How many people you know are religious? What are general attitudes towards them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 05:43 AM
RE: How many people you know are religious? What are general attitudes towards them?
I'm from Pennsylvania as well. All of my family and friends except two is Christian. My son is atheist and another friend is agnostic. I'm happy that my family and friends still love me for who I am. The more I talk to the young adults that I meet most do not believe.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 06:38 AM
RE: How many people you know are religious? What are general attitudes towards them?
I know too many. But here's a basic rundown...

My best friend: Our nearly 20 year friendship has evolved around our company and video games, not religious bias.

My wife: We love each other, not our religious or non-religious affiliations.

My mother and sister: Completely opposite of the former 2, my mother refuses to acknowledge that I'm an atheist and tells people I'm a christian in a phase that just happens to have been occurring for over a decade, my sister as pretentious as she is does not really voice much opinion upon me really, but I should add in the fact....I only really see her on the holidays. My half-sister is also an atheist, but is not as active or aggressive as I am.

My grandfather: As much as he is religious he is also realistic in that he can not stand when his preacher yells and talks beyond 30 minutes. Every time I see him he says "That man he just never shuts up." He's a great man with an awesome sense of humor.

My aunts and cousins on my father's side: They are affiliated with Catholicism, the aunt in particular has never been fond of my aggressive criticism of the Catholic Church, nor was she ever fond of my criticism towards her as a parent when her young daughter ran away to her boyfriends house to get knocked up and her best response to the situation was "Did I not send you to Catholic school to avoid this?"

My aunts on my mother's side: Hypocritical and downright inexcusable stupidity is the best I can describe these 2 morons. I was not allowed to speak or sign my grandmother's memorial stationary because of them until my grandfather stepped in. My grandfather placed my words in my grandmother's bible for her.

If you want an estimate number of how many I know, tough. Because I have not a single atheist friend or family member beyond my half sister.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
16-04-2013, 07:16 AM
When I lived in Phoenix, everybody. Now that I live here, nobody. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 07:52 AM
RE:
(16-04-2013 05:02 AM)Molitro Wrote:  It's just not Interesting or necessary any more.
And I'm really glad about it.
Well said. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Here in Germany it's not much of an issue. As someone already stated above. I have a hand full of religious (christian and muslim) friends and we often discuss religion and philosophy. None of them has a problem with me being an atheist. I had friends for whom it was a problem though and my mom still hopes i will find the "gift of faith". But most people around me are agnostics and atheists or what I can only describe as spiritual.
Despite that I have an international friend list of FB, nobody has unfriended me on Facebook yet for posting scientific things, discussing on Eric Hovind's Facebook page or making atheist comments somewhere. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Joh's post
16-04-2013, 08:09 AM
(16-04-2013 06:38 AM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  My aunts and cousins on my father's side: They are affiliated with Catholicism, the aunt in particular has never been fond of my aggressive criticism of the Catholic Church, nor was she ever fond of my criticism towards her as a parent when her young daughter ran away to her boyfriends house to get knocked up and her best response to the situation was "Did I not send you to Catholic school to avoid this?"

The only time my mother really has a fit is if I criticize the pope or the catholic church, specifically. I said something about Ratzinger stepping down probably having to do with scandals, and she had a fit. It's established that there have been sex scandals, I'm not making baseless accusations here, and it's not like I even suggested he was a pedo. She just won't listen to anyone saying anything bad about the catholic church, even if it's true! This is a very catholic city I live in, there are some other denominations here but not as much. In my grandparents' day, it was all Irish and Polish catholic immigrants. I swear, some of these people think it's worse to say something against the vatican than it is to say something against jesus.

As for girls getting knocked up, it still surprises me when people think going to church is going to keep their daughters from getting knocked up. If they keep their kids out of sex ed, maybe that'll increase their chances of getting pregnant, but otherwise... Hate to bring this up again, but this town is so religious, in the 90s we didn't have many choices of doctors in town. The only one was super-christian and prayed for my fucking skin rashes! I wanted a Rx for steroid cream, not prayer! Then the PA there lectured me on the immorality of "premarital sex!" (Not the health risks or pregnancy, just that god only intended sex to be within marriage...) So yeah, to think they could get away with that kind of preachy shit in a doctor office...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 08:17 AM
(16-04-2013 05:19 AM)amyb Wrote:  I'm in the US (Pennsylvania) and most of the people around me are religious. Even the ones who aren't extremely religious still believe in the christian god and at least attend church on xmas and easter. Most married people I know got married in a church (a few did not, though). My dad was an atheist in his later years, my mom is more like semi-religious, gets upset if I say "goddamn," but doesn't really attend church. I have cousins and other relatives that are super-religious; they protest gay marriage, will only send their kids to xian colleges, don't believe in evolution. But thank no god, they live in the south and I don't see them much.

A lot of people I went to high school and college with (the ones I still talk to) have become atheists, if they weren't always, and I appreciate this fact when I run into people I went to school with who are not (the ones who are very religious and judgmental, I mean). I also know a fair amount of "spiritual, not religious" people and pagans.

To me, it just seems like the religious have noticed nonreligious trends and are resorting to fundamentalism as a reaction to that. I just hope it's the death throes of religion and doesn't actually mean people will become more insane and hateful in general. I keep reading about religious folks insulating themselves and their kids from outside opinions, and I think that the only reason outside opinions and points of view could be dangerous to them is if they know they are full of shit. I'm not afraid of outside points of view, because my worldview is based on evidence and reality, and will change with new information. Since theirs is not, they have to keep their kids away from normal people for fear of the kids learning that their parents' worldview is nonsense.

That being said, the general attitude toward them here is that it's "normal" to be a christian (very few non-christians here, a few Jewish people but not many). People always seem to assume every other person is a christian. It's shocking to many people when I mention that I'm an atheist, especially to older people (my mom has a 80-something year old friend, I was surprised to find out she's an atheist, though!).

I think you make a great point that in many areas (at least in the US) it is assumed that by Christians that the people around them are also Christian. It seems that many cannot fathom anyone believing other than they do.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-04-2013, 09:13 AM
I would say 95% of my friends are religious. I think I have two or three Atheist friends. But we don't discuss religion and I just shy away from discussions about it. Like on Facebook.

They kinda know I'm atheist...I don't hide it...but I'm careful about what I post on Facebook and what I say....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2013, 10:16 AM
How many people you know are religious? What are general attitudes towards them?
(16-04-2013 09:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I would say 95% of my friends are religious. I think I have two or three Atheist friends. But we don't discuss religion and I just shy away from discussions about it. Like on Facebook.

They kinda know I'm atheist...I don't hide it...but I'm careful about what I post on Facebook and what I say....

I am more than careful on FB because about 90% of my FB friends are extended family. I avoid the issue completely and never say a word one way or the other. I don't need added stress in my life right now.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
17-04-2013, 03:39 AM
I have one friend who is more religious than the rest but he keeps it to himself unless asked about it.
I have another who is a catholic but rarely goes to church. Another who is more aligned with Odin than any other kind of god.
Another is agnostic and lastly one who seems to have no skeptical bones in his body. He believes in every "unexplainable" thing out there.

Family is fairly unreligious, but at their core have a belief in god or a higher power or are simply agnostic.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results