How many people here are scientists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
RE: How many people here are scientists?
Currently working on my bachelors degree in computer science. (One and a half more years! YAY!!!) Will most likely continue with my masters! Science is something that has always fascinated me! As a child I wanted to be an archaeologist/anthropologist (Indiana Jones) and was constantly getting in trouble for digging holes in the back yard searching for buried relics. In HS I had a great chemistry teacher and wanted to be a chemical engineer. The house had to be evacuated a couple of times after my parents got me a chemistry set! I developed a passion for computers and physics in my late teens and early twenties and decided to go with computer sciences as my major. I will say that science is directly related to my atheism.

When I was a theist I suffered from severe depression trying to get the bible and scientific facts to mesh! I couldn't do it and be intellectually honest with myself and thus I finally embraced atheism. My depression is gone and I have never been happier!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 09:38 PM
(03-02-2014 02:42 PM)Noelani Wrote:  Francis Collins was director of the human genome project but also considers himself a strong Christian. So for him, even though he believes in evolution, he doesn't mind that the bible talks about an Adam and Eve as the first two humans. Or that the god of the bible sent a flood to kill off everyone, save for one family, just a mere 4,000 years ago.
Of course Collins doesn't believe in a literal Adam and Eve or Noah or apparently much of any of the historical claims. I find these kind of Christians more troubling than literalists. You can't argue with them because they constantly say, 'well of course I don't believe that', and you can never pin them down on their criteria for cherry picking. We hear it quoted all the time that 93 percent of the NAS do not believe in a personal (or is it any?) god, which I think answers the question.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
03-02-2014, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 10:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-02-2014 09:38 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  We hear it quoted all the time that 93 percent of the NAS do not believe in a personal (or is it any?) god, which I think answers the question.

It's the personal one. I work with many scientists who reify God by deifying Physics sorta like Spinoza started but with a lot more Physics and Math (the archangel Michael?) material to work with now. Not sure what you'd call them. Deist Materialists? Materialist Deists? Spinozaists? Physicists? Don't think I got much of a problem with them either way 'cause they're fucking brilliant scientists and I really couldn't give less of a shit about their metaphysics. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.