How many here have atheist parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: How many here have atheist parents?
Religion wasn't talked about at all at home. I got to choose what to do and no one influenced me one way or another.

I was wildly devout as catholic until age 10, when I read the bible and discarded it as nonsense.

My parents were closet atheists it turned out, both told me only when on their death bed. Times were different back then, if they had spoken out they would have lost their families and dad would have lost his job.

I wish they had told me about it earlier, it would have been great to have talked about it with them and learned their experiences.

I think that my dad's family was riddled with atheists, but now I'll never know. Mom's family was devoutly catholic.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-05-2014, 06:29 PM
One, a lapsed catholic now turned Gnostic Atheist who was moderately catholic when I was growing up (but always hated the church).

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Mom had attended a Methodist church when growing up. Then she married my Catholic father. After that her 'religion' consisted of hating the Catholic faith that she promised to raise her kids in. I have heard that she started going to church again a few years ago...a little late I would think. She has a lot to atone for.

Dad made us do the whole Catholic, even school, because he didn't want to alienate potential clients. When he discovered golf...more specifically men only mornings at the county club on Sundays...he was done with church altogether. The last few years of his life he was atheist.

We were more cultural Catholics than anything. Religion was seldom discussed at home.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-05-2014, 07:25 PM
(02-05-2014 01:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 12:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And to add to that question, how many forum members were never brought up with any religious belief or indoctrination and have been pretty much atheist from the get-go? I've extremely happy to say I had atheist parents. When I was growing up I thought that was normal but I now realize it must be kinda unusual, especially in America.

We never really talked about God or went to church or anything so i'd say my parents are and were pretty much Atheist though my father was not around for most of my life.

My dad was devout catholic, mom went along for the ride, although she was technically catholic. She has major issues with how women were treated and therefore is resentful and resistant to support that.

Dad was devout but he was bad at it. They used birth control until they found out that he was infertile. Then they did sperm donation and iVF.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Atheist from day one courtesy of two atheist parents.

That's not to say I was never lied to as a kid. For 20 years I thought the registry office was a children's home (thanks to my father driving me there when I was naughty). Plus well into my teens I still thought travelling gypsies stole kids... Again thanks to my father lol
02-05-2014, 08:07 PM
(02-05-2014 07:30 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Atheist from day one courtesy of two atheist parents.

That's not to say I was never lied to as a kid. For 20 years I thought the registry office was a children's home (thanks to my father driving me there when I was naughty). Plus well into my teens I still thought travelling gypsies stole kids... Again thanks to my father lol

After reading through all the posts you're one of the few that had both parents who were atheist. Mine were as well. My mother bypassed the easter bunny thing too. She thought it was about the stupidest myth going and had no interest in coloring and hiding easter eggs for us kids. We lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California with no TV so I had no idea I was even missing anything at easter time. We did a secular Christmas with presents under a tree which my father would chop down in the forest above the infamous Donner Pass area. Up until I was about 8 or 9 I believed in Santa.

It's been only recently that I've realized how nutty religion is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
My Parents were "Culturally Christian", but they treated religious related activity as an obligation/duty/community peer pressure rather then a willing choice.

I picked up on this on reflection. you had to do things or the community would be aghast !

Oh by the way: POLL FAIL

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
02-05-2014, 08:31 PM
My dad's an atheist.

Don't know about my mum... I think she's probably agnostic.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 01:35 AM
(02-05-2014 01:17 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You should make this a poll so we can see the results easier Smile
*more easily

[Image: 2UyBXgB.png]

My mother is an atheist, my father a Christian.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Both my parents are atheists. Mom's a Jewish Atheist. She's very specific about that, both because she wants to retain the cultural heritage and because she needs to specify which God she doesn't believe in. Dad's more of the "they're all idiots and I don't wanna engage in any sort of discussion" atheist, but he was originally Christian.

That's right.

I was one of those kids.

One of THOSE kids.

One of those disgusting kids that got both Christmas and Hanukkah presents without being burdened with any of the religious elements of either holiday.

(02-05-2014 01:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 01:15 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  We may adopted the "Jewish faith" and celebrate the holidays secularly (apart from the services that we go to only to impress other people and have food.)

Lmao adopt Jewish faith for free food? Where do I sign up?

Well, you have to ask whether it's food you WANT.

Seder's pretty meh. You have to eat lamb, which sucks if you want to be a vegetarian, and keeping dipping stuff in salt water. The horseradish is pretty good, though. Rosh Hashana is okay, if you have a sweet tooth, and the Purim cookies are great if you can tolerate lots of screaming and loud noises and kids with toys that make loud noises. The Sabbath wine is way too sweet, but the braided bread is interesting for the first few times before it gets boring and you realize it's just plain dinner roll style bread in a funky shape. Yom Kippur food is.... well, nadah. It's a fasting holiday. Yes, there's more than one. It's a Thing. Also, no eating leaven bread during passover, nothing with yeast in it, just awful awful matzoh.

But nothing. NOTHING. Beats Hanukkah food.

Disclaimer: Hanukkah food is not recommend for anyone with a heart condition, arterial blockage, or arteries that might conceivably become blocked some time in the future.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post