Poll: How many TTA members were never religious?
Non religious.
Converted.
[Show Results]

How many TTA members were never religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2017, 06:27 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-08-2017, 06:35 AM
RE: How many TTA members were never religious?
Though made to go through the motions of being a Catholic, I really didn't ever buy into any of it. I likened the Bible stories I was told to the Aesop's fables and Grimm's fairy tales that my mother read to me.

Breaking away completely was easy for me when I realized that I was told what I 'believed' but I didn't really believe any of it. I thought you had to believe in the Christian god or some god. I did some reading on other faith practices trying to find something that fit. None of them did and I came to the conclusion that I didn't have to believe in any of them.

So, for the first twenty years of my life I followed the Catholic script to a certain degree and then just drifted away from it all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
18-08-2017, 06:42 AM
(18-08-2017 06:27 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How many TTA members were never religious?

I spent decades of my adult life trying to rationalize theistic ideas (even though I stopped attending any house of worship when I was still a teenager).

Finally I gave up altogether.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-08-2017, 06:43 AM
I was never a practicing Christian. I recall one time when I was about 8 years old, someone came to the front door, said a few things, then left (probably someone leaving a flyer for a local church, but I don't remember). As a result, I walked back inside and asked my mom what religion we were. She said Christian, but for all intents and purposes, we didn't practice any type of religious lifestyle. Didn't go to church, didn't pray at dinner table, didn't pray before bedtime or anything like that. To this day, my mother doesn't really have an answer when I ask her if she believes in god, but I think deep down she really doesn't. It's just a hard thing to admit when everyone around you is entrenched so deeply.

I did go to church a few times on my own when I joined the Marine Corps, and I went to church a few times with my girlfriend b/c that's what was expected. But it always sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. Wah, wah, wah, wah. Bunch of bologna.

I also went a few times with my wife. We went to one church where they were speaking in tongues, whooping and hollering and just generally making fools of themselves. I couldn't sit through that. We left early!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
18-08-2017, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2017 07:12 AM by dancefortwo.)
Me.

When I was a kid I was extremely imaginative. I lived in a would of wild creativity which my parents encouraged. I didn't know much at all about religion because we lived in remote areas but when I was finally was exposed to some religious dogma around the age of 10 I knew religion was the result of human imagination. I recognized all the symptoms. There was no question in my mind that religion was a fairytale.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-08-2017, 06:48 AM
When I was a Catholic-I wasn't a hardcore believer, even though I did believe in God. Then I switched to Christianity due to some friends being heavily involved in the church and when I became a Christian, I was pretty religious. Looking back now, I wish I never learned about God or Jesus. I wish I grew up in a nonreligious household that left woo at the door. Unfortunately, I was introduced to woo at a young age and it infiltrated into my adulthood. So glad to be free of that.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Not since I was a child. If anything I have been mildly roman catholic. Never reflecting on what that means and certainly not feeling guilty over sins. I had the last confession at age 7, I think.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
18-08-2017, 06:56 AM
I was raised Lutheran, remained so for about 30 years, and stopped believing over six years ago.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-08-2017, 06:56 AM
[Image: hRJKHM.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 8 users Like Banjo's post
18-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Add one to the list.

My parents had some experience with evil people of faith and decided to not indoctrinate me.
Closest thing to it was Gran telling me old stories about the Æsir. Loved those, probably believed some of it for a while, but it didn't come with any religious practices so I'm guessing that doesn't count.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath