Poll: How many TTA members were never religious?
Non religious.
Converted.
[Show Results]

How many TTA members were never religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 10:49 AM
RE: How many TTA members were never religious?
Here. My grandparents tried and failed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2017, 07:08 PM
How is this poll holding at only SEVEN converted? C'mon, American southerners, it's nothing to be ashamed of, we were born and bred into this stuff.

23-08-2017, 07:44 PM
(18-08-2017 06:27 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How many TTA members were never religious?

Depends what "religious" means.
For example I don't go to church and I haven't been baptised, and I cross the street to avoid some so-called "christians", so in that respect I'm not "religious".
However I do like Jesus for the way he broke the snooty priests stranglehold on the people once and for all..Smile
23-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I was religious. Rather.
And very glad of it. If I hadn't been, I wouldn't be me, and where I am right now. The revelation was that the brain chemicals belief produces (oxytocin, beta-endorphins) can just as easily be produced naturally.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-08-2017, 08:30 PM
(23-08-2017 08:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was religious. Rather.
And very glad of it. If I hadn't been, I wouldn't be me, and where I am right now.

I have mixed feelings about it...I agree the overall experience makes me who I am, but it's weird when so many people can say, "man, I knew that stuff was bullshit when I first heard it." And I'm "Uh, well, I kinda didn't know it was bullshit, for a long time...oh well..."

23-08-2017, 09:23 PM
(23-08-2017 08:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
The revelation was that the brain chemicals belief produces (oxytocin, beta-endorphins) can just as easily be produced naturally.

Right. Which means that prior to the revelation they were produced supernaturally?

Wink

23-08-2017, 10:12 PM
(23-08-2017 09:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 08:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
The revelation was that the brain chemicals belief produces (oxytocin, beta-endorphins) can just as easily be produced naturally.

Right. Which means that prior to the revelation they were produced supernaturally?

Wink

You got it. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-08-2017, 06:40 AM
I could never understand how people could convince themselves that any religion could be true. It all seemed to be on a par with thinking the moon was made of green cheese.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 2 users Like Norm Deplume's post
26-08-2017, 06:56 AM
(26-08-2017 06:40 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  I could never understand how people could convince themselves that any religion could be true. It all seemed to be on a par with thinking the moon was made of green cheese.

The Y-donor tried to indoctrinate me about the rightness of the white race. He gave up when I asked questions he couldn't answer. I seem to be one of the exceptions to childhood indoctrination attempts, the vast majority appear to have taken.

One thing to keep in mind about religions, like politics they're subject to change because the person doesn't really believe in them. Most people say they believe in a god or gods because their local circle all say they do. It's easier going blindly with the herd than thinking for oneself. Lying about belief is far more common than actually believing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-08-2017, 07:52 AM
I spent my early youth in a Catholic school where the nuns tried to indoctrinate me. It simply never took. I have never been religious. Why some of us are natural born skeptics remains a big mystery to science. I never believed in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I am still sad about the Easter Bunny bit.

Your fifteen minutes as the Buddha are up.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post