How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 05:05 AM
RE: How many Honda mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?
(04-03-2017 11:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 10:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  True enough. We're a small dealership, so everything is much more cohesive than it could be in a larger operation, but what you're talking about still happens

The problem with being a service writer is that we take it from both ends, the customer who is pissed off that their car is broke and it will cost them out the ass to fix and are constantly calling to get their vehicle back, and from the technicians who don't give a fuck about the customer and would rather throw a wrench at you to quit pestering them about when they'll be done than just try to understand that I don't really give a rat's ass either, but I'm the face of customer service and need to have an answer.

More often than not the answer from the tech is, "The more you ask, the longer it will take".

Then I get to bullshit the customer and either get praise for it being done quickly, or eat shit because it doesn't. Every day is an adventure.

Yeah, can't say it was ever a positioned I envied.

(04-03-2017 10:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But the porters are the fucking glue of the business, they work their asses off (most of the time), and get little recognition. And I have to say, most of the techs are great guys, and will help you out when you need it, it's the business side of things that gets stupid.

Just about. Walkways covered in ice? Get a porter. Cars need snow brushed off? Get a porter. Need a dozen or more cars washed? Get a porter. Some VIP friend of the manager wants a ride home while their car is being worked on? Get a porter. Office ladies need someone to run a drop off to the bank? Get a porter. If literally anything breaks or goes wrong, and anyone else who could possibly take care of it is too expensive, you go and get a fuckin' porter.

(04-03-2017 10:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And yeah, sales can go fuck themselves.

Hear, hear! Big Grin

So what I'm hearing is that techs are the same everywhere, and customers are the same everywhere, and porters are abused the same way everywhere, and dealerships work basically the same everywhere, and fuck sales... one day I should record one of the hilarious rants from our licencing clerk which usually starts with "why the fuck can they never get the correct fucking (or any at all...fucking) insurance information....".

I am thankful that I work in the accounting department.

Two years ago when I moved from service to accounting my boss used to find it odd that I would giggle sometimes when he was telling me about some problem that he was having...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
05-03-2017, 05:33 AM
(05-03-2017 05:05 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 11:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, can't say it was ever a positioned I envied.

Just about. Walkways covered in ice? Get a porter. Cars need snow brushed off? Get a porter. Need a dozen or more cars washed? Get a porter. Some VIP friend of the manager wants a ride home while their car is being worked on? Get a porter. Office ladies need someone to run a drop off to the bank? Get a porter. If literally anything breaks or goes wrong, and anyone else who could possibly take care of it is too expensive, you go and get a fuckin' porter.

Hear, hear! Big Grin

So what I'm hearing is that techs are the same everywhere, and customers are the same everywhere, and porters are abused the same way everywhere, and dealerships work basically the same everywhere, and fuck sales... one day I should record one of the hilarious rants from our licencing clerk which usually starts with "why the fuck can they never get the correct fucking (or any at all...fucking) insurance information....".

Two years ago when I moved from service to accounting my boss used to find it odd that I would giggle sometimes when he was telling me about some problem that he was having...

From my experience, accounting mostly kept their heads down and kept busy. So long as the paperwork flowed, most everyone kind of ignored them, except for when they needed something. Since I had the most seniority of the porters in rather short order, I was tapped as the 'go-to' off dealership errand boy; including regularly running to banks and credit unions every week for the accounting department. My accounting department were all kind and personable enough, so I never had any issues with them. It's not like they were the ones complicating any one else's work, let alone mine.

Those were the best runs too, because it was just yourself alone in the car, on company dime and company time. Probably also helped that I was the best driver out of all the porters, and didn't drive like a maniac into work everyday; even when I rode my motorcycle, I wasn't a dipshit about it. Towards the end, I think I was actually the last porter that could drive a stick; apparently that's a dying art these days.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Well believe it or not, at my Volvo dealership, labor for light bulbs is replaced at no charge. (Ha ha!) Confused
A tail light bulb, compete with silver base was $9.00 !?
But OMG, they will make up for it if ANYTHING else is needed to be done!Weeping

You have to be odd to be #1.
05-03-2017, 08:42 AM
(05-03-2017 05:33 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 05:05 AM)unsapien Wrote:  So what I'm hearing is that techs are the same everywhere, and customers are the same everywhere, and porters are abused the same way everywhere, and dealerships work basically the same everywhere, and fuck sales... one day I should record one of the hilarious rants from our licencing clerk which usually starts with "why the fuck can they never get the correct fucking (or any at all...fucking) insurance information....".

From my experience, accounting mostly kept their heads down and kept busy. So long as the paperwork flowed, most everyone kind of ignored them, except for when they needed something. Since I had the most seniority of the porters in rather short order, I was tapped as the 'go-to' off dealership errand boy; including regularly running to banks and credit unions every week for the accounting department. My accounting department were all kind and personable enough, so I never had any issues with them. It's not like they were the ones complicating any one else's work, let alone mine.

Those were the best runs too, because it was just yourself alone in the car, on company dime and company time. Probably also helped that I was the best driver out of all the porters, and didn't drive like a maniac into work everyday; even when I rode my motorcycle, I wasn't a dipshit about it. Towards the end, I think I was actually the last porter that could drive a stick; apparently that's a dying art these days.

The accounting department is often seen as a necessary evil that doesn't produce any income for a company. Head down and working is typical from my experience. When do people care about accounting? When there is something wrong with their paycheck or when they need payment for something...right now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Remember that massive Power Steering rack leak EA was told she had? Yeah there wasn't one. Honda dealership tried to fake a $1500 problem that did not exist. Fuckers.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-03-2017, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 12:16 PM by Fireball.)
(05-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Remember that massive Power Steering rack leak EA was told she had? Yeah there wasn't one. Honda dealership tried to fake a $1500 problem that did not exist. Fuckers.

Dodgy It's shit like this that gives the rest of us mechanical types a bad name. I took my Corolla in for the passenger's side air bag recall replacement, and they gave me an inspection sheet that showed that the left front tire was dangerously worn. The thing has ~ 70% of its tread. Fuckers, indeed.

ETA- do you have anything in writing from them, like an estimate for replacing the rack and pinion? In California, we have the Bureau of Automotive Repair. There should be an equivalent agency in Texas. They take a real dim view of this kind of activity. You can complain to them. The dealership can get spanked monetarily for this. They just have to get caught.
05-03-2017, 11:06 AM
(05-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Remember that massive Power Steering rack leak EA was told she had? Yeah there wasn't one. Honda dealership tried to fake a $1500 problem that did not exist. Fuckers.

When my ex went to Korea for a year (Army assignment) he got a Firestone card so that I could get oil changes and tires if needed. After an oil change...a simple oil change...my car was running like crap. I took it back and they quoted all sorts of things that needed to done. I took it to one of the army mechanics on post who found that a vacuum line had been undone. That fixed the problem.

Then a flat tire found me back at Firestone. I told them NOT to open the hood of my car but to just replace or fix the tire. Again, when I left the car ran like shit. I opened the hood and the same vacuum line was undone. Funny how that happens. Angry

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-03-2017, 03:32 PM
(05-03-2017 11:06 AM)Anjele Wrote:  

When my ex went to Korea for a year (Army assignment) he got a Firestone card so that I could get oil changes and tires if needed. After an oil change...a simple oil change...my car was running like crap. I took it back and they quoted all sorts of things that needed to done. I took it to one of the army mechanics on post who found that a vacuum line had been undone. That fixed the problem.

Then a flat tire found me back at Firestone. I told them NOT to open the hood of my car but to just replace or fix the tire. Again, when I left the car ran like shit. I opened the hood and the same vacuum line was undone. Funny how that happens. Angry

Firestone didn't screw me over... I benefited from their fuckery....

I bought a 97 Saturn wagon on Craigslist that was advertised as having a low mileage engine for $500.

Indeed it was low mileage.

The people who had the car got talked into installing a reman engine, despite the fact that the frame was nearly rusted out and the engine subframe was completely rusted through.

To the tune of almost $4000.

They only got 25,000 miles out of it and the last 10,000 miles or so must have been on pure luck.

Funny part - the people kept immaculate records, and I got a the folder to prove the low miles on the engine, should I ever decide to sell the coupe the engine is now in...

So yeah - fuck Firestone.,..........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.