How many errors can you spot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 02:10 PM
RE: How many errors can you spot?
I'm no statistician but it is just plain ignorant or perhaps disingenuous to misrepresent 2 choices as 50/50 probability. You either win the lottery or you don't. That doesn't mean that I would assign a probability of 50% to it.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
01-04-2016, 08:27 AM
(28-03-2016 01:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Some people understand only faith so it is no surprise that they see atheist as just other kind of believers. Faith is only point of reference to them I guess and thought of someone living without it probably is scary.

Why?
01-04-2016, 09:42 PM
(01-04-2016 08:27 AM)The Knock Wrote:  
(28-03-2016 01:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Some people understand only faith so it is no surprise that they see atheist as just other kind of believers. Faith is only point of reference to them I guess and thought of someone living without it probably is scary.

Why?

If you're asking why the thought of living without faith is scary for some people, I think the answer is simply that it's unknown. For a lot of religious people I know (my former self included) the idea that there's something bigger than you that you can put your trust in, whose existence and consistency you think you can rely on, and who has all the answers, can relieve a lot of the anxiety that life and mortality bring on.
If you're asking why these people understand only faith, my best guess is that's what they've always been taught. When I was in the church, our authorities told us directly that those who claimed to be without faith were really only putting their faith elsewhere, be it in themselves, in someone/something else, or whatever.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
02-04-2016, 12:44 AM
(01-04-2016 08:27 AM)The Knock Wrote:  

Why?

Cause if someone really do not believe then it may mean that faith isn't something truly needed and existence of god is far from evident, so believer in question allowed himself to be conned.

Faith is certainty and lack of faith shows that such certainty can be based on nothing more than wishful thinking. But if atheists do not lack faith, only "believe in reverse" there is no problem.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-04-2016, 06:32 PM
(28-03-2016 12:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Just stumbled across someting on FB, the contact of a friend of mine posted someting regarding atheism. Most probably american.
These people really dont read their bible. But what wonders me most is the fact that first the definition of "faith" get quoted and then erroneously applied to atheists. Ive pointed out twice that that atheism is just the rejection of a claim, but its like talking to a brick wall. Facepalm

Quote:In the great scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. Some people believe and some don't. Each have a 50-50 chance of being right. If you believe, but have led an immoral life, you will not enter heaven, if you don't believe, but have led a a moral life, you will, at least that is my belief. You don't have to believe in God, for God to believe in you. As for whether Atheism is a "faith", the partial definition is "confidence or trust in a person or thing", so, yes, atheism can be termed a faith, as atheists are confident or trust that there is no God.

Actually, there is a zero percent chance that the believer is right.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post