Poll: How many continents do you think there are?
8 or more
4 or less
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many continents are there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 06:09 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: How many continents are there?
According to what I've read I'd have to concede to their being six due to plate tectonics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

[Image: 800px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png]

[Image: plates.gif]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
(12-10-2012 06:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 05:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  We need to have a TTA Risk Tournament.

Didn't we try that? And didn't it fail miserably?

Then again, I didn't even recognize the game. I have the board game, and it wasn't nearly as complex as the one we tried to play here.

Yeah that was way too complex. I wanna go old school Risk with wooden pieces!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-10-2012, 06:38 PM
(12-10-2012 06:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  According to what I've read I'd have to concede to their being six due to plate tectonics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

[Image: 800px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png]

[Image: plates.gif]

I asked Siri just now and she informed me there are 7. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
North America and South America should be 1.
Europe and Asia should be 1
Africa is 1
Antarctica is 1
Australia is one
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:When Antarctica melts will the land under the ice be exposed or underwater?

It's like talking to a 2year old, you're so uneducated.

Quote:Earmuffs does too but I like to argue with him.

It's not arguing. It's me spilling the facts and you scratching your head like a fucking chimpanzee.

me: "The circle goes in the circle hole"
you: "no the square goes in the circle hole"
me: *facepalm*

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't be a douche earmuffs.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environ...ion473.htm
13-10-2012, 01:21 AM
(12-10-2012 10:34 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Don't be a douche earmuffs.

61meters you say. Consider

Does that take into consideration the land that is then put under water which would be like someone getting into a tub.
Like look at it this way.
There is a bath tub that is 50% full and 100cm's tall. I'm magically floating above the water at the 60% full level (60cm's). I take up 25% of the total volume (25cm).
Now say the tap is turned on (ice caps melt) and fill the bath up 50%.
If I wasn't here then the total volume would be 100% and the total height of the water would be 100cm's.
But because I'm there (representing land) if the tap is turned on we know that 50% is going to be put in. So when it is rather then the water being at 100cm's, because I (land) adds 25% mass, the level of which the water will rise to be is actually 125cm's.

See what I'm saying.

And even at 61m's, that is still a lot of land. Where I'm currently am right now, if water was to rise 61m's, I'd be underwater.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
13-10-2012, 08:02 AM
(13-10-2012 01:21 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 10:34 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Don't be a douche earmuffs.

61meters you say. Consider

Does that take into consideration the land that is then put under water which would be like someone getting into a tub.
Like look at it this way.
There is a bath tub that is 50% full and 100cm's tall. I'm magically floating above the water at the 60% full level (60cm's). I take up 25% of the total volume (25cm).
Now say the tap is turned on (ice caps melt) and fill the bath up 50%.
If I wasn't here then the total volume would be 100% and the total height of the water would be 100cm's.
But because I'm there (representing land) if the tap is turned on we know that 50% is going to be put in. So when it is rather then the water being at 100cm's, because I (land) adds 25% mass, the level of which the water will rise to be is actually 125cm's.

See what I'm saying.

And even at 61m's, that is still a lot of land. Where I'm currently am right now, if water was to rise 61m's, I'd be underwater.

Also to look at it another way there is a lot of land there above see level, the fact its under ice is not an issue as to weather it is considered land or not. When it snows does land stop being land, are high mountain glaciers under water no, is the summit of Everest under water, no. Also the idea of if it melts it will be below sea level is moot, because it has'nt.

Hows about how many wonders of the ancient world are there, 7 right, or is it 1 now because only the Pyramids survive. No its 7.

The 7 continents are geo poltical distinctions far more so than concrete scientific definitions.

But if we're all gonna over think this for the fun of it, then there is one continent Pangea, its just broken now. In much the same way as shattering a bottle does not make multiple bottles, one continent breaking up does not make multiple continents.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I have my own vague definition of continent for fantasy world creating purposes. Basically, a continent is a large, "contiguous" land mass. For the Americas, I would consider Panama a break because it is so thin relative to the whole. Same goes for Suez. So even though strictly they are contiguous, I create an imaginary break line.

When looking at the world from an atlas, there are seven distinct land masses; North America, South America, Africa, Eurasia, Australia, Antarctica, and Greenland.

Our planet has four supermasses, plus three masses that are bigger than the next largest island by multiples (after Greenland, every island is only larger than the next largest by less than 100%).

So it works for me.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
13-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Greenland, geologically speaking, is a part of the Canadian shield, part of the crust of ancient, eroded mountains glommed onto the cratons at the core of North America. It's about as solid a part of North America as you can get, as far as the rocks that make it up go. If sealevels dropped quite a bit you'd probably get a landbridge to the mainland.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.