How many here hate their parents for religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 01:33 PM
How many here hate their parents for religion?
Is it normal to hold serious resentment towards your parents for forcing religion on you as a kid. I consider it child abuse. Anyone agree. I was actually a altar boy LOL! Hard to believe I once rang a bell every sunday. Looking back I wish I would have pissed in the whine those priests drank.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post
26-02-2012, 02:03 PM
RE: How many here hate their parents for religion?
No, resentment is probably not normal. Or at least not logical.

Your parents didn't hatch a plan to deceive you or fuck up your life with religion. My assumption is they have been deluded too, just like everyone else who is religious. But this alone does not make them bad people worthy of resentment. Not that there might not be other reasons for resentment, but in my opinion, they were just as victimized by religion as you seem to feel you were.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 02:05 PM
It is not child abuse. Your parents meant only good for you. They taught you what they thought will bring you forward in your life, and one of those things were religion. Parents don't always do everything right obviously but they didn't mean you harm. Was it brain washing? Yes? Did they do it in order to make your life miserable? No!

Hate is a pretty strong word and saying that about your parents is really heavy.
Did they starve you? Rape you? Beat you up? Did they make you work hard without breaks in all your spare time? Did they deny you contact to your friends all the time?

So no, I don't aggree.
I don't aggree on brainwashing kids into religion either but as I said, they meant no harm so don't hate your parents, hate religion, because religion is the problem, not your parents, they have been indoctrinated, too.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
26-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Hate is a function of love, use wisely. Wink

Parents are of a subset of past; live forward, or not at all, yeah?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-02-2012, 02:23 PM
(26-02-2012 02:21 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Live forward, or not at all, yeah?

Amen, Brother.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I have none but my parent's never did a whole lot of believe or thought forcing. I was brought to Church and sunday school every week for the most of my young life but the ideas never stuck to me and there was no fear inciting ever.

I think some amount of indoctrination can become child abuse but it takes some serious effort by those parents.
26-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I think I did for a while. But then I confronted my father about it, and he explained how difficult it was for him in this society, to come to grips with being an atheist, and to come out to his family. And even though he did send me to church and to Catholic school, he also taught me the scientific method and the importance of critical thinking. He told me last year that, while I was in catholic school, he got a call from my headmaster at least every week complaining about my conduct towards the priests who taught RE, ditching mass and mocking catholic rituals. And he always defended my actions, and never confronted me about it.

I let go of any resentment I had.

Don't let your resentment fester. Confront your parents about it. Tell them how you feel about it. Even if they cannot justify their choices to you, at least you will have aired your grievances, and you will no longer resent them.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
26-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Hate's a strong word. Resentment too. I used to be annoyed that my mother forced religion on me (my father, while a believer in God, isn't a fan of organized religion so he never forced religion on us).

But the way I look at it, my mother is a product of her environment. Both of her parents were religious, my grandmother was Irish Catholic (as she often described herself) and my grandfather was Southern Baptist turned Catholic. And both of them were products of their religious families.

They all meant well. They all thought religion was important and necessary. And as believers in the Bible, they wanted to make sure our souls were safe and that we'd one day be in Heaven rather than Hell. Can't really fault them for that.
[+] 2 users Like jinun's post
26-02-2012, 07:43 PM
(26-02-2012 07:38 PM)jinun Wrote:  Hate's a strong word. Resentment too. I used to be annoyed that my mother forced religion on me (my father, while a believer in God, isn't a fan of organized religion so he never forced religion on us).

But the way I look at it, my mother is a product of her environment. Both of her parents were religious, my grandmother was Irish Catholic (as she often described herself) and my grandfather was Southern Baptist turned Catholic. And both of them were products of their religious families.

They all meant well. They all thought religion was important and necessary. And as believers in the Bible, they wanted to make sure our souls were safe and that we'd one day be in Heaven rather than Hell. Can't really fault them for that.

I was about to post almost this exact post. Wink
26-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't you feel stupid, when you were having problems, that you prayed for help. Your parents forced you to not rely on your own coping skills and deal with it, and instead prayed to god for every goddamn thing that happened to you.