Poll: How many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 were you a theist??
I am still a theist
I've gone back and forth, but still theist
0 (been atheist since 10)
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many years of theism did you endure.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
29-07-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: How many years of theism did you endure.
(29-07-2014 02:18 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Ah, after 10! Good thing my tablet doesn't want me to vote or else I'd miss-vote. Well, it was about a year after my 21st birthday. I remember because I was still a good Mormon girl and tried to make mocktails for my little group of friends but the blender lid didn't seal right so smoothie and sprite scattered everywhere! Shows me for not putting alcohol in a mix drink thing, I guess. Around 22 was when I was realizing the church I grew up in wasn't like what I thought it was then eventually religion and god himself didn't make sense to me. So around 22 I completely stopped going to church (except for Christmas because family tradition and a few times in the summer to see old friends but mostly laughed at Sacrament meeting in my head). So 12 years? Maybe 14 if I go by me not going to church at all?
When did you stop holding the belief in the existence of god as true?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 02:39 PM
How many years of theism?

All of them.

One does not have to be a member of it to be enduring it. Dodgy

And none of them.

Indeed, age 10 was roughly the time when I decided it was all bollocks. But it was later in life when I realised that it wasn't just a CofE-style harmless hobby.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
29-07-2014, 02:41 PM
About 11 years after age 10 for me. I was only technically a Catholic up to about age 16 - truly believing, but not caring much about it in between the boring Sunday masses. I really got serious about it between ages 16 and 21 and spent a lot of time reading, learning, praying, going to church (even daily for awhile), visiting religious shrines, and driving some of my friends crazy with some things that they found to be complete nonsense (in retrospect, I should have listened more to them). My faith disappeared rather suddenly when I was 21, but it took me a few months to accept it and then another few years to get over all forms of woo.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-07-2014, 02:43 PM
(29-07-2014 02:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 02:18 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Ah, after 10! Good thing my tablet doesn't want me to vote or else I'd miss-vote. Well, it was about a year after my 21st birthday. I remember because I was still a good Mormon girl and tried to make mocktails for my little group of friends but the blender lid didn't seal right so smoothie and sprite scattered everywhere! Shows me for not putting alcohol in a mix drink thing, I guess. Around 22 was when I was realizing the church I grew up in wasn't like what I thought it was then eventually religion and god himself didn't make sense to me. So around 22 I completely stopped going to church (except for Christmas because family tradition and a few times in the summer to see old friends but mostly laughed at Sacrament meeting in my head). So 12 years? Maybe 14 if I go by me not going to church at all?
When did you stop holding the belief in the existence of god as true?

I think I officially let myself realize that I stopped believing closer to being 23. I guess then I fall into the 11-15 year slot! Yay, knowing is half the battle! Or,erm, knowing allows me to vote more accurately Big Grin

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
29-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm another big fat Zero years. I feel so inadequate.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
29-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I really like the voter turnout here. Let's get 100 people in on this!

A surprisingly high number of people have been atheist since 10 (or earlier). I actually expected this to be our smallest category.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-07-2014, 10:04 AM
(29-07-2014 01:54 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 12:05 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I should have voted 16-20, but I didn't catch the "after 10" clause before I voted 21 - 30. Up until my early 20s, my religious beliefs were largely because it was what I was told as a kid. After that point, it was a combination of what I was told as a kid combined with a lot of self deception on my part to maintain the belief.
Aw man, I hope others don't make the same mistake.

It's the way the forums handle polls. The page will show the thread title, then the poll, then your post. So, I see answers to the question in the title right in the poll, so I answer before scrolling down. I suppose you could modify the thread title to help fix that.
30-07-2014, 10:13 AM
About two. Maybe three.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
30-07-2014, 11:14 AM
(29-07-2014 04:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  A surprisingly high number of people have been atheist since 10 (or earlier). I actually expected this to be our smallest category.

Really? It's about half and half right now between former believers and lifelong atheists.

That's not too far off from what I'd expect - that a majority (but only a small one) of atheists are former believers. So with only a couple dozen responses, that's a reasonable set of responses.

... this is my signature!
30-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Hard to really answer. I stopped attending church just recently (I am 43) for family piece issues. I stopped believing a few years ago. I stopped agreeing with the position of the church years before that. My wife is very catholic so I still have to put up with lots of church stuff.