, 24 years away?! Not even enough for a single generation to go by.

The 4-5% number you cite looks like it might be self-described atheists and/or agnostics. The number of non-religious people in the US is closer to 20%, and that's the figure the guy was using to calculate his 2038 date. He basically followed the trends of the increase of people identifying as non-religious, extrapolated it, and came up with the year 2038 for when it would exceed 50%.

I agree that it does sound fast, and there are a lot of things that could affect it. Still, as Chas said, the rate has been increasing (at least in developed countries) for a while, now.

(15-10-2014 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike the current use of the word 'homeland'?

It doesn't help that the word always makes me think of the Department of Homeland Security.
16-10-2014, 05:54 AM
(15-10-2014 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike the current use of the word 'homeland'?

Could be worse.

It could be the Mother's Father's Homeland.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-10-2014, 06:15 AM
(15-10-2014 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  

You are not alone in that feeling. It brings a picture of Germany pre WWII to my mind.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
16-10-2014, 06:16 AM
(15-10-2014 04:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Until ignorance is replaced by education and a higher quality of life replaces poverty religion will remain. The poorest countries are the most religious so that needs to change.

Like 'Murica? Big Grin

I don't know what will finally cause religion to die out but education is on top of the list as you say.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce