Poll: How many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 were you a theist??
I am still a theist
I've gone back and forth, but still theist
0 (been atheist since 10)
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many years of theism did you endure.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
29-07-2014, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 02:50 PM by Adrianime.)
How many years of theism did you endure.
Dear fellow atheists,

How many years were you stuck in theism AFTER THE AGE OF 10?

10 is somewhat arbitrary, but the idea is to throw out those years when you are first learning about the world and probably just doing whatever your parents told you.

EDIT: believing in god(s) and actually acting religious (worship, rules, church, blah) are separate. You lose your theism when you stop positively believing that god(s) exist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 11:20 AM
RE: How many years of theism did you endure.
If you went back and forth but ended up atheist, you can add up your years Thumbsup.

29-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Well it depends. I was only hardcore 100% total fanatic theist from the age of 20-26. But before that I wrote prayers on paper to God from time to time and prayed but lived an immoral life and didn't have strong loyalties to Theism and no denomination.
29-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I should have voted 16-20, but I didn't catch the "after 10" clause before I voted 21 - 30. Up until my early 20s, my religious beliefs were largely because it was what I was told as a kid. After that point, it was a combination of what I was told as a kid combined with a lot of self deception on my part to maintain the belief.
29-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I was a true believer for about 9 years; from 6th grade to my second year of college. I went to a private Lutheran university and I left after two years. I started questioning and doubting in my sophomore year, and the summer after I finished was when I truly lost my faith.

In high school I developed more of a "feel good" idea of God. I was more focused on Jesus being my friend and him loving everybody no matter what. I was raised in a pretty liberal household so my social views actually contrasted most of the ones at my school (it too was a private Lutheran school), but I still had total faith in God.

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" --Ellen Ripley
[+] 2 users Like miranda_face's post
29-07-2014, 01:06 PM
I never became a theist because my family was never religious so I've been an atheist my whole life.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
29-07-2014, 01:28 PM
3. The last two I was pretty disengaged from it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-07-2014, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 02:28 PM by pablo.)
I was lucky, I was never forced by my parents to go to church. I asked to go a few times when I was young and I didn't like it.
I guess I just went along with the crowd and identified as a christian until I got older and shit-canned the whole concept.

ETA: I voted a big fat 0.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-07-2014, 01:54 PM
(29-07-2014 11:41 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Well it depends. I was only hardcore 100% total fanatic theist from the age of 20-26. But before that I wrote prayers on paper to God from time to time and prayed but lived an immoral life and didn't have strong loyalties to Theism and no denomination.
Just talking about belief here, not actions. Where theism = belief in the existence of at least one deity.

(29-07-2014 12:05 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I should have voted 16-20, but I didn't catch the "after 10" clause before I voted 21 - 30. Up until my early 20s, my religious beliefs were largely because it was what I was told as a kid. After that point, it was a combination of what I was told as a kid combined with a lot of self deception on my part to maintain the belief.
Aw man, I hope others don't make the same mistake.

29-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Ah, after 10! Good thing my tablet doesn't want me to vote or else I'd miss-vote. Well, it was about a year after my 21st birthday. I remember because I was still a good Mormon girl and tried to make mocktails for my little group of friends but the blender lid didn't seal right so smoothie and sprite scattered everywhere! Shows me for not putting alcohol in a mix drink thing, I guess. Around 22 was when I was realizing the church I grew up in wasn't like what I thought it was then eventually religion and god himself didn't make sense to me. So around 22 I completely stopped going to church (except for Christmas because family tradition and a few times in the summer to see old friends but mostly laughed at Sacrament meeting in my head). So 12 years? Maybe 14 if I go by me not going to church at all?

[Image: notagain.gif]