How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 04:58 PM

I don't know but it takes them an hour and a half. The right front fender has to be removed.Facepalm The light in question was the right front turn signal.

Cost $5. Outrageous!

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?
My sister has 2005 Sebring.
To replace the battery, you need to remove the left front tire and inner fender/splash guard.
Facepalm
03-03-2017, 06:46 PM
(03-03-2017 04:58 PM)f stop Wrote:  Cost $5. Outrageous!

Call the feds. This is a racket!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
03-03-2017, 09:30 PM
(03-03-2017 04:58 PM)f stop Wrote:  How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

I don't know but it takes them an hour and a half. The right front fender has to be removed.Facepalm The light in question was the right front turn signal.

Cost $5. Outrageous!

There has to be something wrong with that system. Though I will say that the Toyota Corolla (2005) manual tells you to take the car to the dealer for a license plate light bulb replacement, as one can damage the car doing it untrained. I worked as a mechanic for many years, and repair my own vehicles (for the most part), and have never damaged one replacing a light bulb. Taking the fender off for a bulb replacement is over the top. It only cost you $5 for all that work!? SCORE!
03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
(03-03-2017 04:58 PM)f stop Wrote:  How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

Cost $5. Outrageous!

"It's the labor, not the parts". Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-03-2017, 09:43 PM
(03-03-2017 09:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  There has to be something wrong with that system. Though I will say that the Toyota Corolla (2005) manual tells you to take the car to the dealer for a license plate light bulb replacement, as one can damage the car doing it untrained.

My Corolla had a burnt-out license plate light as well. I was all ready to try replacing it, as I usually do bulb replacements myself, and saw that warning in the manual. Fortuitously (or not, as the case may be) around the same time there was a warranty recall for the infamous airbag problem and I had to take it to the dealer anyway, so I had them do it.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 10:55 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(03-03-2017 09:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Cost $5. Outrageous!

There has to be something wrong with that system. Though I will say that the Toyota Corolla (2005) manual tells you to take the car to the dealer for a license plate light bulb replacement, as one can damage the car doing it untrained. I worked as a mechanic for many years, and repair my own vehicles (for the most part), and have never damaged one replacing a light bulb. Taking the fender off for a bulb replacement is over the top. It only cost you $5 for all that work!? SCORE!

While I was not a mechanic, I did work 5 years at one of the largest Honda dealerships in the US. While this might not be universal, our mechanics were paid a flat rate per job. The idea being that, for price consistency, all jobs are rated for X amount of hours. For example, an alignment job might be rated as an hour of labor; regardless of whether the technician gets it done in 20 minutes or an hour and twenty minutes. It helps make payroll a lot more predictable, and incentivizes the techs to get their work done faster. Of course it also causes a sort of gamification of the system, with techs quickly learning what jobs offer the best margins (more time paid for an easier job). Combine that with typical workplace politicking and gossip, and it can quickly devolve into something far less than ideal.

I don't know why it took an hour and a half. Did you watch them muck around with your car for that whole time? Because at my former dealership, if things were running behind, even a typically 'quick' job could be parked away on the lot for some time before a technician simply was available to handle it. Even a five minute job could take an hour to get to, depending on how fubar things where that day. Between the long wait and the low charge, I'm guessing that is the most likely culprit. Or else they ran into significant complications, but couldn't charge you for them because of the flat rate pricing; meaning that whichever technician serviced your car spent an hour and half and only got paid for 5 minutes of work.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-03-2017, 12:26 AM
(03-03-2017 10:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 09:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  There has to be something wrong with that system. Though I will say that the Toyota Corolla (2005) manual tells you to take the car to the dealer for a license plate light bulb replacement, as one can damage the car doing it untrained. I worked as a mechanic for many years, and repair my own vehicles (for the most part), and have never damaged one replacing a light bulb. Taking the fender off for a bulb replacement is over the top. It only cost you $5 for all that work!? SCORE!

While I was not a mechanic, I did work 5 years at one of the largest Honda dealerships in the US. While this might not be universal, our mechanics were paid a flat rate per job. The idea being that, for price consistency, all jobs are rated for X amount of hours. For example, an alignment job might be rated as an hour of labor; regardless of whether the technician gets it done in 20 minutes or an hour and twenty minutes. It helps make payroll a lot more predictable, and incentivizes the techs to get their work done faster. Of course it also causes a sort of gamification of the system, with techs quickly learning what jobs offer the best margins (more time paid for an easier job). Combine that with typical workplace politicking and gossip, and it can quickly devolve into something far less than ideal.

I don't know why it took an hour and a half. Did you watch them muck around with your car for that whole time? Because at my former dealership, if things were running behind, even a typically 'quick' job could be parked away on the lot for some time before a technician simply was available to handle it. Even a five minute job could take an hour to get to, depending on how fubar things where that day. Between the long wait and the low charge, I'm guessing that is the most likely culprit. Or else they ran into significant complications, but couldn't charge you for them because of the flat rate pricing; meaning that whichever technician serviced your car spent an hour and half and only got paid for 5 minutes of work.

That's pretty much the same where I work. We price a job for what the book calls for. That's how good technicians make good money, if they can get a job done in shorter time than it calls for, they get paid for that job and get on to the next one.

It's also how technicians don't make money. If a job takes longer than it is quoted for, they only get paid that amount unless there are unforeseen circumstances in which case the customer is notified. It's a pretty fair system as far as I can see, a price for a job is agreed upon and then honored.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-03-2017, 12:28 AM
(03-03-2017 09:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Cost $5. Outrageous!

"It's the labor, not the parts". Weeping

Yeah, sometimes the ten dollar gasket that needs replaced requires removing the transmission to get to.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-03-2017, 12:30 AM
(04-03-2017 12:26 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's pretty much the same where I work. We price a job for what the book calls for. That's how good technicians make good money, if they can get a job done in shorter time than it calls for, they get paid for that job and get on to the next one.

It's also how technicians don't make money. If a job takes longer than it is quoted for, they only get paid that amount unless there are unforeseen circumstances in which case the customer is notified. It's a pretty fair system as far as I can see, a price for a job is agreed upon and then honored.

Most of the unfairness stemmed from the perception of favoritism with job allotment. Which service people gave the 'good' jobs to which technicians, and who got left out, which techs seemed to get more of the cushy jobs that let them bank more hours of work in less time. That sort of thing was always festering under the surface, and it bothered some more than others. Sometimes the downside of competition is the competition itself. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post