How many of you go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 01:28 AM
RE: How many of you go to church?
(09-08-2012 01:07 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you speak with him again, let him know about The Clergy Project. It's a highly confidential support site for pastors who no longer believe. They are very supportive to pastors who can't see a way out of the church because thats the only kind of work and education they've had. It could give him a chance to speak to others with his dilemma, and perhaps provide an Exit strategy so he can get out, if he so desires.

Or you can give him Erxomai's phone number... Laughat

(09-08-2012 01:14 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I am not certain he should leave. What if the church ends up with the standard believer. Not open to questions. I think that if the trend continues the way it is, in 50 or so years there won't be a single really strong believer there. Most of them already believe the bible is not word for word true. If we get someone else in there, the church might be used as a weapon.

Well first off.. if your wife is happy going to the church.. so be it. Leave that part alone. As for sharing with her your conversations with the pastor.. just remember that you said the pastor asked you not to talk about what you two talk about..

And finally.... heck give him this websites address... He's more than welcome to come on here and we'll help save him from himself. Hobo

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
09-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Go to church?

Hahahahahaahahahahahhaaaahaaa!Laugh out load

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Why say anything? He asked to keep it private--even if nothing else it'd show atheists are more respectful and trustworthy than theists (potentially in his mind, as he probably knows if he told one theists, it'd be gone within a month and find it hard to get a new church)
09-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Thread title asked a question. Why is the entire OP irrelevant to that question and is asking another?

I attend church for my grand parents sake from time to time. (Still in the closet with them. They are 80, no point in letting them die thinking I am going to hell.) Also my girlfriend wants me to go with her occasionally too. I will be going this Sunday actually.

As for the pastor, this is somewhat of a silly question. He brought it up. Why couldn't you ask him about it again?

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
09-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Your conversations with the pastor are private between the two of you. If you feel compelled to share them with your wife, you are breaking the confidence of the pastor.

09-08-2012, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 06:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-08-2012 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your conversations with the pastor are private between the two of you. If you feel compelled to share them with your wife, you are breaking the confidence of the pastor.

That's a joke right? The confidentiality between a pastor/priest and parishioner is not bidirectional, it's asymmetric. He's bound by confidentiality not you. Same deal with your doctor. ... Oops, forgot you were a lifelong atheist, Chas. Your ignorance is forgiven.

But that aside, I think that most of the clergy have serious doubts regarding the metaphysics they're preaching. I think they struggle with it constantly. Sometimes they just can't take it anymore and an Erxomai suddenly gets shitted out. Like I've said before, there's nothing better than a parochial education for churning out atheists. 10 years of Lutheran School turned me into one at the ripe old age of 16 yo. Had I gone on to seminary like Hellbound or Fullerene where they get into some seriously deep metaphysics and philosophy and start to study in depth the intellectual objections of other smart as shit fuckers, think I'd've ended up either as a militant anti-theist or a goddam opportunist looking to line my coffers with sheep's wool.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Last time I checked this was a Atheist forum.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
09-08-2012, 07:42 PM
(09-08-2012 06:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your conversations with the pastor are private between the two of you. If you feel compelled to share them with your wife, you are breaking the confidence of the pastor.

That's a joke right? The confidentiality between a pastor/priest and parishioner is not bidirectional, it's asymmetric. He's bound by confidentiality not you. Same deal with your doctor. ... Oops, forgot you were a lifelong atheist, Chas. Your ignorance is forgiven.

But that aside, I think that most of the clergy have serious doubts regarding the metaphysics they're preaching. I think they struggle with it constantly. Sometimes they just can't take it anymore and an Erxomai suddenly gets shitted out. Like I've said before, there's nothing better than a parochial education for churning out atheists. 10 years of Lutheran School turned me into one at the ripe old age of 16 yo. Had I gone on to seminary like Hellbound or Fullerene where they get into some seriously deep metaphysics and philosophy and start to study in depth the intellectual objections of other smart as shit fuckers, think I'd've ended up either as a militant anti-theist or a goddam opportunist looking to line my coffers with sheep's wool.

No, I just meant that a conversation between two people is not anyone else's business. Not invoking any rule.

09-08-2012, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 11:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-08-2012 07:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 06:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a joke right? The confidentiality between a pastor/priest and parishioner is not bidirectional, it's asymmetric. He's bound by confidentiality not you. Same deal with your doctor. ... Oops, forgot you were a lifelong atheist, Chas. Your ignorance is forgiven.

No, I just meant that a conversation between two people is not anyone else's business. Not invoking any rule.

Fucker wouldn't have shared it with a parishioner if he didn't want it to shared among the congregation for further consideration. Feels like a good pastor to me. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-08-2012, 10:24 PM
(09-08-2012 10:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 07:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I just meant that a conversation between two people is not anyone else's business. Not invoking any rule.

Fucker wouldn't have shared it if he didn't want it to be shared among the congregation for further consideration. Feels like a good pastor to me. Wink

As an atheist I am better than that. I will call out bullshit where I encounter it, however if he is willing to be honest I will keep the secret. I think that if he is a non-believer he is probably trapped in the job. He does not use the position for power or any of the other things that a lot are guilty of, so I feel I should be more honorable than many christian leaders out there.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post