How many here have atheist parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: How many here have atheist parents?
(02-05-2014 01:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.)

Lmao adopt Jewish faith for free food? Where do I sign up?

Nope, the food wasn't free.
They charge us money for a plastic bowl of soup, and some chichken with flakes of oats on the outside.
$50

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(02-05-2014 01:23 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Lmao adopt Jewish faith for free food? Where do I sign up?

Nope, the food wasn't free.
They charge us money for a plastic bowl of soup, and some chichken with flakes of oats on the outside.
$50

Well that's a rip-off

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-05-2014, 01:32 PM
(02-05-2014 01:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Are you one of the forum members that's Jewish? For some reason I was thinking you were but I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, my parents dragged me to Jewish Sunday school, but both of them are not Jewish. We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.) but my parents are Christians (in heritage) and we celebrate both christian and Jewish holidays. (My mom's uncle is Jewish, so we adopted Judaism.)
You probably though about it because I said in the deconversion thread, I went to Jewish Sunday school.
But now, since they've been around me, (And I'm very open about my atheism to my family.) I think they've changed, or atleast they are deists.

LOL That's a head scratcher! Consider I'm not a big fan of Jewish food, but whatever. And the kosher cooking thing is wacky. What's with the idiot thing where you don't mix some of the cooking utensils because one was cooked with meat and the other was cooked with milk products. Or do I even have that correct?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
(02-05-2014 01:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Yeah, my parents dragged me to Jewish Sunday school, but both of them are not Jewish. We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.) but my parents are Christians (in heritage) and we celebrate both christian and Jewish holidays. (My mom's uncle is Jewish, so we adopted Judaism.)
You probably though about it because I said in the deconversion thread, I went to Jewish Sunday school.
But now, since they've been around me, (And I'm very open about my atheism to my family.) I think they've changed, or atleast they are deists.

LOL That's a head scratcher! Consider I'm not a big fan of Jewish food, but whatever. And the kosher cooking thing is wacky. What's with the idiot thing where you don't mix some of the cooking utensils because one was cooked with meat and the other was cooked with milk products. Or do I even have that correct?
Ahh, we don't do kosher.
(But we do kosher salt.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
02-05-2014, 01:50 PM
(02-05-2014 01:33 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  LOL That's a head scratcher! Consider I'm not a big fan of Jewish food, but whatever. And the kosher cooking thing is wacky. What's with the idiot thing where you don't mix some of the cooking utensils because one was cooked with meat and the other was cooked with milk products. Or do I even have that correct?
Ahh, we don't do kosher.
(But we do kosher salt.)

This thread kinda went in a different direction but I got curious about the Jewish thing. I found some information on kosher cooking.

"Talmud prohibits cooking meat and fish together or serving them on the same plate.
This separation includes not only the foods themselves, but also the cooking utensils, plates and flatware, dishwashers or dishpans, sponges and kitchen towels. Therefore, a kosher household will have two sets of pots, pans and dishes – one for meat and one for dairy."

I mean, what the hell? It's way to complicated. And then orthodox Jews can't eat lobster, shrimp and clams !?? I'd leave that religion just on that basis alone.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-05-2014, 03:08 PM
My Dad was probably a deist if anything - I remember we once discussed his interest in reincarnation. At one point, my Mom became involved in a presbyterian church - I think for the social thing - she currently goes to a methodist one.

As for my brother and I, we were never obliged to "be religious" in any way. We were actually encouraged to explore and form our own opinions about things like politics and religion. I'm quite certain my brother is a deist; he does not feel at all conflicted between having a faith and understanding science. He is fairly conservative but really has no time for any kind of religious extremism or anti-religious extremism.

My family all know I've always been something akin to agnostic / atheist. One's belief or lack thereof, was always one's own business and no big deal. In the US in general, it seems like it's never been all that big of a deal, until recently - the last couple of decades or so.

Ha - a couple of years ago, my catholic cousin tried to explain to her niece, my absence at her "confirmation" saying, "Kim is agnostic." With the confused look the niece shot me, I have to wonder what information they might be keeping from these teenage catholics. My "confirmation" gift to her was a sterling silver book mark shaped into the Aramaic/Hebrew word "Shalom" (Peace). Though most felt it was beautiful and very appropriate to the occasion, the niece had no understanding of any of it's religious references ... so... uh, yea.

We (Americans) used to be encouraged to think for ourselves ... until recently. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Mama was into her Christianity. Grandma was fire and brimstone. Old man was an odd mix of brimstone and deist - brimstone inherited from *his* mama, i.e. Grandma. Grandma nailed us with the religious shit when we were kids... parents weren't too worried... we got heavy doses of religion. I think my bro figured it out first, that it was all horseshit. Followed by me a few years later. I went back to it though, always was a mystical little shit. Gave it up again later... decided mysticism was all crap. Sister stayed faithful for a very long time. Only much later decided it was poo.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
My mom was raised Catholic but didn't practice it after her wedding. She never really said where she stood in regards to religion. I don't *ever* remember her saying *anything* about God, certainly not Jesus. Even when loved ones were dying in the hospital or at funerals.....never talk about heaven, praying etc. She simply never spoke about it.

My Dad had a variety of church experiences growing up. As an adult, he would talk about things he learned or experienced...He went thru some classes back in the late 50's-early 60's for the Catholic church so he could marry my mom. But as soon as they were married-that all stopped. But it was a rare conversation...it wasn't like he discussed it often. As he got older, he identified more with Native American ideas because he liked the 'woo' part and it loosely has a earthy-natural element to it. I wouldn't say he actually *believed* it but it gave him comfort. When my siblings and I planned his funeral and were answering questions, we immediately labeled him as atheist- not one of us had an inkling of doubt about it.

There were 5 kids in our family
Brother #1- loud, proud atheist
Older sister- wishy washy-- she *wants* to believe in heaven in her heart but knows their isn't one in her head. So she flip flops depending on her mood and company.
Brother #2- baptized Baptist to satisfy his soon to wife's parents when he lived in GA. Never went back to church after the wedding....neither did she.
Brother #3- Catholic because his wife is. Mostly practicing when its convenient for him. He likes to believe my Mom was a practicing Catholic-the rest of us just think he's nuts.
Me- - I tried Christianity for a bit in my 30's-It was an exploration of learning something new, and an easy way to make my new husband happy. Pretty much creeped me out from Day 1, never really stuck. Dad died and I got to thinking about things, carried the agnostic label for about a week, then just got on with thinking it thru and now 'atheist' fits me too. I'm not out & loud, living in the south makes it hard, so if pressed I will say, but mostly try to avoid the topic to play nice.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Mum's now a vocal atheist when the subject comes up, quite anti-islamic. Dad I guess is a long-lapsed catholic, not really bothered by religion but opposed to actively disabusing other people of their comforting illusions.

I went to Sunday school for Gran's sake, decided it was all bollocks (yes I'm a Brit) well before the age of nine and refused to go any more at nine. I don't think my gran goes to church any more, that may have been a phase after my grandad died.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
02-05-2014, 04:38 PM
(02-05-2014 03:39 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My mom was raised Catholic but didn't practice it after her wedding. She never really said where she stood in regards to religion. I don't *ever* remember her saying *anything* about God, certainly not Jesus. Even when loved ones were dying in the hospital or at funerals.....never talk about heaven, praying etc. She simply never spoke about it.

My Dad had a variety of church experiences growing up. As an adult, he would talk about things he learned or experienced...He went thru some classes back in the late 50's-early 60's for the Catholic church so he could marry my mom. But as soon as they were married-that all stopped. But it was a rare conversation...it wasn't like he discussed it often. As he got older, he identified more with Native American ideas because he liked the 'woo' part and it loosely has a earthy-natural element to it. I wouldn't say he actually *believed* it but it gave him comfort. When my siblings and I planned his funeral and were answering questions, we immediately labeled him as atheist- not one of us had an inkling of doubt about it.

There were 5 kids in our family
Brother #1- loud, proud atheist
Older sister- wishy washy-- she *wants* to believe in heaven in her heart but knows their isn't one in her head. So she flip flops depending on her mood and company.
Brother #2- baptized Baptist to satisfy his soon to wife's parents when he lived in GA. Never went back to church after the wedding....neither did she.
Brother #3- Catholic because his wife is. Mostly practicing when its convenient for him. He likes to believe my Mom was a practicing Catholic-the rest of us just think he's nuts.
Me- - I tried Christianity for a bit in my 30's-It was an exploration of learning something new, and an easy way to make my new husband happy. Pretty much creeped me out from Day 1, never really stuck. Dad died and I got to thinking about things, carried the agnostic label for about a week, then just got on with thinking it thru and now 'atheist' fits me too. I'm not out & loud, living in the south makes it hard, so if pressed I will say, but mostly try to avoid the topic to play nice.

My parents were atheist, maybe agnostic but certainly recognized the havoc that religion has had on mankind . We were encouraged to learn about philosophy and other religions and if we wanted to go to church we had to go by ourselves because my dad wasn't about to get up on a nice Sunday morning and listen to a lot of nonsense. He wanted to watch football. My mom was a Sunday painter and was usually standing in front of an easel covered in paint.

Both my grandparents on both sides of the family constantly argued about religion. My grandfather on my fathers side was a "freethinker" which I guess had a nicer sound than atheist so it placated my religious grandmother. It was because of the constant arguing that my parents wanted us to decide for ourselves, so that's what we all did.

I have two brothers and one sister. My brothers were hell raisers and have never had a damn thing to do with religion, but they're great guys. Love em. My sister, however, became a stuck up, emotionally remote Lutheran. It's a long story but she tried to have my husband arrested two days after my father died and hasn't talked to me in 7 years and hasn't spoken to her only adult child in about 12 years. She's a real treat!!