How many of you find a price like $199.99 insulting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 01:29 PM
How many of you find a price like $199.99 insulting?
We all know that the price is $200 plus tax.

The implication in the price full of nines is that we are total idiots who can not see through this really transparent and obvious manipulation of our perceptions.

Yet, people learnt to live with it, as with so many other idiotic techniques of capitalist brainwashing.

I bought a washing machine a year ago and the price tag was $599.99 – I told the sales person, in a relieved voice: “thanks god it isn’t $600 – I couldn’t afford that!”

She stared at me, not understanding the irony.

Are we, as a society that far gone?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: How many of you find a price like $199.99 insulting?
Since I work in sales and I use the same idiotic technique of capitalist mind-control, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Of course, you might also reference my response to your Jobs thread and recall that I don't like my work very much.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Doesn't hat have to do with taxes?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Specialty shops often make more money by figuring the tax in already and just charging that much more. For stores to go by sales tax is a kind of silly phenomenon, but when you're a chain store that exists in many regions to change the price wherever the store is wouldn't quite work the same.

Undercutting the competitor by any amount is important which is the sole reason the idea of 99 cents became popular. If your product looks less expensive at all you're more likely to make money. (the reason many went with hiding the tax). But it feels a lot better to just go in and pay the price you see.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
29-02-2012, 09:35 PM
$199.99 is not $200.

In the practice could be but from a psychological point of view, it is not.

$199.99 may be the determining factor for someone to buy a product: in ther minds, they're paying less than $200.

That's why we see these a lot:
$199.99
$199.95
$149.95
etc. etc.

I don't remember the name of the book but Dan Kennedy explains it very well.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Hyundai is looking to milk this easily anticipated backlash by offering their 2012 Azera at $32,000US exactly instead of $31,999. ... It's a smart tactic.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-03-2012, 03:45 AM
I find such methods not insulting, but interesting. It's a subtle method to attract customers with a perceived lower price, due to having a "1" instead of a "2" as the first number. It's interesting to see how the mind is manipulated just by tweaking the numbers.

Here's one picture that illustrates such hilarious deception.
[Image: buy-one-fish-and-chips-for-the-price-of-two.jpg]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
01-03-2012, 03:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 04:29 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
I asked this question when I was like 10, and my reaction to the answer is still the same as now, one of shock and disbelief. Is this actually fooling anyone? I have some serious doubts. However, I think what it really boils down to is tradition. We have been doing it so long that at this point that they just keep doing it.
01-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Its been years since we were able to buy things with a price tag of $5.99....since we scrapped 1 and 2 cent coins. Every now and then we talk about losing the 5 cent coin.

That being said, this summer a major supermarket had in store promotions claiming how buying 2 roasted chickens wouls d somehow save you twelve cents. A whoole $0.12.

I was told that pricing like this started when cash registers didn't produce receipts....I now suspect that is bolluck and figure there's more marketing 'spells and magic to it!!
01-03-2012, 04:16 AM
(29-02-2012 09:35 PM)KVron Wrote:  $199.99 may be the determining factor for someone to buy a product: in ther minds, they're paying less than $200.

I guess I could see if the motivation were to place items in specific ranges vs. just try to trick dumb people. Kind of like making your party be at 11:59pm Friday instead of midnight Saturday. They're practically the same, but people would get confused by midnight Saturday. (Is that the midnight after Friday or the midnight after Saturday?)

So if you're categorizing things by ranges, and you're looking at ranges like $100-$200, $200-$300, etc., where does $200 go? Is it $100-$200 or $200-$300?

But I guess pushing your product into the lower bracket might even be playing the game...