How many different gods/versions of god are there/have there been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2011, 01:45 PM
How many different gods/versions of god are there/have there been?
I wonder if anyone has ever made a calculated estimate on how many different gods or versions of the same god have been worshipped by mankind (perhaps not counting the probability that every single person sees their god differently). An internet search only provides vagueness - does anyone know of a serious study providing as-accurate-as-can-be-ascertained numbers?

Why won't God heal amputees?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2011, 02:01 PM
RE: How many different gods/versions of god are there/have there been?
How bout we start a list now, with every member contributing as many as they can conjure. And without waiting for any approval or input, let me begin!

Zeus (1)
Allah (2)
Buddha (3)
Baal (4)
Brahma (5)
Shiva (6)
Vishnu (7)
Jesus/Judeo-Christian God (8)

...lol, I'm just now realizing how futile and time consuming this is. There are thousands of gods with names, and thousands of gods referred to by what they do by their tribal worshipers ("the sun god" ..."god of the tides"). Greek mythology alone would overload the page and cause the forum to explode.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
23-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Mithras (9)

(23-06-2011 02:01 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...lol, I'm just now realizing how futile and time consuming this is. There are thousands of gods with names, and thousands of gods referred to by what they do by their tribal worshipers ("the sun god" ..."god of the tides"). Greek mythology alone would overload the page and cause the forum to explode.

You may have a point. Rolleyes

23-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Wikipedia's List of Greek Mythology Deities

My finger got tired of scrolling down. And this is just one culture during one period in time.

Plus I think you would need to define "God" before doing this. Achilles was a god but no one worshiped him and like most Greek gods, he was confined to a human body during his entire existence.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
23-06-2011, 02:41 PM
(23-06-2011 02:01 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Plus I think you would need to define "God" before doing this.

Nothing like an easy task like that Smile

How about something simple like 'a supernatural being which is or has been the focus of worship.'

23-06-2011, 04:17 PM
It's fundamentally impossible with knowledge that there has been societies with their own interpolations of polytheistic spirit gods that never got to be recorded... especially if you go with a supernatural being being worshiped definition. Smile

Plus you hit categories of debate by the believers. Like Catholics declaring their Mary and Saint idolizing isn't true worship because they only pray to those statues to pray for them.

There is allegedly from 300-700 deities of Ancient Greek. Around 350 deities but most of them have multiple names and with those sometimes comes a different tale or aspect.

I don't know, I'm just agnostic to the idea of how many Gods mankind has created being counted. I'm sure people have tried to categorize all the known Gods of mankind somewhere out in these internets.
23-06-2011, 04:55 PM
There's 330 million variations on the Hindu deities...they kind of take it to extremes...

Completely unsciencific guess, maybe as many as half a billion once you include the pantheons of the already mentioned Greeks and then add on the Vikings/Wiccans/Persians/Native Americans...

Monotheism seems so dull when you could be worshipping 330 million different flavours...and the Hindu food is better...and they have elephants and tigers....I'm converting...
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post
24-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Would we be including in our term of god the essences of something? The Ainu have a bear god like idea, but it is discussing the actual bear. The god part is discussing it in simply the spirit which all bears present. It's an animistic culture so everything is filled with spirits. Which means that in Ainu religious context there is a god for everything that exists along with a few things which probably don't exist. This god is the perfection and non corporeal form of the existing thing.

Also, if two gods are seen as parallels of each other with different titles should we converge them into a single god idea seeing as how they do the same thing?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Wow, that list would be incredibly huge. Just putting the names of the various gods together would be hundreds of pages long. In my studies there were at least ten thousand separate deities in the Akkadian Empire alone!

"Do what though wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - The Book of the Law
"There is no God but man" - Liber OZ

Light and Nature

Tweet!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 09:39 AM
From what I've heard the Mayans and Aztec had almost as many gods as the greeks

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"