Poll: Have you always been an atheist?
Yes, my whole life
No, but I am now
I'm a theist
[Show Results]

How many atheist lifers versus deconverts do we have?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: How many atheist lifers versus deconverts do we have?
Didn't know who the hell Jesus was supposed to be until I was about 10 and didn't really have much of a god concept.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Was religious until my early 20’s. Now atheist, and I think that question is closed. God as I was raised to understand does not exist.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
14-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I started out Catholic which lasted until about age 20 when I finally realized that was BS and became an atheist. I did get distracted with some new age woo for a short time a few years later but that didn't last long.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
14-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Preacher's kid. Atheist since about age 20.
14-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Long story short, I was born and raised in a non-denominational/Baptist-leaning Christian home. We moved a lot as my dad was in the military, and each time what I was told to believe by adults I thought I could trust changed.

This was weird and confusing as a child, so I eventually decided to teach myself and became quite a skeptic.

I am now an atheist, since age 16, the only I know of in my family.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
14-11-2017, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 04:44 PM by Anjele.)
My story is much like that of Free and Impulse. I was marched through the steps of being Catholic by a non-Catholic mother and a less than interested father. Once dad discovered Sunday morning golf it was pretty much over for him. But then he also had a profession that didn't really allow for regular Sunday morning mass attendance....and mom sure wasn't going to be bothered.

I just thought it was all stories and ceremony. I felt no attachment.

I thought there must be something so there were some periods of reading about different types of woo in a search to find a belief that I could believe but by my early to mid 20s I was over it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-11-2017, 04:36 PM
This is hard to figure. I have a great-great-great grandfather and a great-great grandfather buried on church grounds because they were ministers. My mother insisted I go to the Lutheran church down the street for Sunday school and later service. She rarely went herself. I was supposed to become Christian but my family mostly ignored it.

Somewhere around 13 I realized that I was missing 49er away games because I was at church. That was the final straw. I would no longer go to church, not that I found any joy in it before.

I would suggest that I have been an atheist my whole life. I do have some history with church. I suspect most here do. I mean, please, there are family members that you will endure a church funeral service for.
14-11-2017, 04:48 PM
(14-11-2017 04:05 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I was raised Catholic and then got into witchcraft (mostly love spells in high school). Like I've mentioned on here before, my godmother is a witch so got interested in it in some ways from that. Then in college, I had several Christian friends and so I went down that road. Then agnostic. Then atheist.

Similar to me. Raised default church of England (protestant). But family tales always consisted of spiritualism, reincarnation. Got into new age stuff such as tarot when I left for university. Would have loved to be part of a witches' coven (still appeals to my eco side) but never knew anyone else into it. Then started questioning everything and became an atheist. Can't ever forget the answers that you find.
14-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Roman Catholicism was literally beaten into me when I was a child. I had to go through 12½ years' indoctrination, not to mention physical and mental abuse in Catholic schools. It took about 10 years of comparative religious study and lots of deep introspection for me to finally decide I was an atheist. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
14-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Technically I believed in God when I was too young to realize it wasn't the only option. But I'd say I was an atheist before I knew what the word meant, so lifer would be closer than deconverted.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post