How many of you mute commercials while watching TV?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 03:15 PM
How many of you mute commercials while watching TV?
I know a lot of people who do (including myself, of course).

Most of the commercials are stupid, loud, talking at breakneck speed (to jam more in) which makes them sound hysterical, and some of them are quite nasty (like the “I won’t share even wit my kids” type) or dangerous, showing cars driving at insane speed in underground garages.

I bless the inventor of the mute button every time a commercial comes up. I also often avert my eyes, so I don’t even have to see the idiotic mind-control attempts.

Just curious how many on this forum feel the same?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: How many of you mute commercials while watching TV?
This is under philosophy?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't even own a TV Big Grin
But back when I did, I didn't mute ad, I went to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever and used the 5-10 minutes of commercial to do something. Having the sound on is useful in that case.

But I keep getting pissed off by all the advertisement they put in front and between videos online.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I detest most of whats on television......if I didnt own my xbox 360 I wouldnt have one.

I dont like what they have done on youtube with adverts, I know you can skip the vast majority of them but it Pisses me off when you cant. That reminds me im gonna install ghostery now and block all them damn things.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-02-2012, 04:52 PM
i'ts too bad magnavox's 'smart sound' technology is dead. what an amazing thing that i don't see anywhere anymore.
'smart sound' was built into old tv's in the 90s, it adjusted the volume automatically so you didn't have to turn broadcasting up or down during the loud/quiet parts

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
26-02-2012, 05:13 PM
(26-02-2012 04:52 PM)dredmal Wrote:  i'ts too bad magnavox's 'smart sound' technology is dead. what an amazing thing that i don't see anywhere anymore.
'smart sound' was built into old tv's in the 90s, it adjusted the volume automatically so you didn't have to turn broadcasting up or down during the loud/quiet parts

My TV has something similar and its only a few years old , although its called auto volume. Never felt the need to use it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
26-02-2012, 05:40 PM
What we really need is Hadden Enterprises to invent the "AdNix" chip.

I don't watch TV though. I gave up on that a long time ago. It's a waste of time waiting for ad breaks and filtering them out. Just download stuff p2p with ads cut out of it. If I couldn't download the stuff or was forced to pay for it I just wouldn't watch it. Simple decision for me.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
26-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't have a TV licence Sad

But when I'm visiting my parents or something, I leave them on to laugh at them.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
26-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I mute commercials a lot. Sometimes, though, I play "Spot the Lies". It is amazing how much bullshit is allowed in commercials even though there is supposed to be a "Truth in Advertising" code. ( http://www.adstandards.com/en/standards/...auses.aspx )

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-02-2012, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 09:33 PM by Anjele.)
I don't have control over the remote...I just ignore most of what's on TV anyway. Bose headphones, Ipod, laptop, Kindle...or just the sweet sound of noise cancellation for me thanks.

Actually, some of the commercials are much more entertaining when compared to the current selection of shows.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy