How many "Mysteries" Does the Higgs-Boson "Solve"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 08:31 PM
How many "Mysteries" Does the Higgs-Boson "Solve"?
WARNING: Prepare yourself for wild speculation.

Some mysteries of the universe that might be solved by the Higgs - Boson:

1 Quantum gravity
2 Wave - Particle Duality
3 Electron Shells
4 Dark Energy
5 Dark Matter
6 Heisenberg uncertainty principle
7 Quantum entanglement

What is the Higgs - Boson? In essence, the Higgs-Boson is a tiny particle that permeates space. Its not something we can directly measure or detect. Its presence can only be known when it interacts with other particles which has the side effect of causing “mass”. Current theory says that Higgs-Bosons create a uniform Higgs field throughout the universe.

Think of the pixels on a computer screen. Each pixel on a computer screen is analogous to a Higgs-Boson; however, this computer screen is 3 dimensional and fills the universe.

On your computer screen, when a pixel is "on" it emits a color other than black, when it is off, it is black. A Higgs-Boson, when it is on, it creates mass and when it is off, it is undetectable.

Quantum gravity
Gravity has been a persistent hindrance to unifying classical physics and quantum physics. The primary issue is that everything in classical physics has substantial mass, but some mechanisms in quantum physics are treated as points.

The problem with a point is that it takes up no space - an infinite number of points can occupy the same space and thus create infinite gravity. The mystery then is how to deal with infinite gravity as predicted by current quantum theory.

String theory was developed to deal with this problem. That is, if instead of being treated like a point, these quantum could be “stretched out” and represented as "strings" then this eliminates the problem of infinite gravity in quantum physics.

The Higgs-Boson may give insight into this phenomenon. That is, imagine an electron as being similar to a Higgs - Boson, undetectable, with zero mass until it reacts with a Higgs - Boson. Fortunately, like everything else, electrons “live” in an ocean of Higgs - Bosons.

Assume then that as an electron approaches a Higgs-Boson, the interaction of the two particles begins, continues as the electron passes the Higgs-Boson, and ends some time after the electron passes. If this interaction causes mass - it would take the form of a line beginning when the two particles get close and ending when they travel apart.

The mass would literally look like a string as required by string theory and would solve the issue of quantum gravity, see Fig 1. Additionally, this would account for the "flashing in and out of existence" behavior currently observed in the electron.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
.................ooo|ooo..............ooo|ooo.....
Time ->
. electron in flight, no mass
o electron close to a Higgs-Boson w/mass
| Higgs-Boson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fig1

Wave - particle duality
Assuming then that string theory is true and mass can form in a string that traces the path of interaction between electrons and Higgs-Bosons, there is a big question left open by string theory. String Theory predicts other dimensions. So where are these other dimensions? They should be all around us, but we can't seem to notice them. Actually though - maybe we have seen it and simply didn’t know what we were looking at.

Photons and other particles display a behavior coined as wave-particle duality. That is, a single photon traveling alone acts like a wave. If you can imagine a single wave on the surface of a pool of water and notice how it would behave when it encounter obstacles, light, when it is traveling behaves in the same fashion.

However, to measure or detect the light we must bring the wave to a halt. When we do that, we don’t find evidence of a wave, we find evidence of a single point - like a bullet. When the photon is traveling free it’s a wave, but when we bring it to a halt, the wave collapses into a particle and that is the essence of wave-particle duality.

Moreover, the location of the particle can be determined by using a statistical model to emulate the wave - such that the particle will condense in a location congruent with the wave predicted by the photons path of travel. The mystery then is how and why the photon transforms from particle to wave and back to a particle.

If string theory is true and we should be looking for other dimensions, this seems like a great candidate. Quite simply I propose that the photon can only exist in "our dimension" as a particle. When the photon is “released” and it begins to travel like a wave, it may well be traveling in another dimension. If we imagine each Higgs-Boson as tiny a window into this "other dimension", it is easy to see how this transformation could happen.

Imagine an infinite wall covered in a regular pattern of holes. In this example you can never directly experience the other side of the wall, but you can observe some phenomenon through the holes. These holes are Higgs-Bosons and lets imagine them about the size of a tennis ball.

If you actually place a tennis ball or a photon into one of the holes, it gets sucked to the other side where it is inexplicably flattened like a napkin, spreads out, and takes the properties of a wave. From our point of view, it now "covers" multiple Higgs-Bosons and it can travel freely behind the wall.

In this model, any Higgs-Boson "emitting matter" on our side of the wall, also interferes with the photonic wave on the other side of the wall.

When we suck the photon back to our dimension, we cannot pick the exact Higgs-Boson it will use as a conduit. Rather, it will come back to our dimension based on the location of its strongest energy point relative to the nearest Higgs-Boson.

The general idea is, if something has a specific form in "our dimension", it probably will have a different form in "another dimension". With a different form, we can expect a different behavior. We in fact can "see" that these particles behave as if they have different forms (point and wave) and this "mystery" should be "easily" resolved if they can be shown to move between dimensions.

Additionally, the idea that photons travel in an alternate dimension might well account for the fact that photons have no mass yet still interact with the tangible universe, by catalyzing with a specific electron already in "our dimension."

Electron shells
The preceding concepts have application in electron shells as well. Electrons are said to only exist a fleeting moment at a time in random locations that in reality is a function of a probability wave. The mystery then - what is the ecosystem of an an electron in an atom's electron shells?

This time imagine a pool table with a single red billiard ball. If you hit the ball, the path that it takes as it bounces around the table will be predictable. Imagine then three white balls added to the table, but they are constantly on the move. Now when you hit the red ball, its path will be very chaotic as it interacts with the other balls.

Now imagine the white balls invisible much like the Higgs-Boson. In this situation, the path of the red ball will look nearly random. Now imagine the whites balls are not limited to the surface of the pool table. The white (invisible) balls can pass down through the floor and up through the ceiling in any direction at any angle. The path of the red ball at this point would simply look crazy.

Lets make it worse and say the red ball is also invisible, except when it is close to a white (still invisible) ball. Now for one final thing, let's imagine the pool table not as a flat surface, but bent around to form a globe. It seems to me this example recreates the mechanics of the electron K shell very well.

The essence here is that electrons bounce around in a random shower of Higgs-Bosons and they only have mass when they get close to a higgs-Boson and thus can only be measured or detected in conjunction with a Higgs-Boson. All other times they seem to wink out of existence and may enter alternate dimensions.

But why are electrons limited to “shells”? While I am speculating wildly and we are looking for the additional dimensions predicted by string theory, it could be that additional dimensions develop as a side effect, in a wave like fashion around the nucleus of an atom. Electronic Shells might be like lagrange points formed as a side effect of the interaction of our dimension and a dimension formed by a coalesced nucleus.

Protons and Neutrons in the nucleus of the atom are either fused to a Higgs-Boson and thus creating a lot of constant mass, or they continually slamming in or dancing around one or more Higgs-Boson. These actions alone could generate new dimensions radiating around them that catch electrons or Higgs-Bosons and toss them into a pattern.

In this case, Electrons are not limited to the shells themselves, but tend to strongly prefer the arrangement and simply tend to collect there like coins in the folds of a couch. Lower shells might simply be like a “downhill dimension” in this model which is why they fill up first.

Dark Energy
One nagging problem with the universe is that it is still expanding. Modeling the big bang reveals that it should not still be expanding. In this case the mystery is that the universe is still accelerating long after it should have started to slow down its growth.

The big bang also created the Higgs-Bosons and how does a Higgs-Boson interact with other Higgs-Bosons? In short no one knows, but it is likely that like every other particle there is a static pressure between all Higgs-Bosons. Electrons for example can not crowd into a electron shell, they simply repel each other. It is likely then that this additional growth in the universe can be attributed to Higgs-Bosons trying to push each other away, much like the gases in a balloon and completely apart from the observable energy of the big bang.

Dark Matter
The outside edges of observed galaxies are moving very fast. So fast that it is estimated that they should fling themselves apart. That is, as they spin, their centrifugal force should overcome the estimated gravity for the galaxy. The mystery then is why can’t we see the extra mass that must exists in all galaxies for them to be rotating so fast without overcoming their own gravity.

As I have mentioned, we are awash in these Higgs-Bosons that absolutely fill all of space and should interact with one another. A fundamental assumption is that Higgs-Bosons are evenly and perfectly distributed throughout the universe. But why should that be? Nothing is distributed evenly, how could Higgs-Boson’s be an exception?

For example then, when the Earth’s atmosphere heats up, it creates a high pressure zone - which means the particles want to get further away from one another and this creates the wind that sweeps the planet. An uneven Higgs-Boson distribution has many implications that might solve the mystery of Dark Matter.

For example, if we return to the pool table example, where the red ball is only visible when is it near a white (invisible) ball. As you imagine more white balls, all other things being equal, the more often the red ball will be visible and the more often it will have mass.

The implication then is that as you move from one region of space to another, you and your surroundings might naturally weigh more or weigh less as you travel simply by the relative density of Higgs-Bosons in the region. This would mean that we might not be missing extra matter when we guess at the mass of a galaxy, we might just be applying the wrong - homogeneous formula assuming all matter has the same weight in any location.

As previously mentioned, one implication of a universe filled with Higgs-Bosons that is still expanding is that the universe is experiencing an internal pressure from the Higgs-Boson’s pushing each other away, but we can currently only guess at this mechanism. It could be that something in the cosmic environment effects this pressure between higgs bosons.

For example, it could be that when a Higgs-Boson interacts with other particles to produce mass, it lowers the static pressure between Higgs-Bosons. Thus, areas of the universe with more mass would naturally collect more Higgs-Bosons and the centers of galaxies could be much more dense than our experience in our region of space - especially in the case of super-massive black holes.

Heisenberg uncertainty principle
Honestly, I think the supposition that Higgs-Bosons can catalyze a particle moving from one dimension to another solves most of the questions regarding the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If true, the observer issue is nonsensical and can be dismissed.

Electrons "popping" in and out of existence can be explained as either passing close to a Higgs-Boson or being constantly catalyzed from our dimension to another and back. In the case of a freely moving electron, you can't know the location because its mass is effectively random over time and to measure the mass you have to fix the location with a Higgs-Boson.

An interesting application of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is the decaying mass of block of radioactive material. The "mass" will decay at a known rate, only a single particle will be emitted, but how do all of the atoms in the mass agree - which atom will emit a particle at that exact time?

An additional dimension nicely addresses this issue. That is to say, before a radioactive emission, a "nebulous" charge could be "leaking" into this other dimension and pooling there, held in place by its connection through Higgs-Boson's to the mass in our dimension. Finally then, its not that a single particle decays as we currently perceive it. Rather, the Higgs-Boson closest to the highest energy peak of the charge in the adjacent dimension acts as a conductor for the entire charge and the charge dissipates through a single Higgs-Boson into a particle in our dimension.

Quantum entanglement
OK - I think this one needs work, but it seems conceptually consistent. That is to say, if we suppose some additional dimension exists and one or more stand as waves around the nucleus of an atom these particular dimensions might be very small and in fact seem temporary (forming when an atom forms and collapsing as it decays). If these dimensions may only have "room" for 2 electrons at a time and sharing this dimension with another electron could be the thing that forces them to align their spins to be diametrically opposed.

It could be that when all electrons are "born", their spin is chaotic or random until it is forced to share an atomic orbital or shell with another electron. This could bump them or force them into a spin that is fixed until it is forced to share another shell with some other electron.

Seems like this needs some work though.

And of course, all of this is probably crazy BS, but its nice to have it all written down!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RR Edwards's post
28-08-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: How many "Mysteries" Does the Higgs-Boson "Solve"?
I truly wish I was smart enough to understand the actual physics of this...I get it in the abstract, but fail to fully appreciate just how amazing this is, even though I know it's amazing....it's literally torturous...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2012, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 09:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
8. None of the above.

The Higgs was necessary, to complete the model, and answers nothing important about anything, except confirming what they already knew.

More wild speculation :
The entire business of Gravity/Quantum Gravity is far more complex than we now understand, or imagine. When we begin to understand that, many things about 2-7, will become clear.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Is this your write up RR Edwards, or cited from somewhere? Well done!
28-08-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.higgs-boson.org

Seems to list the problems the discovery solves.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
28-08-2012, 09:29 PM
(28-08-2012 08:37 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  I truly wish I was smart enough to understand the actual physics of this...I get it in the abstract, but fail to fully appreciate just how amazing this is, even though I know it's amazing....it's literally torturous...

Oh, who knows, I may not understand it either. Like I said, just something that was bugging me and I wanted to argue with someone about it.

(28-08-2012 09:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  http://www.higgs-boson.org

Oh, I have to have a look at that. They seem to propose exactly the opposite as what I am postulating and they got fancy math stuff.

(28-08-2012 08:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  8. None of the above.

The Higgs was necessary, to complete the model, and answers nothing important about anything, except confirming what they already knew.

More wild speculation :
The entire business of Gravity/Quantum Gravity is far more complex than we now understand, or imagine. When we begin to understand that, many things about 2-7, will become clear.

Oh, but if the link that fstratzero posted shows anything, it shows

9 - you are wrong.

Also, I think I just had a good whack at understanding Quantum Gravity and surprise it did illuminate 2-7 very quickly.

So see - no need to be a curmudgeon, it now looks like you agree with me, except for the place where you are simply dead wrong.

LMAO - sorry, but you didn't even read what I wrote so you deserve some derision in my book.

(28-08-2012 08:51 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Is this your write up RR Edwards, or cited from somewhere? Well done!

Oh thanks, just something that has been bugging me for a few weeks and I needed to write it down.
28-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Well . . . I am going to say no. Did you read the "paper" you linked to? This guy is kind of crazy. He says gravity is not an "attractive force", its a "pushing force". Sure, I am willing to consider the possibility but he seems to be much on fluff and light on substance.
28-08-2012, 11:57 PM
(28-08-2012 09:29 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  Oh, but if the link that fstratzero posted shows anything, it shows
9 - you are wrong.
Also, I think I just had a good whack at understanding Quantum Gravity and surprise it did illuminate 2-7 very quickly.

So see - no need to be a curmudgeon, it now looks like you agree with me, except for the place where you are simply dead wrong.

LMAO - sorry, but you didn't even read what I wrote so you deserve some derision in my book.

10. You are not even in the right building, much less even wrong. Smile

Laugh all you want, sir. I did read every word, and as you said it's all speculation, and a lot of it is seriously wrong. Sorry, but this is my field. I do applaud your tenacity in writing all that, but as for the linked page, I think I'll wait for a bit more than 1 page from "Jacky Jerome", whoever the hell that is.

It appears to me that you misunderstand the nature of the Higgs FIELD, and exactly what the boson is, and what it isn't, and what the field is. I could take every line you wrote and object to every sentence. Why bother ?

If what you are saying is all that obvious, why are Physicists all over the world not jumping up and down saying the same thing ?

The fact is the one of the most pressing next problems, which is NOT solved is super-symmetry, (SUSY), which you have not even addressed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2012, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 01:02 AM by fstratzero.)
(28-08-2012 11:22 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  

Well . . . I am going to say no. Did you read the "paper" you linked to? This guy is kind of crazy. He says gravity is not an "attractive force", its a "pushing force". Sure, I am willing to consider the possibility but he seems to be much on fluff and light on substance.

My mistake I did read it but didn't realize what it was. A new 4D model using the higgs field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jacky_JEROME

Although I did the way they look at gravity.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-08-2012, 07:35 AM
(28-08-2012 11:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 09:29 PM)RR Edwards Wrote:  Oh, but if the link that fstratzero posted shows anything, it shows
9 - you are wrong.

10. You are not even in the right building, much less even wrong. Smile

Laugh all you want, sir. I did read every word, and as you said it's all speculation, and a lot of it is seriously wrong. Sorry, but this is my field. I do applaud your tenacity in writing all that, but as for the linked page, I think I'll wait for a bit more than 1 page from "Jacky Jerome", whoever the hell that is.

It appears to me that you misunderstand the nature of the Higgs FIELD, and exactly what the boson is, and what it isn't, and what the field is. I could take every line you wrote and object to every sentence. Why bother ?

If what you are saying is all that obvious, why are Physicists all over the world not jumping up and down saying the same thing ?

The fact is the one of the most pressing next problems, which is NOT solved is super-symmetry, (SUSY), which you have not even addressed.

Oh, cool, and if you read it, then I apologize. Please feel free to voice your objections, that is exactly what I am looking for. If you don't have the tenacity to object to every sentence, I would be just as happy to hear the top 1 or 10 or 100 objections.

Also did I give the impression I was trying to solve the worlds biggest problems? That was not my intent. As I mentioned, I simply had some thoughts and I wanted to write them down and figure out where they are wrong (I did call them crazy BS).

Obviously I am not in this field and I am nothing more than an enthusiast, however, I do know there are at least two equally correct camps - the M Theory camp and the anti-M Theory camp. So even from my distance I can tell it is fair to say "they haven't figured it all out".