How many errors can you spot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 12:59 AM
How many errors can you spot?
Just stumbled across someting on FB, the contact of a friend of mine posted someting regarding atheism. Most probably american.
These people really dont read their bible. But what wonders me most is the fact that first the definition of "faith" get quoted and then erroneously applied to atheists. Ive pointed out twice that that atheism is just the rejection of a claim, but its like talking to a brick wall. Facepalm

Quote:In the great scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. Some people believe and some don't. Each have a 50-50 chance of being right. If you believe, but have led an immoral life, you will not enter heaven, if you don't believe, but have led a a moral life, you will, at least that is my belief. You don't have to believe in God, for God to believe in you. As for whether Atheism is a "faith", the partial definition is "confidence or trust in a person or thing", so, yes, atheism can be termed a faith, as atheists are confident or trust that there is no God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
28-03-2016, 01:30 AM
RE: How many errors can you spot?
Some people understand only faith so it is no surprise that they see atheist as just other kind of believers. Faith is only point of reference to them I guess and thought of someone living without it probably is scary.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Quote:In the great scheme of things, I don't think it really matters.

Beliefs matter, because they inform our actions. The 9/11 hijackers believed that they had their god on their side that day, and that flying those airplanes into their targets was a fulfillment of their god's will for them.

Beliefs fucking matter.

Quote:Some people believe and some don't. Each have a 50-50 chance of being right.

Not even fucking close. When people lie and make shit up whole cloth, those claims don't start with a 50% chance of actually being correct. The state of the truth is determined by the state of the evidence, and the evidence for god and the supernatural run the gamut from shit to nonexistent.

No credit for partial work.

Quote: If you believe, but have led an immoral life, you will not enter heaven, if you don't believe, but have led a a moral life, you will, at least that is my belief.

Great and all, except that belief is the only prerequisite required to enter Heaven, as per your own storybook. All can be forgiven, if you but believe. I didn't make this shit up, but it's funny how many people profess belief in this bullshit and yet just make up their own take on it.

The fucking Ad-Libs of religion.

Quote:You don't have to believe in God, for God to believe in you.

True, provided a god actually existed; and that is precisely what the faithful have failed to sufficiently substantiate since the dawn of recorded history.

Failure to meet their burden of proof.

Quote:As for whether Atheism is a "faith", the partial definition is "confidence or trust in a person or thing", so, yes, atheism can be termed a faith, as atheists are confident or trust that there is no God.

When someone makes a claim, and then they fail to back it up, it does not require faith to reject that claim. I'm no more 'faithful' that no gods exists than I am 'faithful' in the existence or nonexistence of Russel's Teapot, the Vampire Witches of Saturn™ (call-back), or a skull juggling vampire-walrus sitting on an indigo plinth under the surface of fucking Pluto.

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence; no faith required.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Equivocating different denotations of the word "faith" is his biggest, but not nearly his only, error.
28-03-2016, 06:25 AM
The next answer, which -i think- ends the conversation, because this person cant be
bothered to look up the definition of the very position he/she is criticizing.

Quote:No where in the definition is the phrase "without good reason". Believing in God is not "blind faith", nor is not believing in God. I did not look up the definition of atheist because, frankly, I didn't believe one was needed. I took my partial definition directly from the www. Also, many of the atheists I know do "trust" in things, and all of them are confident that there is no God. I'm not going to argue about it, I spoke how I believed, and you spoke how you believe. I was answering xxx's question, not responding to your response.
28-03-2016, 08:52 AM
There is no discussion with such people. In any case they arent worthy of attention.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-03-2016, 09:21 AM
50/50? I think not. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-03-2016, 09:44 AM
(28-03-2016 12:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Just stumbled across someting on FB, the contact of a friend of mine posted someting regarding atheism. Most probably american.
These people really dont read their bible. But what wonders me most is the fact that first the definition of "faith" get quoted and then erroneously applied to atheists. Ive pointed out twice that that atheism is just the rejection of a claim, but its like talking to a brick wall. Facepalm

Quote:In the great scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. Some people believe and some don't. Each have a 50-50 chance of being right. If you believe, but have led an immoral life, you will not enter heaven, if you don't believe, but have led a a moral life, you will, at least that is my belief. You don't have to believe in God, for God to believe in you. As for whether Atheism is a "faith", the partial definition is "confidence or trust in a person or thing", so, yes, atheism can be termed a faith, as atheists are confident or trust that there is no God.

Bullshit. Issues of probability in scientific terms are NEVER 50/50. That bullshit stems from our social norms of sense of "fairness". It is wonderful that humans evolved with a sense of fairness, and that stems from our evolutionary empathy.

But that is not the same as taking a claim into a neutral lab.

You don't simply make a claim in science based on "I like it", before you even get to that lab to have it tested, that hypothesis has to be built on all the prior methods established prior.

Claims in a scientific setting are not true by default nor are they 50/50. When scientists talk about probability they talk in terms of statistical likelihood, which is not merely and layperson's concept of equality.

There is a huge difference between how laypeople use words and how scientific method defines words. THEY ARE NOT the same concepts.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-03-2016, 02:15 PM
(28-03-2016 12:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  [quote]In the great scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. Some people believe and some don't. Each have a 50-50 chance of being right.

Nope. This just indicates a lack of mathematics knowledge. Occam's Razor confirms this.

(28-03-2016 12:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  [quote]If you believe, but have led an immoral life, you will not enter heaven, if you don't believe, but have led a a moral life, you will, at least that is my belief. You don't have to believe in God, for God to believe in you.

This is just a reworking of Pascal's Wager—an argument that asserts that one should believe in God, even if God's existence cannot be proved or disproved through reason. The best course of action is to believe in God regardless of the lack of any evidence, because that option gives the biggest potential gains. (Most philosophers think Pascal's Wager is the weakest of all arguments for believing in the existence of God. Pascal thought it was the strongest!)

(28-03-2016 12:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  [quote]As for whether Atheism is a "faith", the partial definition is "confidence or trust in a person or thing", so, yes, atheism can be termed a faith, as atheists are confident or trust that there is no God.

I agree that one definition of "faith" can be confidence or trust in a person or thing, but faith per se is defined as belief without evidence.

It all becomes rather boring when theists such as this constantly fall back on semantics in a contrived effort to prove that atheists have faith, or atheism is a religion. They intend for it to defocus us from the crux of the matter, and deflect us atheists from continuing to demand of them empirical evidence for their god; it's just a diversionary tactic, and not worth wasting a lot of time on.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
31-03-2016, 01:01 PM
My fiance is an agnostic and sometimes he get's asked if he feels the existence of a God is a 50/50 chance and he always laughs at that. He feels the scientific evidence points to no God at all but even if there was one that started the Big Bang let's say it is indifferent to us, abandoned us or dead, no reason to believe it's still around loving us, judging us or reading our thoughts so there is no 50/50, there is a very tiny chance but even that would require a re-defining of the nature of this God so in the case of the Christian God there is a zero chance. As far as atheists, how is there a 50% chance in our minds? The definition of atheism isn't: "The Belief that maybe there's a God."

The one part I think is pretty funny is the idea that God "still believes" in us. Yes, well considering that I am real and there is evidence I exist there is no reason for anyone to not believe that I exist, this God on the other hand is a different story.

As far as the question of faith goes, I always explain in terms of something that is possible. If I tell a track runner that I have "faith" he will win a Gold medal someday at the Olympics that is a real possibility. He's a great runner, the Olympics are a real event, if he trains enough, why not? If I tell an old woman who is in a wheelchair and hasn't walked for years that I have faith she will win a Gold Medal not only would that be cruel there is no reason whatsoever to believe that's even a possibility much less something to put any kind of emotion into much less "faith".

So if an atheist has faith in something it's going to be something within the realm of possibilities. If I have "faith" or even giving a 50/50 chance that Jesus is real, lives in Heaven and loves me based on a book I may as well give the idea that Hades is real and resides in the underworld some faith and a 50% chance of being real. Do all Christians think that perhaps Zeus and Odin are real? I doubt that, which means they are operating on the same definition of faith I am, they're just much more gullible.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post