How many times have you read the bible.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2012 12:49 PM by Xinoftruden.)
How many times have you read the bible.
There are as many versions of the bible as there are believers. It's interesting to see how it can vary from book to book. One of the first books Iever read was a version of the bible directed at children. It went over all of the stories in the bible icluding all of the slaughters. It made it very easy to see what the bible actually is. The seriousness was completely taken out and the book turned froma holy book to an fantasy story following a tribe across their world.

In total I have read over 20 different translations of the ible and am looking for more. I have also read 15 bibles that were directed at children. Call me crazy, but I find it enjoyable.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
13-06-2012, 12:40 PM
RE: How many times have you read the bible.
What is it that you enjoy about reading the Bible? Why do you think you're able to read it so many times and still desire to read it more?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-06-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2012 12:52 PM by Xinoftruden.)
(13-06-2012 12:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What is it that you enjoy about reading the Bible? Why do you think you're able to read it so many times and still desire to read it more?

The reason I read the bible is the reason I read when I was 5 (yes I was 5). It seemed like a really good story. I did not actually make the connection between my storybook and the boble until I was 8. Yes I am that oblivious. So the idea of the bible being a story stuck. Now with all the different translations and corrections beign made to the bible I like seeing how the people who believe in this perceive their holy book.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

13-06-2012, 12:48 PM
3 times cover to cover, different versions. 6 times if I count when I skipped boring parts in 3 other versions.

I'm done now. Now I'm a cherry picker for the bizarre parts.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
13-06-2012, 01:00 PM
(13-06-2012 12:34 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  In total I have read over 20 different translations of the ible and am looking for more. I have also read 15 bibles that were directed at children. Call me crazy, but I find it enjoyable.

Well, I'd prefer a little more scientific terminology like bat-shit-crazy but uh... yea, wherever you go, there you are. Thumbsup

I only sometimes enjoy reading bible crap... but I also have a large collection of documented Nazi propaganda that gets my freak on, so ... to each his own, I s'pose.

You certainly seem to have the makings of a book about propaganda directed toward children - the research for that would be fascinating! Moreover, it would be extremely interesting to see how 20 different translations of a premise or idea is allowed to bend and be shaped. Have you mapped out any of the differences in these or condensed any of the material into an outline of sorts? Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
13-06-2012, 01:22 PM
(13-06-2012 01:00 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 12:34 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  In total I have read over 20 different translations of the ible and am looking for more. I have also read 15 bibles that were directed at children. Call me crazy, but I find it enjoyable.

Well, I'd prefer a little more scientific terminology like bat-shit-crazy but uh... yea, wherever you go, there you are. Thumbsup

I only sometimes enjoy reading bible crap... but I also have a large collection of documented Nazi propaganda that gets my freak on, so ... to each his own, I s'pose.

You certainly seem to have the makings of a book about propaganda directed toward children - the research for that would be fascinating! Moreover, it would be extremely interesting to see how 20 different translations of a premise or idea is allowed to bend and be shaped. Have you mapped out any of the differences in these or condensed any of the material into an outline of sorts? Smile

I have an old school report somewhere I'll see if I can find it. Mainly what I do after I have found a few differences is point them out to my eldest brother (atheist) and my dad (degree in theology) and we try to find reasons for why that translation says that.

[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
13-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I've only read the KJV cover to cover once. I have read parts of that and other versions a few times. I have so much I want to read and I find this a long slog so I am unlikely to read it or another version cover to cover again.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Many times through.

I've also read several different translations; however, now, I almost exclusively use the NASB, Young's Literal, and Darby's.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
13-06-2012, 01:34 PM
(13-06-2012 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Many times through.

I've also read several different translations; however, now, I almost exclusively use the NASB, Young's Literal, and Darby's.

NASB?

Not
A
Single
Braincell
Tongue

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-06-2012, 02:02 PM
A few times...

It's weird though. It never sticks in my mind.