How many slaves do you have working for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 12:56 PM
How many slaves do you have working for you?
Check out slaveryfootprint.org ok?
You may be surprised by your answer.

I have 52 slaves working for me... SWEET!

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: How many slaves do you have working for you?
"Website is unavailable"

Slaves must be on break.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I bought somebody off the boat from the Congo this morning.
09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I got 17.

Lucky they didn't want an answer to the last question.... but how is it slavery if I pay them?

Consider

09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
It isn't.

Maybe there is some truth to the site, but it looks like all hype to me. A bunch of generalization and claims but no supporting evidence for any of it. Even if it is true, that doesn't make you or me the slave owners. It doesn't even make us complicit or condoning - for that, we'd have to know, or at least be fairly certain, that all these claims are true. Me, I'm quite the opposite. I'll need more convincing before I even take their survey (strikes me as more of a virus delivery platform than a legitimate informative site).

Without knowledge, in fact, with evidence seeming to support the opposite claim, we have no complicity in this alleged slavery even in the unlikely even that it's real.

As long as you're paying legitimate businesses to provide legitimate goods made through legitimate labor, you're not taking part in slavery, even if some of the companies from whom you make purchases really are employing (wrong word?) slave labor.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM
(09-01-2013 09:56 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  It isn't.

Maybe there is some truth to the site, but it looks like all hype to me. A bunch of generalization and claims but no supporting evidence for any of it. Even if it is true, that doesn't make you or me the slave owners. It doesn't even make us complicit or condoning - for that, we'd have to know, or at least be fairly certain, that all these claims are true. Me, I'm quite the opposite. I'll need more convincing before I even take their survey (strikes me as more of a virus delivery platform than a legitimate informative site).

Without knowledge, in fact, with evidence seeming to support the opposite claim, we have no complicity in this alleged slavery even in the unlikely even that it's real.

As long as you're paying legitimate businesses to provide legitimate goods made through legitimate labor, you're not taking part in slavery, even if some of the companies from whom you make purchases really are employing (wrong word?) slave labor.
Slavery does exist not doubt about it.
Mostly in Africa and I believe a few places in India and other places around south Asia?? (Don't quote me on that).
The number of 'slaves' is surprisingly high too.

Most of it I believe is cases of people selling their children into slavery, and then the children have to work on extremely low amount of money to "buy their freedom" but because the money they earn is so little and they get charged for rent and stuff they never escape it.

A couple I can remember off the top of my head is there's some major fishing thing, using children on a lake to catch fish. One in a desert somewhere moving and laying hand made bricks. And one in India??? dying clothing.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-01-2013, 10:09 PM
OK, I wasn't trying to say there is no such thing as slavery. Just that the linked site seems to be saying that we're utilizing slave labor every time we buy a pair of shoes or a hamburger. I'm pretty sure it's not that rampant. I'm pretty sure most companies, even in impoverished countries, aren't using "slaves". The few that do are not advertising it - I don't know who, you don't know who, and that website doesn't know who, other than a rare one (they're all rare so these are extra rare) that gets caught and makes the news.

And if we unwittingly buy something from a sneaky deceitful company that is using slaves without our knowledge, that doesn't make us slavers.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
09-01-2013, 10:10 PM
In any case, I doubt that website has any crystal ball to find the evil slavery companies. It's just conspiracy theory and rumor mongering and shouting that the sky is falling without making any real effort to do anything about it. Which means that site is useless for anything except making people feel an excessive amount of guilt and shame over something that is, globally, a really minor issue.

I'm not minimizing the plight of anyone suffering under this kind of abuse, I'm just saying that on the global scale, the quantity of it is relatively minor while the amount of angst this site is trying to stir up is disproportionately large.

09-01-2013, 10:14 PM
(09-01-2013 09:56 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  It isn't.

Yup, that's about right I reckon.

The wider question is about responsibility and accountability.

Generally though, things don't change unless awareness is raised so no problem with that. The danger, though, is hyperbole... people will switch off to that.

If the definition of 'slave owner' is having people who work directly for you without pay... I have only two. I'm thinking of getting more.

Drinking Beverage

10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Seven. But they're willing.

I didn't click on the link, though. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post