Poll: Atheists. Do you like freedom?
I'm an atheist and I love freedom!
I'm an atheist and I hate freedom!
[Show Results]

How many of you Atheist . . . hate freedom?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
RE: How many of you Atheist . . . hate freedom?
I changed the OP a bit.

But yeah, it is VERY true that any real christian cannot have freedom if he is a slave to his god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I love freedom, not just for myself, but for everyone that hasn't given up their right to it by some criminal act. I love freedom for homosexuals, women, people with disabilities, atheists, etc.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
09-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Freedom is great, but I'm also a big fan of laws, morals, ethics, restrictions & regulations

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
(09-09-2013 07:22 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Update: For this pole, . . . assume the christian's idea of "freedom" is the united states democratic republic, and the "god given rights" for the pursuit of "life, liberty, and happiness".

Given this definition, I HATE freedom. In a democratic republic, one cannot be free. For every one law you like and support, there are tomes of other laws you do not know about and/or agree with.

Freedom is an absolute. Any limitation placed on freedom removes freedom from the equation.
09-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I find it incredibly ironic that Christians would claim that we atheists "hate freedom" when the entire basis of their religion is the very antithesis of freedom. Let's take the Presbyterian Church, for example, which believes in pre-destination and that God has already decided who will go to hell and who will go to heaven. A lack of freewill equates to a lack of true freedom.

Even if we take the branches of Christianity that do not believe in pre-destination, there still is a lack of freedom in Christianity. Just look at the list of sins that the Catholic Church says will send you to hell (can someone explain "voluntary doubt of faith" to me? I highly doubt many atheists woke up one morning and decided "I think I'm going to abandon my faith today just for funsies). To subscribe to any branch of Christianity is to give up your freedom. You have to live your life in fear of a God sending you to hell and made to feel guilty for human desires.

I could keep going, but I most of y'all are probably on the same page as me so doing so would be uneccessary.
[+] 2 users Like southernbelle's post