Poll: How many years AFTER THE AGE OF 10 were you a theist??
I am still a theist
I've gone back and forth, but still theist
0 (been atheist since 10)
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How many years of theism did you endure.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-02-2016, 10:36 AM
RE: How many years of theism did you endure.
(02-02-2016 09:43 AM)enochian Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with polytheism.

You mean other than the complete lack of evidence?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
02-02-2016, 11:46 AM

The problems come with having a Creator.
While your comment is coming completely out of nowhere (are you arguing with yourself?), I agree that polytheism is not "worse/crazier" than monotheism. But both suffer from the same problems. Fantastic claims that go against modern knowledge and no evidence to back those claims up. Whether your deities are creators or not, a magical claim is still a magical claim.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-02-2016, 11:51 AM
(02-02-2016 11:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  

The problems come with having a Creator.
While your comment is coming completely out of nowhere (are you arguing with yourself?), I agree that polytheism is not "worse/crazier" than monotheism. But both suffer from the same problems. Fantastic claims that go against modern knowledge and no evidence to back those claims up. Whether your deities are creators or not, a magical claim is still a magical claim.

It's worse than that, actually. A strictly deistic creator claim is always inherently unfalsifiable and fundamentally meaningless as a consequence - whereas claims of theistic or polytheistic beings necessitate intervention in order to not be equally meaningless, and that is always falsifiable.
(and, you know... falsified by literally every scientific observation ever made)

02-02-2016, 11:57 AM
(02-02-2016 11:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  While your comment is coming completely out of nowhere (are you arguing with yourself?), I agree that polytheism is not "worse/crazier" than monotheism. But both suffer from the same problems. Fantastic claims that go against modern knowledge and no evidence to back those claims up. Whether your deities are creators or not, a magical claim is still a magical claim.

It's worse than that, actually. A strictly deistic creator claim is always inherently unfalsifiable and fundamentally meaningless as a consequence - whereas claims of theistic or polytheistic beings necessitate intervention in order to not be equally meaningless, and that is always falsifiable.
(and, you know... falsified by literally every scientific observation ever made)
Could you clarify the bold sentence above (what is worse than what?) please? Other than that I agree with what you said Smile.

02-02-2016, 12:02 PM
(02-02-2016 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It's worse than that, actually. A strictly deistic creator claim is always inherently unfalsifiable and fundamentally meaningless as a consequence - whereas claims of theistic or polytheistic beings necessitate intervention in order to not be equally meaningless, and that is always falsifiable.
Could you clarify the bold sentence above (what is worse than what?) please? Other than that I agree with what you said Smile.

I meant that the problem of attesting religious claims (as in, the failure of the religious to do so) is worse when we're ruling out creation - because then we need a real case of divine intervention to even get to the point of making the claim in the first place, if we're trying to be coherent.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-02-2016, 12:14 PM
(02-02-2016 12:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Could you clarify the bold sentence above (what is worse than what?) please? Other than that I agree with what you said Smile.

I meant that the problem of attesting religious claims (as in, the failure of the religious to do so) is worse when we're ruling out creation - because then we need a real case of divine intervention to even get to the point of making the claim in the first place, if we're trying to be coherent.
Ohh, gotcha Thumbsup. Good point.

02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
id say 0. my grandparents forced and bribed me to go to church as a kid but i never really believed the bullshit.
02-02-2016, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 12:52 PM by enochian.)
A Creator is more ridiculous than a bunch of non-creator deities.

A Creator makes no sense.
02-02-2016, 12:48 PM
(02-02-2016 12:46 PM)enochian Wrote:  A Creator is more ridiculous than a bunch of non-creator deities.
Are you saying that since the amount of magic that would be necessary to facilitate creation is so huge, that to claim a being can be a creator is ridiculous? What types of magic do your gods do?

02-02-2016, 12:51 PM
(02-02-2016 12:48 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Are you saying that since the amount of magic that would be necessary to facilitate creation is so huge, that to claim a being can be a creator is ridiculous?

Something like that.
[+] 1 user Likes enochian's post