How much believability does Paul's testimony add to the Jesus story?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: How much believability does Paul's testimony add to the Jesus story?
(14-06-2017 03:36 PM)seoq Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm definitely not trying to proselytize. I've just spent a lot of time around fundamentalist Christians.

You have to understand that things like Answers in Genesis actually makes sense to some people. Well when you've spent so much time around people such as that, the idea that Paul existed as depicted in the Bible seems like a 100% sane belief. I guess for an outsider though we must all seem insane.

That is the results of being inside the 'Christian belief bubble'.

When I was stuck inside my belief bubble, and I got to the point I really wanted to research my beliefs, all the research I did was from inside the belief bubble. .

As soon as I was really challenged to do research from sources not within my 'belief bubble', my beliefs would no longer hold up. The evidence did not support them, the logical arguments were fallacious, the sources were not even close to being as credible as I was lead to believe.

Just remember, there are 1.5 billion Muslims and 1.1 billion Hindus, who are also inside their 'belief bubbles', who you have almost no beliefs in common with. And their evidence and arguments is no worse than yours.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post
24-06-2017, 04:36 PM
(12-06-2017 10:50 AM)seoq Wrote:  Given that he knew people who knew Jesus first hand / people who allegedly witnessed Jesus' resurrection.

What resurrection?

Did you not notice that Jesus only appears before confidants -- biased witnesses -- and never before anyone who truly matters?

Why does Jesus refuse to appear before Pontius Pilate?

Why does Jesus refuse to appear before the Pharisees?

Doesn't it strike you as odd that Jesus never appears before any person or group who could possibly harm him physically?

Colossians 3:22-24 – "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

Ephesians 6:5 - "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ."

1 Peter 2:13 - "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority."

1 Peter 2:18 - "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

1 Timothy 6:1 - "1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered."

Why doesn't Jesus condemn Slavery, instead of teaching people to be good obedient slaves?

In fact, what kind of supposedly benevolent god would allow Slavery to exist and persist?

Jesus can create a plague that kills only the 1st-born in Egypt, but he can't create a plague that kills only Slave-owners?

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like Mircea's post
26-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Jesus, in the gospels, tells us ad nauseum to sell all we have and give to the poor. Paul never seems to directly quote Jesus on such sentiments. Despite supposedly being in contact with the surviving apostles in Jerusalem, Paul actually says almost nothing about the teachings of Jesus. He is waiting for Jesus to return and the world to be remade anew as per the prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah et al.

Paul never relates anything about Jesus' life in detail. It's either he does not care, or does not know any details.

So Paul is not reliable because he does not show he really knows anything about Jesus. He states beliefs, but not knowledge.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
26-06-2017, 09:45 AM
(14-06-2017 03:36 PM)seoq Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm definitely not trying to proselytize. I've just spent a lot of time around fundamentalist Christians.

You have to understand that things like Answers in Genesis actually makes sense to some people. Well when you've spent so much time around people such as that, the idea that Paul existed as depicted in the Bible seems like a 100% sane belief. I guess for an outsider though we must all seem insane.

I like you, you're willing to listen and learn you also acknowledge points you are respectful and you have humility without being a doormat, you are most welcome here and I hope you stay.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post