How may things should you have n your life.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2018, 11:24 AM
RE: How may things should you have n your life.?
Periodically I make a list of things, things I want to do, should do, need to do, must do.

I glance at it in the morning - I have it by the coffee machine. Then I pick what to do that day - balancing what I want and what I must do.

After a while, some things are done, and some things just become irrelevant and drop off the list.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
17-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Just enough.
17-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Totally depends on how organized you are, and how disciplined you are.
If you're neither getting out of bed might be a challenge.
If you're very, many things can work.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
17-02-2018, 10:44 PM
(17-02-2018 11:04 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  that's the problem I work on none of them most of the time. It's annoying because I want them all done.

I've had that; I think it means that there are too many top-level choices, too many possible actions.

What you could try is listing each thing, and also listing the next action that has to happen. Examples:
  • Shovel snow on front walk. (Get shovel out of garage.)
  • Read War and Peace. (Read pages 1-10.)
  • Learn Java programming. (Do exercise 1.1 in programming book.)

Be *very* specific about what the next step is for each thing you want to do.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
18-02-2018, 09:41 PM
At 24, most things in my life are about self-improvement or enjoyment. If it's not something that is directly benefiting me I usually don't do it. Plenty of things don't directly benefit me but still make me feel good, like helping family/friends with things when they're in need. I don't really make it a point to have X amount of goals or X amount of hobbies, just kind of go with the flow and try to erase the garbage as I go.

Big part of this is eliminating toxic friends/relatives from my day to day life. Sucks but needs to be done if you're working on you.
[+] 2 users Like RBMG's post
19-02-2018, 05:19 PM
(18-02-2018 09:41 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Big part of this is eliminating toxic friends/relatives from my day to day life. Sucks but needs to be done if you're working on you.

A good way to tell if someone is really your friend: When you work on yourself, are they supportive, or are they upset and trying to make it all about them instead? (One person I "evicted" was unhappy that I graduated from a computer certification program. Another freaked out when I started uncluttering my house. Good riddance to both of 'em.)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
19-02-2018, 06:10 PM
I want to have enough stuff that when I die, the influx of goods from my estate destabilizes the local economy.

A guy can dream, can't he??

Tongue

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
19-02-2018, 08:22 PM
(19-02-2018 05:19 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(18-02-2018 09:41 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Big part of this is eliminating toxic friends/relatives from my day to day life. Sucks but needs to be done if you're working on you.

A good way to tell if someone is really your friend: When you work on yourself, are they supportive, or are they upset and trying to make it all about them instead? (One person I "evicted" was unhappy that I graduated from a computer certification program. Another freaked out when I started uncluttering my house. Good riddance to both of 'em.)

I literally JUST made an instagram post about this today - crazy. I was talking about how I can always tell fake friends by analyzing their reactions when I tell them good news. I said, in so many words, fake friends will always be unenthusiastic when you tell them good news or progress you're making and/or will make the conversation about something good that happened to them or someone they know.

I like you! Smile

lol and yes, good riddance to em!
19-02-2018, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2018 10:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-02-2018 11:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Periodically I make a list of things, things I want to do, should do, need to do, must do.

I glance at it in the morning - I have it by the coffee machine. Then I pick what to do that day - balancing what I want and what I must do.

After a while, some things are done, and some things just become irrelevant and drop off the list.

I used to do that. I can't be bothered with that anymore. Ain't got no time for that. I just start coding and see where Bob Ross is gonna take my system's canvas today. Hasn't let me down yet. Smile ... I mean except for when he up and died and shit. Drinking Beverage There's a reason why Knuth entitled his seminal works The Art Of Computer Programming. He was making a point. Smile

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus
20-02-2018, 12:37 AM
(17-02-2018 11:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Periodically I make a list of things, things I want to do, should do, need to do, must do.

This is actually really effective for me. Sometimes I will only finish like, 10% of my list. Sometimes 90%. Once in a blue moon I'll do all of the things on my list and certainly feel a sense of accomplishment from doing so. I think writing things down tends to motivate most folks more so than simply saying in your head, "I've got to do this, this and that later." Often, we won't even remember what we told ourselves earlier and even if we do I think it's easier to put it off, because it's really only a thought in your head.

For me there is something about writing something down and even assigning times to each activity that really solidifies those tasks in reality for me... it just makes me more likely to get things done. Sometimes my list will be simple...

1. Make bed
2. Clean downstairs
3. Do laundry
4. Clean car

Other days it will be super complex, but even if I get 10% on tuesday, I shoot to get 25% done on Wednesday, or whatever. Constant improvement!