How many churches are in your town/city?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 12:34 PM
RE: How many churches are in your town/city?
Hmm, well - if I look at Pablo's link, then our metropolitan area shows 433 congregations and it shows the population of our metropolitan area as 252,000. The numbers I gave earlier are just what I looked at in the yellow pages and only for the specific city we live in, not the surrounding towns.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2016, 12:41 PM
I live in a village with ca. 25k people and 5 Churches.
City with highest church density in Germany is W├╝rzburg, with 120k people and 46 catholic, 14 protestant and 1 orthodox church

The ratio of 3/1 cathholic/protestant churches already suggests, its in BAVARIA Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
14-11-2016, 06:08 PM
I do not believe that question is relevant. I believe the relevant question is. "How many churches in my town have decent architecture that is pleasing to the eye and isn't just a square box with a triangle roof?"

in which I have to say, not nearly enough, these are places for which people to revere their god and such. They could at least put some effort into it, for something so grand a purpose, at least you would think right? But no, most of the time they're just squares and triangles, and you'll be lucky if they're actually made out of stone. And don't even get me started on the 'modern architecture'.
14-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Countless churches but the cool thing is that many are being repurposed.
There is a huge church here that has been repurposed into a restaurant/club. Anotherone is some kind of community center (not religiously, it has courses and little tiny shop things).
There is one church that gives me lots of happiness. It has been empty and - I shit you not - up for rent for at least the past 5 years. It has a huge sign on it that states "For rent".
So yea, I live in Ireland, that is religious as fuck at least on paper but the churches become emptier and emptier.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
15-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Theres quite alot
15-11-2016, 04:01 PM
The city of Odessa, at 5,400 population according to the sign, has 5 I know of within the "city" limits, and one across the freeway atop a hill overlooking the town. So 6 in town, but there's probably more hiding out in the hinterlands that I haven't seen before, but still close enough to town to draw on it's pop. for worshippers.

15-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Ada, OK; Population 16,000; churches: 59. According to churcherfinder.com.
15-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Churchfinder.com says 52 churches for my southeast Missouri town of 16,000.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-11-2016, 07:07 PM
(15-11-2016 06:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Churchfinder.com says 52 churches for my southeast Missouri town of 16,000.

Yabut, it only finds Christian churches. Unitarians get ignored as do all other religions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2016, 07:39 PM
(15-11-2016 07:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 06:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Churchfinder.com says 52 churches for my southeast Missouri town of 16,000.

Yabut, it only finds Christian churches. Unitarians get ignored as do all other religions.

We have no non-Christian churches. The nearest mosque is in St. Louis, two hours north of here (I checked). I find that fact curious because half my apartment complex residents are Muslims.

The nearest Unitarian church, as well. There is, however, a synagogue in the next "major" town (~39,000 people), about 30 miles north of here.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson