Poll: How many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 were you a theist??
I am still a theist
I've gone back and forth, but still theist
0 (been atheist since 10)
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many years of theism did you endure.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-02-2016, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 12:20 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: How many years of theism did you endure.
(01-02-2016 12:11 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I dislike how you worded this. Why doesn't before the age of ten count? Sad
Haha, well I can't recall what I was thinking when I created this. But I probably thought that I didn't really care if people went back and forth between believing while being a young child. Basically before they could think critically.

Edit: Looks like I had my reason in the OP.

(29-07-2014 10:48 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Dear fellow atheists,

How many years were you stuck in theism AFTER THE AGE OF 10?

10 is somewhat arbitrary, but the idea is to throw out those years when you are first learning about the world and probably just doing whatever your parents told you.

EDIT: believing in god(s) and actually acting religious (worship, rules, church, blah) are separate. You lose your theism when you stop positively believing that god(s) exist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Just to be clear. At the age of 34 I'm still not sure I'm able to think critically. (T_T)
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
01-02-2016, 12:21 PM
(01-02-2016 12:16 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 12:11 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I dislike how you worded this. Why doesn't before the age of ten count? Sad
Haha, well I can't recall what I was thinking when I created this. But I probably thought that I didn't really care if people went back and forth between believing while being a young child. Basically before they could think critically.

Excuse me, who are you to tell me I couldn't think critically before the age of ten? That's a big load of bullshit. There are plenty of people who are critical thinkers as children. Maybe you should not judge others by your own inabilities.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-02-2016, 12:26 PM
(01-02-2016 12:21 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 12:16 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, well I can't recall what I was thinking when I created this. But I probably thought that I didn't really care if people went back and forth between believing while being a young child. Basically before they could think critically.

Excuse me, who are you to tell me I couldn't think critically before the age of ten? That's a big load of bullshit. There are plenty of people who are critical thinkers as children. Maybe you should not judge others by your own inabilities.
Haha,that was a little unnecessarily hostile. First, for the record, I've never believed in any deity.

Second, that's from observation and numbers I've seen from browsing child development information (which most seem to point to after 10).

01-02-2016, 12:30 PM
(01-02-2016 12:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 12:21 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Excuse me, who are you to tell me I couldn't think critically before the age of ten? That's a big load of bullshit. There are plenty of people who are critical thinkers as children. Maybe you should not judge others by your own inabilities.
Haha,that was a little unnecessarily hostile. First, for the record, I've never believed in any deity.

Second, that's from observation and numbers I've seen from browsing child development information (which most seem to point to after 10).

Well, since I've have 180hrs with of child development classes and years of teaching in the field, I'll stick with the evidence and not what someone browsed on the internet.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
01-02-2016, 12:35 PM
(01-02-2016 12:30 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 12:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha,that was a little unnecessarily hostile. First, for the record, I've never believed in any deity.

Well, since I've have 180hrs with of child development classes and years of teaching in the field, I'll stick with the evidence and not what someone browsed on the internet.
That's nice. I'm not claiming to be doing a scientific study. I could (probably) go find studies that describe the age of critical thinking, but frankly it would be a waste of time, and not the point of this thread.

Edit: And I could be misinformed, I'm not ruling that out.

01-02-2016, 12:36 PM
I think children can think critically--but I also think it is easier for children to be deceived by adults who tell them that a magical sky god is watching their every move. Adults typically are more worldly than children and have had more exposure to other ways of thinking, which can help significantly in shaping one's world view. If children are brainwashed at a young age by religion, it is much harder to undo that than it would be for an adult coming to religion later in life, imo. This is the prime reason churches like to get 'em when they're young, again imo.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I would say that by age 10 I already had serious doubts about whether or not it was all real. I still thought Jesus was a good shit, and liked a lot of what he had to say (still do) but I was already doubting more than believing that he was ever a real flesh and blood person and was already almost totally convinced that he wasn't divine and that there probably wasn't anything divine at all.
01-02-2016, 01:03 PM
The "age of critical thinking" has a lot to do with the degree of indoctrination, I think. I was pretty smart as a child (at the top of my class all the way through school), but I was also brought up in a very strict Catholic household, and heavily indoctrinated. I had some questions before I was 10, but no serious doubts until well after that. I was close to 20 before I dared call myself an atheist, and it took another 35 years after that before I dared to tell my parents. The fear of Hell that gets drummed into young Catholics is a hard thing to overcome.

ETA: Also peer pressure. When every adult authority figure in your life, as well as all your friends and classmates, are all "believers", it takes a lot of courage to (a) have doubts, and (b) admit them to anyone.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
You should simply have a 0 to present day category. That would be me.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.