Poll: How many continents do you think there are?
8 or more
4 or less
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many continents are there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: How many continents are there?
(11-10-2012 05:08 PM)Janus Wrote:  A landmass is only considered a continent if it's large enough to contain large regions with a land climate (as opposed to a sea climate or a transitional climate). So afaic that would apply to Australia, but not to Oceania (however you define that...) because there's pretty obviously precious little land climate on the Pacific islands...

earmuffs Wrote:AUSTRALASIA!

Get it right.

Facepalm

O·ce·an·i·a
[oh-shee-an-ee-uh, -ah-nee-uh] Show IPA
noun
the islands of the central and S Pacific, including Micronesia, Melanesia, Polynesia, and traditionally Australasia. 23,400,000; about 3,450,000 sq. mi. (8,935,500 sq. km).

[Image: 200px-Oceania_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
(11-10-2012 06:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:40 PM)NoMore Wrote:  Antartica is not just frozen water. It has all the topography of the other continents only it is buried under miles of ice.

And when the ice melts it will no reveal land, the land will ibe under water. If we are going to count underwater land masses as continents I need to change my vote to 4 or less.

lolwut?

There is plenty of land that actually sticks out of Antarctica. Like heaps.
How else do you think all the bird life down there survives? No birds will lay eggs directly on to ice, so all the rock that is bare is essential to life down there.
With the exception of the emperor penguin of course who lays the egg onto the males feet (not the ice).

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Depends what time period you're talking about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-10-2012, 07:25 PM
(11-10-2012 06:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Depends what time period you're talking about.

Angry How about the 2012-2012 era? If I asked you "Who is the president of America?" would your response be "When? The Presidents of the United States of America."?

11-10-2012, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 07:34 PM by Dark Light.)
(11-10-2012 06:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 06:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  And when the ice melts it will no reveal land, the land will ibe under water. If we are going to count underwater land masses as continents I need to change my vote to 4 or less.

lolwut?

How else do you think all the bird life down there survives? No birds will lay eggs directly on to ice, so all the rock that is bare is essential to life down there.
With the exception of the emperor penguin of course who lays the egg onto the males feet (not the ice).

Heaps? Dude...98% is frozen water. The remaining land is comparable to the size of what?

The green is land.....
[Image: Antarctica.svg]

11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
(11-10-2012 07:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 06:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  lolwut?

Heaps? Dude...98% is frozen water. The remaining land is comparable to the size of what?

The green is land.....

lol!
Check your source brah.
I believe you took that from wiki. It says 5% is rock. But what it is referring too is coast line, 5% of the coast line is rock.

This is the map you should be looking at:
[Image: 600px-AntarcticBedrock.jpg]

All the green is above sea level.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I was taught seven, but the other day on the news I heard someone say there are five...I think it was the news. But I did wonder for a second if we lost a couple and it hadn't made the headlines.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
(11-10-2012 08:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 07:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Heaps? Dude...98% is frozen water. The remaining land is comparable to the size of what?

The green is land.....

lol!
Check your source brah.
I believe you took that from wiki. It says 5% is rock. But what it is referring too is coast line, 5% of the coast line is rock.

This is the map you should be looking at:
[Image: 600px-AntarcticBedrock.jpg]

All the green is above sea level.

Huh? You criticized my source, and the used the same source? Eh, whatever....so your map shows the land under the ice, and the green is what it above sea level but it is still below ice. It isn't exposed land.

11-10-2012, 10:49 PM
How embarrassing, I forgot Africa. What a nimrod. Oh well, at least I know that Antarctica is a continent. It is the law; since they let Iceland be a country, they had to let Antarctica be a continent. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-10-2012, 11:04 PM
You are forgetting our heavy-drinking friend ddrew...

In-continent!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post