How many man-hours wasted in prayer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 10:44 AM
How many man-hours wasted in prayer?
After tidying the garage out, and finishing my other jobs I got sat down with a bottle of Merlot and started to ponder about the billions of folk around the world who will be prostrate or head bowed in prayer on the sabbath.

How many man-hours are wasted each day around the world in futile worship?

Using wiki religious distribution figures and current world population as 7.315 billion and 4 major faiths, we have the scary figures of...

Xtian (31.5%) 2.304 billion people
Muslim (23.2%) 1.70 billion people
Hindu (15.0%) 1.09 billion people
Buddhist (7.1%) 0.519 billion people

I have no idea the average time spent in prayer by your common xtian so I'll have a stab at 30mins/day. Muslims a bit more - perhaps 60mins/day with the 5 prayers plus setup (washing etc) and another 30min to add for the major events like ramadan etc.. so 90min/day total. Hindus and Buddhists I also put down as 30min/day for their prayer/chants. I'm happy to be corrected on these guesses.

So that works out at;

Xtian 1.17 billion man hours
Muslim 2.55 billion man hours
Hindu 0.545 billion man hours
Buddhist 0.259 billion man hours

A grand total of 4.524 billion man hours every single day is spent praying to various gods. That's 9.8 billion man weeks every fucking year (if the Merlot hasn't skewed my calculation). What an almighty fucking waste of effort. What we might achieve if that effort was placed elsewhere? And what sort of ignorant lazy arse bunch of gods are they that they can't be bothered to take time out to just make one single fucking appearance after that amount of adulation?

And for the record, this calculation wasted about 20 man minutes.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TubbyTubby's post
17-05-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: How many man-hours wasted in prayer?
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  What an almighty fucking waste of effort. What we might achieve if that effort was placed elsewhere?
Are you talking about increased work hours?
Find all posts by this user
17-05-2015, 11:12 AM
(17-05-2015 10:58 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  What an almighty fucking waste of effort. What we might achieve if that effort was placed elsewhere?
Are you talking about increased work hours?
No, not specifically. Just trying to quantify the monumentous waste of human effort in prayer. Bake a cake, do a crossword, cut the grass, pick your nose, take a walk, go to the pub, play football, watch tv, shave your tongue. Anything, but anything is infinitely more constructive than bowing your head to a fucking god who does not exist.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like TubbyTubby's post
17-05-2015, 11:23 AM
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  What we might achieve if that effort was placed elsewhere?
(17-05-2015 11:12 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Bake a cake, do a crossword, cut the grass, pick your nose, take a walk, go to the pub, play football, watch tv, shave your tongue. Anything, but anything is infinitely more constructive than bowing your head to a fucking god who does not exist.
What we might achieve with this?
17-05-2015, 11:28 AM
(17-05-2015 11:23 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  What we might achieve if that effort was placed elsewhere?
(17-05-2015 11:12 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Bake a cake, do a crossword, cut the grass, pick your nose, take a walk, go to the pub, play football, watch tv, shave your tongue. Anything, but anything is infinitely more constructive than bowing your head to a fucking god who does not exist.

We'll achieve far more without prayer than with.

Sitting around wishing all day (which is what prayer IS) doesn't get the work done.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-05-2015, 11:45 AM
(17-05-2015 11:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 11:23 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  What we might achieve with this?

We'll achieve far more without prayer than with.
What you achieved is consequence of regulated capitalism. People in USSR and China didn't pray and didn't achieve much
17-05-2015, 11:46 AM
You could probably add times spent in services (I suppose its not wasted for those getting paid out of it). Though that gets a little interesting as time in service varies, you have those who don't attend services and you Mormons who have 3 hour services. Actually Mormons are an interesting case as they also have their temples which pull double duty in taking a fair amount of time (how much depends what exactly you're doing in there but one thing they do takes ~2-2.5 hours) but lets people feel good about doing service as they consider it a service to the dead.

Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.
17-05-2015, 12:08 PM
(17-05-2015 11:23 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  

If one man pulls a bogey from his nose to clear his nasal passage to breathe easier, he achieves more than the entire accumulative history of worthless prayer. I don't understand why that is confusing you.

Using Tapatalk
17-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:How many man-hours are wasted each day around the world in futile worship?

All of them are wasted.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
17-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Hmm...I don't know, I'll have to think about that.

Come back in seven and a half days and I will have the answer for you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ