How many people here are scientists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: How many people here are scientists?
I'm not a scientist but I play one on the web Big Grin

I work with marine biologists and help them collect data. College graduate in non-scientific field.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I do not hold a science degree, and in fact, was terrible at science. However, my education, Humanities major, had everything to do with walking away from my belief in a creator.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
03-02-2014, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 06:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-02-2014 03:02 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I majored in Computer Science. Does that count? Tongue
(03-02-2014 03:06 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Computer Science!!! Haha.
(03-02-2014 06:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I am a computer scientist (BSc, MSc, Phd).

Comp Sci here also (BSCS, MSCS) and no RubberPants, we don't count. We are more like logic technicians. Don't bother me none 'cause the only thing that counts is my salary. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
(03-02-2014 01:08 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  I wonder what percentage of people on this forum have a degree in physical science or have professional training in the field. I can scan some user names and some of them are science based. I just scanned down the page and saw a user named "Bucky Ball". I assume they've had some chemistry classes. Myself, I have a B.S. in geology and am currently working on an M.S. in Environmental Science. I'm just curious of whether being trained in science makes one more likely to lack a belief in a deity. I find no credible evidence for any supernatural being. What do you guys think? Does science education make a difference or not?

I'm working towards a B.A. in Anthropology (almost finished); my focus is primate evolution and behavior. I would like to focus on the primate fossil record or paleoanthropology (bio and cultural anthro mix) in grad school. Although, I wouldn't mind doing something with primatology too so I can have a better sense of functional morphology and comparative behavior.

I think having a good science foundation is important to everyone. There is certainly a correlation between the level of one's education and the level of one's religiosity; the latter goes down as the former goes up. However, there are some prominent scientists, such as Ken Miller, who have reconciled the science with their religious beliefs. The obvious difference here is that these people let the science influence their religious views and not the other way around. It's the latter type that is a detriment to our children's' future because some of these assholes have control over the science and education budget.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-02-2014, 06:42 PM
B.Sc. Mathematics, M.S. Computer Science.

Plenty of undergrad science (physics, chemistry, genetics, psychology) and philosophy courses.

And I've maintained a life-long hobby of keeping up with the state of science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2014, 06:59 PM
If there are they should get back to work instead of dicking around on forums.
But I do have heaps of inane questions if there is a well rounded genius on board.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
03-02-2014, 07:46 PM
I have my degree in Anthropology, studied both Physical and Cultural Anthropology.

The Physical Anthropology side (otherwise know as Biological Anthropology) is essentially the study of human evolution, and origins. It's heavy in the study of human and primate biology, evolution, paleoanthropology, to lesser degrees geology, and chemistry in as they apply to understanding evolution.

The Cultural Anthropology side is less science heavy though still very much involves archaeology, and carying degrees of knowledge of geology and chemistry as they apply to archaeology.

03-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I wrote the book on math.

Literally. I write math textbooks.

Not as glamorous as is sounds.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
BS in Mechanical Engineering - not exactly science; more like applied science.

An interesting observation, though, is that there are a lot more theist engineers than scientists - at least among the ones that go to work in the energy industry. I think it may be because in studying engineering you don't have to ponder the how and why of the science if you don't want to; the natural laws work and here are the formulas that describe them - now go off and design stuff. Gravity works and I can design things based on it, but I don't have to ponder the hows and whys of relativity to do so. That's my thoughts on it anyway.
03-02-2014, 07:54 PM
As far as whether I think knowledge of science makes for less religious people, I'd have to agree, as most arguments I hear come from theist mouths would I doubt they would bother making if they just knew the smallest bit more of science. I think most must not have a clue how stupid they actually sound when they make their horribly nonsensical arguments. They don't know how much they don't know, so they have no idea just how much they really, REALLY don't know. Because how could they otherwise they would know it.

As for me personally, I think I've been attracted to sciences because that's just how my brain works. I never bought into religion, so it's a natural draw for me.

So I think it's a mix of the fact that science education can deconvert theist, and that naturally science minded people who are draw to science are not likely to by into theologies anyway.