How many times have you read the bible.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 02:11 PM
RE: How many times have you read the bible.
(13-06-2012 01:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Many times through.

I've also read several different translations; however, now, I almost exclusively use the NASB, Young's Literal, and Darby's.

NASB?

Not
A
Single
Braincell
Tongue
Why are you allowed to be snarky to KC but if I do it I have half the forum calling me a meanie for picking on our forum mascot. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-06-2012, 02:20 PM
(13-06-2012 02:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 01:34 PM)kim Wrote:  NASB?

Not
A
Single
Braincell
Tongue
Why are you allowed to be snarky to KC but if I do it I have half the forum calling me a meanie for picking on our forum mascot. Dodgy

She's a she.

Women can get away with anything.

This is something I've learned in my travels.

That'll be $5.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
13-06-2012, 02:24 PM
(13-06-2012 02:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why are you allowed to be snarky to KC but if I do it I have half the forum calling me a meanie for picking on our forum mascot. Dodgy
She does it with love Mr Erx.

And who said can't have a double standard anyway. Since Atheists with a capital A have no rules Big Grin Chicks get bonus points, at least from me Tongue
13-06-2012, 02:44 PM
(13-06-2012 02:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Women can get away with anything.

You sure you want to walk into that one? Seriously?
ok... can't say this won't sting...

Words from one who is lead by something other than a brain.

+++++++++********************+++++++++++**********Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-06-2012, 03:08 PM
(13-06-2012 02:44 PM)kim Wrote:  Words from one who is lead by something other than a brain.
How dare you! KC is a very upright citizen.

Hee hee Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-06-2012, 03:21 PM
once during a summer of hell in bible classes. It was the turning point for me in walking away from religion.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
14-06-2012, 04:56 AM
When I was a kid in a short lived series of conformation classes, I read a bunch of the bible but never cover to cover.. It wasn't just verse here and verse there either.

I started reading the bible fully a year ago, but I kept just closing it and halting my reading in shock or laughter so many times I've put that mission on hiatus. Some parts I read in multiple translations online to go over what it said but mainly a NIV or King James version to admire the fancy language arts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I couldn't tell you how many times I have read it. My church growing up had a tentative schedule that set you up to read a bit of the Bible each day and you will have read it all by the end of the year. I did this from the time I was 5 or 6 until I was about 19. In addition I had read many specific books of the bible several times when looking for material to teach and preach on. But ever since probably 20, I have not read through a whole book in the Bible. And nowadays, I only use the Bible to look up scriptures when debating with Christians. I have a computer program which has about 60 versions of the Bible. The people who know less of what they are talking about tend to read the newer versions. The popular "new-ish" one is the New American Standard. It essentialy translate everything to a more modern day lingo.

I find most Christians who actually know things from their Bible utilize the King James and New King James. I liked to use the King James because historically speaking, its the closest thing we have in English to being written in how they spoke back then.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
14-06-2012, 02:26 PM
(14-06-2012 02:13 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  I couldn't tell you how many times I have read it. My church growing up had a tentative schedule that set you up to read a bit of the Bible each day and you will have read it all by the end of the year. I did this from the time I was 5 or 6 until I was about 19. In addition I had read many specific books of the bible several times when looking for material to teach and preach on. But ever since probably 20, I have not read through a whole book in the Bible. And nowadays, I only use the Bible to look up scriptures when debating with Christians. I have a computer program which has about 60 versions of the Bible. The people who know less of what they are talking about tend to read the newer versions. The popular "new-ish" one is the New American Standard. It essentialy translate everything to a more modern day lingo.

I find most Christians who actually know things from their Bible utilize the King James and New King James. I liked to use the King James because historically speaking, its the closest thing we have in English to being written in how they spoke back then.

Been in a long hub-bub about this with ST Ranger.

As far as accuracy goes, the NASB is the most accurate modern translation. It is literally translated from the Greek and Hebrew and only changes English grammar. There is one degree of separation.

The KJV is literally translated from the Greek, Hebrew, and the Vulgate into Old English. Depending on the reader there are 2 to 3 degrees of separation.

The NKJV is simply translated from the KJV into modern English. There are 3 degrees of separation.

The most accurate translations are Young's Literal and Darby's. They translate absolutely in the most literal sense the Greek and Hebrew to English. Darby rearranges sentence structure to make for easier reading; Young's Literal does not. Young's Literal is incredibly rigid and hard to read; but literal, nonetheless.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-06-2012, 12:33 PM
(14-06-2012 02:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Been in a long hub-bub about this with ST Ranger.

As far as accuracy goes, the NASB is the most accurate modern translation. It is literally translated from the Greek and Hebrew and only changes English grammar. There is one degree of separation.

The KJV is literally translated from the Greek, Hebrew, and the Vulgate into Old English. Depending on the reader there are 2 to 3 degrees of separation.

The NKJV is simply translated from the KJV into modern English. There are 3 degrees of separation.

The most accurate translations are Young's Literal and Darby's. They translate absolutely in the most literal sense the Greek and Hebrew to English. Darby rearranges sentence structure to make for easier reading; Young's Literal does not. Young's Literal is incredibly rigid and hard to read; but literal, nonetheless.

I have been unaware of Young and Darby. If that is the case then they might be the best source to go for. But as Christianity usually leans toward traditionalism, I can't see many individuals moving past what they are used to reading.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.