Poll: How many continents do you think there are?
8 or more
4 or less
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many continents are there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
How many continents are there?
This is something that has bothered me since I was a kid in elementary school. I have always hated the model taught in America. Although the number I come to is the same as some other countries teach, my reasons are different. How many were you taught as there was as a kid? How many do you think there are now? Why do you think that.

I was taught that there are seven continents, N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and Antarctica.

Now, I believe there are five. N. America, S. America, Africa, Eurasia, & Oceania .
The reason I separate the America's is because the are barely connected by land above sea-level, same reason for separating Africa and Eurasia, Oceania is obviously separated, and I do not include Antarctica as a continent because is too ephemeral and not made of much substance, almost exclusively frozen water. I would consider Greenland a continent before I would Antarctica.

Of course all of this divisions are man-made constructs in an attempt to categorize and label the world around us, so there is plenty of room for argument. I could easily argue dozens of continents, or no continents. Just want to know you you perceive the world.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
RE: How many continents are there?

North America
South America
Africa
Australia
Asia
Europe
Antarctica

[Image: vjp09.gif]
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I went with 6.

South America: 2 bonus armies
Australia: 2 bonus armies
Africa: 3 bonus armies
Europe: 5 bonus armies
North America: 5 bonus armies
Asia: 7 bonus armies, but you can never hold it.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AUSTRALASIA!

Get it right.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
God dammit; I'm the only "1" who picked the....well...Psh, well fine then. Angry

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 05:11 PM by Janus.)
A landmass is only considered a continent if it's large enough to contain large regions with a land climate (as opposed to a sea climate or a transitional climate). So afaic that would apply to Australia, but not to Oceania (however you define that...) because there's pretty obviously precious little land climate on the Pacific islands...
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM
When I was a kid I was taught 5 continents: Amerika, Africa, Australia, Europe, Asia
If I think about how it was taught it makes no sense, because it was about being one landmass alone in the ocean.
I remember asking the teacher about Europe and Asia as all that devides both are the huge mountains but the landmass is the same. The teacher said that it is the mountains that count here. Based on what they tought just two sentences before that, it made no sense back then, it does not nowadays.

So in that case I would still go for 5 nowadays but like this: America, Africa, Australia, Eurasia, Antarctica

Based on the landmass thing, I would never even get the idea of separating North and South America. Sorry. It doesn't matter if it is just a small piece of land that connects it. Is it connected, yes or no...

Actually in that case I have to go for 4 continents Big Grin As I know there is a small landbridge between Asia and Afrika. So lets make it America, Australia, Antarctica, and Eurasiafrica Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Re: How many continents are there?
We have a canal through it now but discounting that their still connected.

Funny as a kid I've been taught of 7 continents.

North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Antarctica, Australia, and Europe.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Antartica is not just frozen water. It has all the topography of the other continents only it is buried under miles of ice.
11-10-2012, 06:09 PM
(11-10-2012 05:40 PM)NoMore Wrote:  Antartica is not just frozen water. It has all the topography of the other continents only it is buried under miles of ice.

And when the ice melts it will no reveal land, the land will ibe under water. If we are going to count underwater land masses as continents I need to change my vote to 4 or less.