Poll: How many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 were you a theist??
I am still a theist
I've gone back and forth, but still theist
0 (been atheist since 10)
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many years of theism did you endure.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
30-07-2014, 12:22 PM
RE: How many years of theism did you endure.
(30-07-2014 11:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 04:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  A surprisingly high number of people have been atheist since 10 (or earlier). I actually expected this to be our smallest category.

Really? It's about half and half right now between former believers and lifelong atheists.

That's not too far off from what I'd expect - that a majority (but only a small one) of atheists are former believers. So with only a couple dozen responses, that's a reasonable set of responses.
It's very interesting. These would have been my predictions:

1. Lifelong atheists may be less inclined to join online communities than former believers.

2. Since the majority of the world is religious, I thought indoctrination would have done its part to most of you and would not have been overcome until late teens or early 20s for most.

It'll be interesting seeing how the data spreads out. Hopefully we get tons of votes.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2014, 12:26 PM
(30-07-2014 12:03 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Hard to really answer. I stopped attending church just recently (I am 43) for family piece issues. I stopped believing a few years ago. I stopped agreeing with the position of the church years before that. My wife is very catholic so I still have to put up with lots of church stuff.
If you stopped believing a few years ago, I'd go for whenever that was, regardless of if you are still dealing with churches.

30-07-2014, 12:28 PM
(30-07-2014 12:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 12:03 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Hard to really answer. I stopped attending church just recently (I am 43) for family piece issues. I stopped believing a few years ago. I stopped agreeing with the position of the church years before that. My wife is very catholic so I still have to put up with lots of church stuff.
If you stopped believing a few years ago, I'd go for whenever that was, regardless of if you are still dealing with churches.
So sometime in my 30's puts me in the 21-30 year group.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
31-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Nice, 33 votes! Looks like the large majority were skeptics (likely) by age 15.

01-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Newbies, put in your numbers Dodgy

01-02-2016, 10:41 AM
From communion (2nd grade) to confirmation (8th grade?). By first communion, I was already done with religion... but family asked that I attend religious instruction classes anyway. It was a hoot, as I questioned virtually every assertion they uttered lol They kicked me out many times. Finally my parents said "complete this with no more incidents and we'll get you that 10 speed bicycle you want". So I did. It's amazing how easy it is to buy off the Lord Smile
01-02-2016, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 10:50 AM by jennybee.)
Mine was kind of a lengthy process: Irish Catholic (praying on rosary beads and to saints) to more Spiritual (borderline Wiccan--my godmother is Wiccan--yes, my conservative Catholic mother chose someone not of our faith and who called herself a witch to be one of my godparents--loooooong story Tongue) to hardcore Jesus freak level Christian to Liberal Christian to Agnostic to Atheist.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
01-02-2016, 10:50 AM
For those voting please realize the poll is not asking what age you were when you deconverted, but how many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 you remained a theist
Thumbsup

01-02-2016, 10:55 AM
(01-02-2016 10:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  For those voting please realize the poll is not asking what age you were when you deconverted, but how many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 you remained a theist
Thumbsup

Yabut, I was an atheist from before age 10. I should get a negative number. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
01-02-2016, 12:11 PM
I dislike how you worded this. Why doesn't before the age of ten count? Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]