Poll: How many TTA members were never religious?
Non religious.
Converted.
[Show Results]

How many TTA members were never religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2017, 10:10 AM
RE: How many TTA members were never religious?
(18-08-2017 06:51 AM)abaris Wrote:  Not since I was a child. If anything I have been mildly roman catholic. Never reflecting on what that means and certainly not feeling guilty over sins. I had the last confession at age 7, I think.

I envy people who gave up on religion early.

Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Ehhhh, I'm complicated. I used to wear a cross (before I'd even heard of crucifixion) and my mother tried to get us to pray at night, but I don't think I was ever... REALLY religious. I still think I cried when I realized there was no God. Same for Santa, though.

You're not gonna believe this. When I realized the truth about Santa the only one there to comfort me was my Grandma, and she took the opportunity to assure me that Jesus was real.

She's Jewish now. Laugh out load

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
18-08-2017, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2017 10:33 AM by BackSlider.)
I've hated church since age 3. Protestant Church of Christ acapella services started with a single note on this harmonica type thingy made me all the more ill when the congragration was not "feelin' duh luv" or spirit.

Vacation bible school infuriated me as a preteen. Stealing my summer vacation week for lousy Kool aide and bad cookies.
Life wasted and you never recoup.

Never accepted the chit "whole hearted" , but did give it a sincere try a about 15 yrs ago to keep a marriage intact. Took 6 years for the marriage to win. Thank...G...uh.... whomever.
Team of we?

You have to be odd to be #1.
18-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Not sure what to check - I deconverted at 10, before that I went to church and other religious stuff. But - I barely remember what all that was like - all my adult life I was atheist. Deconverting as child is different - it's not as drummed into your head yet. Plus, religion was never a topic at home. So, I deconverted so easily that it's pretty much like I never believed.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Raised that way. The bullshit never resonatedSmile
18-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Over the years I tried to become religious but it just wouldn't take. Any time I found myself in the middle of some religious proceedings it was more or less as an observer, with no emotional hooks or actual religious faith, regardless of what was being preached.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
18-08-2017, 11:22 AM
(18-08-2017 06:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Though made to go through the motions of being a Catholic, I really didn't ever buy into any of it. I likened the Bible stories I was told to the Aesop's fables and Grimm's fairy tales that my mother read to me.

Breaking away completely was easy for me when I realized that I was told what I 'believed' but I didn't really believe any of it. I thought you had to believe in the Christian god or some god. I did some reading on other faith practices trying to find something that fit. None of them did and I came to the conclusion that I didn't have to believe in any of them.

So, for the first twenty years of my life I followed the Catholic script to a certain degree and then just drifted away from it all.

That sounds familiar if you add greek and roman mythology and dropping it somewhat earlier. I don't remember ever believing and was eventually told that I had to get through confirmation and after that it would be my choice. The day of confirmation was the last day I ever stepped inside a church except for weddings/etc.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-08-2017, 11:36 AM
(18-08-2017 11:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-08-2017 06:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Though made to go through the motions of being a Catholic, I really didn't ever buy into any of it. I likened the Bible stories I was told to the Aesop's fables and Grimm's fairy tales that my mother read to me.

Breaking away completely was easy for me when I realized that I was told what I 'believed' but I didn't really believe any of it. I thought you had to believe in the Christian god or some god. I did some reading on other faith practices trying to find something that fit. None of them did and I came to the conclusion that I didn't have to believe in any of them.

So, for the first twenty years of my life I followed the Catholic script to a certain degree and then just drifted away from it all.

That sounds familiar if you add greek and roman mythology and dropping it somewhat earlier. I don't remember ever believing and was eventually told that I had to get through confirmation and after that it would be my choice. The day of confirmation was the last day I ever stepped inside a church except for weddings/etc.

I was trapped in Catholic schools from 6th grade through high school...so I had to play along to graduate. All that effort on the part of The Church and it still didn't take.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-08-2017, 03:55 PM
I was raised by a mom who doesn't seem to care much about religion and a dad who is a very outspoken atheist. As a little kid, I was quite proud to brag about never having to go to church, and to tell other kids that I don't believe in God. They always said, "My mom said you'll go to Hell!" or whatever, and tried to convince me to come to their church. I was actually dragged to church by my grandparents once. I felt really uncomfortable there and ended up crying hysterically, and no one made me go to church after that embarrassing scene. ^.^

Never was religious; I still find religion definitely strange and unbelievable. It was only about a year ago that I started to give any thought to religion and become more certain that there is no God.
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
18-08-2017, 04:50 PM
If you discount weddings and funerals, I've been to church twice in my life. Once was to see a friend sing in the choir and the other time was an Episcopalian midnight Christmas mass. It was boring as hell each time.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post