How many people here are scientists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 03:12 PM
RE: How many people here are scientists?
Degree in Chemistry here. I agree that skepticism would be heavily tilted towards the interest in the sciences.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 03:14 PM
If you read some of the way people debate here, you'd assume everyone has a degree in evolutionary biology and a side of particle physics in cosmology.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
03-02-2014, 03:20 PM
(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Logisch Wrote:  If you read some of the way people debate here, you'd assume everyone has a degree in evolutionary biology and a side of particle physics in cosmology.

I'm happy to see this, I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
03-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I am a quantum physicist.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
(03-02-2014 01:08 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  I wonder what percentage of people on this forum have a degree in physical science or have professional training in the field. I can scan some user names and some of them are science based. I just scanned down the page and saw a user named "Bucky Ball". I assume they've had some chemistry classes. Myself, I have a B.S. in geology and am currently working on an M.S. in Environmental Science. I'm just curious of whether being trained in science makes one more likely to lack a belief in a deity. I find no credible evidence for any supernatural being. What do you guys think? Does science education make a difference or not?

I aint no scientist.
Probably never will be, despite my aspirations. I'm a bad scientist, even at my current Highschool level; can't science at all for myself... (I do biology and 'general' scientific studies, just to say)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I've had 3 yrs of University level calculus, physics, astronomy.
Basic understanding of chemistry, biology, sociology and electrical circuit analysis at the University level.
I've had classes of logic, linear algebra and it's applications, probability and statistical inference, elementary geometry from an advanced standpoint, discrete mathematics and it's applications, as well as all the other fundamental classes needed to pad a degree in Math / Physics.

I am not a scientist. I don't run experiments or test simulations or try to figure out if the eating habits of fire ants are changed if the temperature drops 2 degrees from it's norm.

Critical thinking and an examination of what truly makes life tick will lead you to atheism, unless you've been so indoctrinated as a child that you can't let go of the ingrained fantasy.
And it's not that you'll become an atheist. It's that your lack of belief in any gods now makes you an atheist whether you realize it or not.

I don't sew quilts on the weekend, but whether I know it or not, I'm a part of that group of people who don't sew quilts on the weekend.

Having a curiosity about life and about science is what is important.
If your first questions about life are answered with religion then right off the bat, you are being lied to and your brain is learning to accept lies as truth, harmful acts as good, deceit as honesty and it will be difficult to ever get you to accept that they people in your life who have shown you love have also shown you a lie.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
03-02-2014, 05:39 PM
(03-02-2014 03:51 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It's that your lack of belief in any gods now makes you an atheist whether you realize it or not.

I don't sew quilts on the weekend, but whether I know it or not, I'm a part of that group of people who don't sew quilts on the weekend.

That is a fun insight! Thumbsup

I belong to the group who doesn't skydive! We get together never and discuss how the wind flows through our hair.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-02-2014, 05:54 PM
As a journalist, I strive for the truth, and I used those tools to arrive at my stance. At first I was going to offer up journalism as a profession that lends itself to atheism, but I don't think it forces the practitioner to investigate religion or "miracles" often enough to be thrust into atheism.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
(03-02-2014 01:08 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  I wonder what percentage of people on this forum have a degree in physical science or have professional training in the field. I can scan some user names and some of them are science based. I just scanned down the page and saw a user named "Bucky Ball". I assume they've had some chemistry classes. Myself, I have a B.S. in geology and am currently working on an M.S. in Environmental Science. I'm just curious of whether being trained in science makes one more likely to lack a belief in a deity. I find no credible evidence for any supernatural being. What do you guys think? Does science education make a difference or not?

Not sure i qualify as any kind of scientist, despite the fact that I am heavily involved with computers and the like.

I never really had any kind of belief in a deity. In fact, I was raised in a Catholic school in a tiny village that was 99% catholic. My teachers were nuns, and the priest was the principal.

Despite that religious environment, my parents were called to the school more times than I can recall due to my "apparent non belief."

I don't know. I laughed when they taught about Jesus walking on the water. I got kicked out of class in Grade 5 for laughing at some of the ridiculous bible stories, such as the talking snake in the Garden of Eden. We had garter snakes, and I knew none of them could talk so ...

I gave the church some hope for me once though. I was asked to read from the bible on the alter on Saturday evening when I was in Grade 7. I have a crystal clear voice, and not an eye in the church swayed from me when I spoke. However ... the very next school day I was sent to the principal's office again for "apparent non belief" and all the priest could do was shake his head and express his disappointment.

I just couldn't do it. I even tried. I read the bible so many times I lost count, and I still could not muster up enough of a lack of intelligence to believe such stupidity.

Science is reason. Reason is the realm I belong in.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I am a computer scientist (BSc, MSc, Phd). I'm becoming increasingly interested in Physics though, specifically non-equilibrium thermodynamic systems. I might go back and do another MSc one day when I have got out of debt and have some savings. I'd need to improve my Maths skills first though. I've done a couple of post-docs in the UK but have been working in industry since moving to Germany . I'm doing some research in my spare time so I can publish some papers to try and resuscitate my academic career. It's incredibly time consuming though.

It was only when doing my MSc though that I learned to think critically about superstitions and beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post