How many different gods/versions of god are there/have there been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 10:27 AM
RE: How many different gods/versions of god are there/have there been?
(23-06-2011 02:31 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Plus I think you would need to define "God" before doing this.
When people talk about God today they usually refer to the being who created the universe and all we can see, but isn't part of it and was himself never created. By this definition the only Gods that have been named are the Christian God and Allah and perhaps Brahma. (I don't know much about Hinduism so I'm not sure whether he meets this definition of a God.)

On the other hand if you define god as something that people worship and make the main focus of their lives, you would have to include a lot of things that aren't normally labelled as gods, so it would be impossible to count them. Even people who publically profess to follow a God may in fact have something else at the center of their life that they really relay on.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Perhapes "Idol" may be a better term?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 09:02 PM
One.

#sigh
24-06-2011, 09:18 PM
(24-06-2011 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  One.

Ah, but you are taking Pastafarianism at its monotheistic face value. There are some pirates who believe in the Bowly Trinity, consisting of the Noodle, the Meatball, and the Sauce. Each with its own divine contribution. Then there are the Noodle Separatists, who preach that each noodle is worthy of praise. And even some people who teach that WE are the proverbial grated Parmesan cheese, and through us, we bring about an amplification of the FSM's natural goodness.

Hallenoodlah.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
15-02-2015, 12:24 PM
The Dictionary of Ancient Deities lists over 10,000 entries:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dictiona...145045&r=1
15-02-2015, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 01:57 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities

and even funnier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peo...o_be_Jesus

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
15-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Tons in human history. Even among the same labels of all prior polytheism and monotheism there are different sects and different interpretations. And these morph into splinter religions and or die out over time. None of our human invented religions were around 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, and all of our religions and god claims will die when our species goes extinct in the future.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user