How many of you go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2012, 08:04 PM
RE: How many of you go to church?
(12-08-2012 07:55 PM)pawprints1985 Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome to the marriage contract footprints. Your husband realizes that the promise of a postmortem preservation is completely untenable bullshit. You don't. Don't mean you can't make beautiful babies together. I did with ManlyGirl. Wink

You need proof that it does exest well I need proof that it doesn't.

That's a phrase you'll probably never say here again Smile

If I said "I have a an invisible, untouchable, flying dragon in my garage" by that logic, you'd have to believe it exists until someone can prove it doesn't. And the abominable snowmen, santa claus, bigfoot, gray aliens like in movies, lochness (sp?) monster, leprechauns, fairies, thor, zeus.......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
(12-08-2012 07:15 PM)pawprints1985 Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 11:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Depends on how much of the Kool-aid she's been drinking.
This is who I was saying I don't drink any kool-aid to.

I love kool-aid. Actually no, I like Crystal Light better. Less calories.

You should never be offended by me. I'm just a big fat dork (literally) on heavy doses of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds and in therapy three days a week because I spent 40 years following the Lord Jesus Christ. I don't say much in real life, but I have a bad case of diarrhea of the fingers.

Glad to have you joining our merry band of loonies! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM
(12-08-2012 06:41 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 11:27 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I also went to lunch with him one day to talk and the last thing he said to me before we went separate ways was "To tell you the truth, I am really more of an agnostic.".

Also, should I hide something like that from my wife if he is honest with me?

Yes tell her what he said, and yes, feel free to suggest a follow-up meeting if you're interested.

Keep in mind that many clergy are skilled manipulators. Don't allow his confiding (inappropriately) in you turn you into a co-conspirator.

Which part was inappropriate? I guess I missed that line?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
explain to me why so many people that I talk to that are now no believers are depressed and you can't tell me that its from all the years you were lied to, because is you believe it is all a lie shouldn't you feel liberated. I'm not picking on people with depression just ask my husband how depressed I was when my business was falling and my parents were getting a devorse.
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
(12-08-2012 08:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 06:41 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Keep in mind that many clergy are skilled manipulators. Don't allow his confiding (inappropriately) in you turn you into a co-conspirator.
Which part was inappropriate? I guess I missed that line?

Confused Yea, Jeff - pastor guy sounds ok. I think you're reading a lot of shit into the situation; you're sounding like a paranoid git.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
the church go to has an early service that my family does. It's more of a show and tell thing where we talk about our week. However god is not really involved. Also my gf is there so we joke around a lot (she is an atheist as well) about the believers.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
(12-08-2012 07:55 PM)pawprints1985 Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome to the marriage contract footprints. Your husband realizes that the promise of a postmortem preservation is completely untenable bullshit. You don't. Don't mean you can't make beautiful babies together. I did with ManlyGirl. Wink

You need proof that it does exest well I need proof that it doesn't.

Why? Seems backwards to me? I was willing to go to Church as an acknowledged atheist with my wife for forever, the potluck dinners were delicious and they didn't ostracize me, in fact I found them a little too fond of hugging for my taste, but what you are asking for is logically impossible.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
(12-08-2012 08:25 PM)pawprints1985 Wrote:  explain to me why so many people that I talk to that are now no believers are depressed and you can't tell me that its from all the years you were lied to, because is you believe it is all a lie shouldn't you feel liberated. I'm not picking on people with depression just ask my husband how depressed I was when my business was falling and my parents were getting a devorse.

I wouldn't say a lot are depressed offhand... but even if they were imagine this: if someone finds out you don't believe, religious people (generally) start to pray for you, ask how you could not possibly believe, start preaching to you, saying you're going to hell..... if a workplace finds out you may be fired, or setup to be fired if they can't outright fire you. Some places may deny you jobs just because you don't believe in a god.
And then there's the same old things that they hear over, and over, and over--things that have been debunked, or even said aren't true by religious people (sometimes even the fundamentalists). Or theists demand that they know everything about everything, otherwise they know nothing, therefore they are wrong (it's an argument some make).

Me I'm happy--shy of being treated like crap by a workplace, but then that applies to about 95% of the others there too, and almost all are religious.

Oh, I went searching for a simple video on youtube (many atheists have addressed this in video), here's a short thing:

Basically they say atheists are angry, but it goes along. When someone realizes what they "believe" and they know that with it they will be knocked down, riddiculed, beaten, denied rights, just because they don't believe in something that requires faith and no proof.... well some could get depressed from constantly having to lie to make sure no one finds out.
[+] 3 users Like elemts's post
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
The big question is, "Why do we freely choose to live a life based on lies?"
Every individual has a different reason. Some for social acceptance. Some for financial security. Some out of fear of facing reality. But, at the core emotional level we are driven by the survival instinct, including believing we have immortal souls.
The one common trait in all humans have, created through evolution, is that we fear social rejection because in the past it has meant certain death.
Religion is a social binding factor in all human societies that has survived up to today. Until people feel completely secure as individuals they will seek the group as a place of safety and survival.

So, Why do we live a life based on lies? For the same reason children fear the dark.
When you address the religious think of the child who fears the monster in the closet. How do you address a child's fear? Give them a "special magical blanket" that will protect them from the monster. Give them a special word to use to expel the monster. Give the adult holy water, the prayers, the church, the pastor who wears the special hat, the magic underwear, the cross around the neck on a chain. They all drive away the monsters in the darkness and protect then user.

The religious will say that it's much more than that. They have a special relationship with the god that protects them. That the atheist doesn't understand. Their god is real. Their god protects them from harm and eventually from death itself. Do not feel anger toward the religious just as you would not feel anger toward the child who fears sleeping in a room by themselves because of the monster in the closet. It is the same mind. One that is driven by fear of the unknown.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
12-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm an agnostic Christian, and I've never hidden that from anyone. In fact, I don't think anyone can be gnostic anything simply because no one is omniscient. Most Christians are probably agnostic Christians and just don't know it. I wouldn't read much into it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post