How many here hate their parents for religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 07:56 PM
RE: How many here hate their parents for religion?
(26-02-2012 07:50 PM)satan69 Wrote:  Don't you feel stupid, when you were having problems, that you prayed for help. Your parents forced you to not rely on your own coping skills and deal with it, and instead prayed to god for every goddamn thing that happened to you.

Yeah, I remember praying for all kinds of ridiculously stupid stuff. I always made sure to thank Him when it came true, but for some reason I never blamed him when it didn't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 08:10 PM
(26-02-2012 07:50 PM)satan69 Wrote:  Don't you feel stupid, when you were having problems, that you prayed for help. Your parents forced you to not rely on your own coping skills and deal with it, and instead prayed to god for every goddamn thing that happened to you.

I have nothing extra to add to the comments above so instead, here's another thought...
I would be feeling stupid and perhaps resentful had my parents forced me to pray as you mention. So, I wonder.... how did you break free from that mentality?
Or, to put it another way, your parents are a product of their society but you are a product of your society so what were the influences that you can be thankful for that have helped you get to where you are now?
It is those positive forces that need to be nutured and protected to enable the freedoms we enjoy now to endure for future generations.

btw, it's the professional persecutors that get my vitriol, not the amateur victims ("hate" the priest not the parent)

26-02-2012, 08:59 PM
No hatred, not for the Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy lies either.

Parents want the best for their kids, typically.

Mine are freaking out that I'm teaching my daughter to be an atheist.
It's ok for me to be headed for hell. I'm an adult and have made a decision.
But, by daughter cannot make an informed decision, they say.

They are exactly correct. That's why she's not being indoctrinated into a superstitious world view that will take her years to break free from when she's an adult, or be trapped in for the rest of her life.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post