How many here have atheist parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
How many here have atheist parents?
And to add to that question, how many forum members were never brought up with any religious belief or indoctrination and have been pretty much atheist from the get-go? I've extremely happy to say I had atheist parents. When I was growing up I thought that was normal but I now realize it must be kinda unusual, especially in America.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-05-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: How many here have atheist parents?
(02-05-2014 12:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And to add to that question, how many forum members were never brought up with any religious belief or indoctrination and have been pretty much atheist from the get-go? I've extremely happy to say I had atheist parents. When I was growing up I thought that was normal but I now realize it must be kinda unusual, especially in America.

We never really talked about God or went to church or anything so i'd say my parents are and were pretty much Atheist though my father was not around for most of my life.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
(02-05-2014 01:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 12:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And to add to that question, how many forum members were never brought up with any religious belief or indoctrination and have been pretty much atheist from the get-go? I've extremely happy to say I had atheist parents. When I was growing up I thought that was normal but I now realize it must be kinda unusual, especially in America.

We never really talked about God or went to church or anything so i'd say my parents are and were pretty much Atheist though my father was not around for most of my life.

Are you American?

02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
(02-05-2014 01:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  We never really talked about God or went to church or anything so i'd say my parents are and were pretty much Atheist though my father was not around for most of my life.

Are you American?

Yep, born and raised in Michigan

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
I have secular parents, but not atheists... I think.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
02-05-2014, 01:09 PM
I was never made to go to church or given any religious instruction at all. I'm not sure my mom had anything other than a cultural view of religion (Catholicism) but she did seem to believe in god. Religion just never infringed on my life. I only saw the inside of churches for funerals, weddings and the like. I grew up in the Boston area so it wasn't really a hotbed of religious ferver.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-05-2014, 01:11 PM
(02-05-2014 01:05 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I have secular parents, but not atheists... I think.

Are you one of the forum members that's Jewish? For some reason I was thinking you were but I could be totally wrong.

02-05-2014, 01:15 PM
(02-05-2014 01:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:05 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I have secular parents, but not atheists... I think.

Are you one of the forum members that's Jewish? For some reason I was thinking you were but I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, my parents dragged me to Jewish Sunday school, but both of them are not Jewish. We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.) but my parents are Christians (in heritage) and we celebrate both christian and Jewish holidays. (My mom's uncle is Jewish, so we adopted Judaism.)
You probably though about it because I said in the deconversion thread, I went to Jewish Sunday school.
But now, since they've been around me, (And I'm very open about my atheism to my family.) I think they've changed, or atleast they are deists.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
You should make this a poll so we can see the results easier Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
(02-05-2014 01:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.)

Lmao adopt Jewish faith for free food? Where do I sign up?

[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post